Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

looking for a team

Bringslite
Paddy Fitzpatrick
OK so butting in because I like to not mind my own business…

On one hand I know brings well enough to say he generally isn't like whoever the heck was guilty of whatever this Lucius guy was talking about. Maybe some group I haven't met yet or a relic from before my time or something I dunno. Cause that's pretty damn serious accusation there cause that sort of thing is some old bullshit IMO. I havent seen the domion guilty of it though for the most part. I talk to others and I do know the dominion guys have tried to redirect the new guys elsewhere. He ain't a totally bad guy Lucius.

On the flip side, I can see where this dude's objection came from cause well, I had read the OP as looking for group to party up with not looking for guild. That's why I asked what timezone the dude was in rather than asking either "what kinds guild ya lookin for?", "Join my guild because sales pitch!", or " click here to join the 'party' that also happens to be signing up for my faction but you don't need to think about that yet."

If the new player doesn't get that you are saying to sign up for their faction before telling them what your faction is (or thst this is what the player is in faxt doing), well, yeah I can see where someone else can get that idea that they are trying to herd new players into their own settlement before new players realize what's going on. It does come off pretty shady but again, I know in general you aren't that kinda shady guy (you just need to tell your faction to learn how to let loose and live a little lol). It came off all wrong but I think brings can be given the benefit of the doubt this time around.

Just don't do it again smile

Your endorsements are wonderful Paddy. How come you aren't in The Dominion's Press Corp?

Look, if I have to spell things out the long way because 1 and 1/2 people(or just probably one with two names) here read something once and assume that they understand the meaning behind it as sinister, well golly, that's silly.

Look at the responses to the OP: Do this research, go to this out of date info center, jump into this multi group mumble. Those are all great things to suggest, don't get me wrong.

Also don't assume that the new players who want to get into a group want to do all that. The % of these new players that just want to be SHOWN a quick and easy way(mechanically) TO DO THAT is not as small as you may think.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Huran
Honestly, I don't care either way as long as the OP gets what they need. I was just trying to keep my post as neutral as possible to avoid the forum drama that just happened.

For as helpful of a community we are, the sensitivity on these forums is pretty high. I am glad you have more guts than I do though to just post a step by step join this company. Sometimes we just need to bite the bullet and risk the potential high amount of drama.
"Circles of power, gathered by EARTH, welcomed by GOLD, in strife and in mirth. Focused by CRYSTAL, guided by LIGHT, showing the way, by day and by night. wrought in IRON, strengthened by STEEL, together we stand, in wrack and in weal. Hidden in SHADOW, explored by WOOD, we circle together, for the greater good." –Maxikyd– http://www.kotcguild.com/
Lucius
Bringslite
Lucius
But he didnt and ya didnt offer options yerself either. What was done matters not what might happen or could have happened. What was publicly said was come join us, nothing to worry about, we got free stuff, sure ya can always leave. Things that are true for any group still playing. Nothing about the recruiting group was said, nothing about others or how the general community is split up was said. Just a bunch of words anyone could say and might get a body in the door. Exactly like my experience by players just as old. Lets not pretend that such techniques arent used to take advantage of new people and its hard to tell the difference from the outside. Now I wont say a one off occasion like this has dropped anyone in mine eyes but if it becomes a thing I would have to say I would be disappointed.

Your problem with my post is…. your problem. I have spent many hours helping new players and even giving away gear by the metric ton. Some got some gear, some questions answered, and some advice including applying to groups other than those in the alliance that I belong to. I don't expect special recognition. Just giving another new player an option. Once we spend time with him, we would (as would he) know if he fits.

If the OP had come on here and written something more like "Hi I'm new. What is all this about? How does this stuff work? What should I be doing?" my response would have been: "Come to our teamspeak. I'll help you out and you need not join at all." I've done it probably 50+ times that way.

He came here and wrote "Looking for a team" though. Get yourself a cool drink and plz think before you write condescending things.

Same excuse I was fed last time I. Guess I was wrong my opinion has dropped yer just like the others too busy staring in the mirror to see anything from an outside perspective.

Good luck op sorry criticism derailed yer thread this much but had to be said.
Bringslite
I think I'll just leave this alone, except to write that I'm sorry you had a bad experience Lucius. Don't let it poison everything that you read related to this game. Perspectives are one sided. I'll try and be more careful to keep that in mind when I post.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Caldeathe Baequiannia
It's tough for anyone to do anything when it comes to recruiting but talk about their intentions. Most of the expected mechanics that will actually make any one group mechanically different from the others (as opposed to philosophically) aren't even on the horizon yet. There are lots of good options for grouping up, whether it's for the evening, the next week, month, or as long as you play the game.

Bringslite's point that there is nothing that locks you into a group is correct. Players are valuable to any group, and joining one only to leave it a week later is trivial. After a while, the decision gets more and more difficult, because you will likely accumulate a substantial bank that may take help, or a lot of tedious effort to move to a new location. My company's decision to change settlements a year ago was inconvenient, and some of us still have stuff in banks back where we started.

Your first few weeks of play is when you are fastest at accumulating "influence" which you can only do inside a company of at least six players. That makes you valuable from day one to any company you try out, even if you leave them a few days later. If you don't join a company, it costs you nothing for the first month or two, that influence simply doesn't accumulate. After you start to hit tier 2 training, you have to be attached to a player settlement to qualify, but that will take a while.

There is no rush for you to join a company, but there is no real downside to it. In the meantime, every settlement on the map wants you to join them, and if you can get something for trying them out, why not?

