Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Armor capped at 12 keywords?

Eden
I have been told the most keywords/gear value one may acquire is capped at 12.
I have a character who has a level 10 armor feat combined with a +3 set of t3 armor and his gear value is now at 12. 2 major keywords and 4 minor, however there is another keyword available if I get his armor rank up to 12. Can I get a 13th keyword if I do this or will it only give me the feat bonus stat bumps? If I can't get the keyword because I'm capped at 12, why is it setup like this? Seems like there would be no desire to dump a bunch of exp into getting my secondary stat to 16 and pay for an armor feat to 12 if it is only bonus stats and not the keyword bonuses available. I understand that by getting to 14 you could choose a different type of armor that matches a different major keyword but is that really worth it? Please enlighten me.
Smitty
I play a wizard – use the mage armor feat –

I eventually plan to take my secondary stat to 18 ( not sure about the 20 yet) –looking to get to rank 13 armor feature..– the reason I am thinking 13 is because of the static bonuses I get.

For mage armor feat rank 13 I get 12 physical and 17 base defense as the static bonuses- Am fairly certain I will get those things even in T2. ( Once threading is a thing I will still get those higher bonuses even If I wear T2). It may not be the first thing I work on but it is something that I will work on..

As to will I ever get to secondary 20? And get 1 more keyword, just to have the option to use a different armor? Probably not- ..
Azure_Zero
The Keywords at levels 12, and 14 are ALTERNATE keywords.
In other words you have alternate armours you can use with better matching words then without these alternate words.
Huran
Yes - exactly what Azure_Zero says.

If you look at the keywords your armor feat gives you and compare it to all of the wearable armors, you will only get 12 at the most. Depending on which armor you wear, you will always lose one or two depending on how high your armor feat is. For example, you will not see an armor with both the medium and light keywords.

Whether it is really worth it to train that armor feat beyond level 10 or not is up to the person training the feat I suppose. I personally like the added versatility, especially when you someday compare costs of light vs heavy or medium armor - the lighter ones should be a little more cost effective. You also get other bonuses the higher your armor feat is.
"Circles of power, gathered by EARTH, welcomed by GOLD, in strife and in mirth. Focused by CRYSTAL, guided by LIGHT, showing the way, by day and by night. wrought in IRON, strengthened by STEEL, together we stand, in wrack and in weal. Hidden in SHADOW, explored by WOOD, we circle together, for the greater good." –Maxikyd– http://www.kotcguild.com/
Duffy Swiftshadow
T3 armors rearrange some of the keyword progressions such that it moves what used to be a +# keyword to the base level and then grants a new +3 minor keyword at rank 12. At rank 12 you should have 13 matching keywords on a T3+3 armor. The alternate keyword at 14 usually allows you to use a different weight class of armor with that feat, which will give you different resistances. This let's you swap armors for specific tasks within a single armor feat. That last two levels of the armor feat get you a bit more bonus and utility for the XP cost.

However, there are a few exceptions on some of the armor feats for example Crusader rearranges a bunch of it's keywords and then gives you Adamantine as it's level 14 alternate which lets you use another heavy armor geared more towards fighter, but actually using one of those armors loses a minor to do so. Not sure if it's really that useful.

You will also notice that there seems to be an extra keyword on some of the T3 armors that doesn't seem to have a way to activate, take a look at the Crusader's Plate and Scale which both seem to have 'Dedicated' that doesn't match anything. It's possible that may be planned for another class like Paladins to use it, but without giving the extra keyword to Clerics. Don't know at this point and that doesn't really seem like it would make sense.
Edam
Duffy Swiftshadow
You will also notice that there seems to be an extra keyword on some of the T3 armors that doesn't seem to have a way to activate, take a look at the Crusader's Plate and Scale which both seem to have 'Dedicated' that doesn't match anything. It's possible that may be planned for another class like Paladins to use it, but without giving the extra keyword to Clerics. Don't know at this point and that doesn't really seem like it would make sense.

There was T1/T2 armor around in Aplha with the dedicated keyword and Ryan confirmed it was intended for Paladins.
Duffy Swiftshadow
I find it weird that they put an extra word on there to make them 'cross' compatible instead of just giving them the same words, but I guess it makes sense if the armor options narrowed the higher you got in the Tiers