I actually read Bringslite's post as a little tongue-in-cheek, but perhaps my read on that is coloured by having known him on the forums and in-game for about 2 years. I don't think there was anything sketchy about the recruitment attempt, but of course, everyone's expectations are personal. I guarantee a new player could do worse than hooking up with Staalgard for a while. They are close to the starter area, and will get good support from the players. The support is probably true of most groups you could join, but there is none (active) that is closer to Thornkeep, with a variety of regular activities for low-level players.

I, of course, would prefer you join my settlement, but that's a significant hike across the map. On the other hand, if you enjoy mining coal, it's hard to beat.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Mistwalker
Something to keep in mind is that players joining your company raise your influence cap - but this cap goes back down if they leave. This means that just getting the player to join will not benefit your company if they do not stay.

I have the impression that most veteran companies are at or close to max cap in influence.

Also you may want to keep in mind that some companies keep resources in the company vault for new players (I know that I do in Thorn Keep and in High Road), but those players can only access those vaults if they are part of the company. If they leave, they get to keep what they took/learned, no fuss.
Jokken
Oooh if this sort of disagreement happens when on character comes looking for a group to join, imagine the turmoil and gnashing of teeth that will bubble forth when 300 freshly greased porcine enter the game for capture, erm, recruitment. It's true, many of us were not overtly pushing our groups in this thread. I don't think 8 big blurbs bombing into the thread hard pitching the guy to join groups A-F because each one is better than the others, can give you everything you want, is absolutely the best, oh and we're made of rainbow/evil sprinkles and puppies.

That said, I don't blame Bringslite for having the moxy to be the guy that gives a full pitch. People are the one thing that are pretty impossible to farm at the moment. From observations, GW might want to design a fair, equal access recruitment system like the old Thornkeep Hawker concept prior to new corp spending Ad money, or sensitive gamers are going to start popping like watermelon head shots.

TLsmileR nearly every active power bloc can offer the services, free stuff, and training to a new player for the first 4-6 months of play. Nearly every active power bloc is willing to do so for nearly any player entering the game. As Cal said, we may have subtle differing philosophical flavors, but we're all the same brand of ice cream. Most of us have multiple settlments populated by 1-5 players each looking for 50 more people to join them. I dearly hope than when new players do appear in numbers there is a better, organized pathway to recruitment than someone saying, "Hi, I'm new here, what's this game about?", followed by 18 ctl-V spams about join my most awesome settlement because we are the most awesome people who do everything awesome, here's some awesome stuff, you awesome person, you." Not helpful in the least.
Go West for freedom and adventure! Join the free soil settlers of High Road. Be a positive and constructive force for freedom in the Bulwark Hills. www.coalroad.com/hrc
Bringslite
@ Ma3gor

If you are still around, just remember the steps. Look up the company that you are interested in from the tower icon in the top left of your in game screen. There are two of them up there. You want the left most one. Input the company that you are interested in. You can use it to look up whole settlements as well. The right side of that pop up window will have the info after you choose from your search results.

Sorry about the derail. This community is pretty great, until you show anything that can be thought of as aggressive tendency. Which is kind of weird if you sit back and think about it a bit.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Yeah I know and get all that. Let's face it anytime any of is recruit we all kinds come off like creepy boyfriends these days cause this game is so starved for players that we see any hint of new player activity and go "OMG RECRUIT!" Can't entirely blame us cause well, this game does need to jump start the population in some major way. There ain't much we can do to control that. I know we mean well here despite that so again let's give the benefit of the doubt.

My only thing was that we can do some things to alleviate the creepiness a bit. I was saying before how i can see both sides of the argument, not sure if folks got that from my last post. I was trying to say earlier it could have been worded better or just to wait until the guy expressed some more explicit interest in joining a spot. I had no problem with a recruitment pitch, just that there were a few crticisms I had, mainly…

- Didn't say who Staalgard was with, or who Brings represented beforehand. Personally I say ya gotta be up front about who ya are. It's important in any group, and personally from a group like mine where there is a high level of risk not saying who we are and then our new guy wondering why they are being treated like a common criminal would be a very very bad, intentional or not.

- Saying Staalgard was a new player city. Now I am guessing this meant that this is a city where we wanna have new players from the Dominion go to help them better rather than suggesting that this is a neutral starter city that is unaffiliated but that needed to be more clear. A new player ain't gonna know that. I do cause I know brings pretty well but some random dude may totally get the wrong idea and think "ah cool a newbie settlement." when it is a faction which, while they got good people, they have a specific type of RP and specific styles of play and expectations. This is even more important when ya consider the in game politics. Which faction you pick in this game has a lot of political import too ya know. Again, goes back to just being up front about it when throwing out the sales pitch. I didn't get that vibe from it.

- It's…also not that close to TK, lol. Forgeholm is closer and frankly Aragon isn't much further out, maybe by a few hexes tops. smile

That was it though. Again, don't care that it was a pitch, just, trying to help improve for next time that is all.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Bringslite
@ Ma3gor

If you are still around, just remember the steps. Look up the company that you are interested in from the tower icon in the top left of your in game screen. There are two of them up there. You want the left most one. Input the company that you are interested in. You can use it to look up whole settlements as well. The right side of that pop up window will have the info after you choose from your search results.

Sorry about the derail. This community is pretty great, until you show anything that can be thought of as aggressive tendency. Which is kind of weird if you sit back and think about it a bit.

Sounds like a mix of bad player experiences and the political stuff if ya ask me. The politics are real.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post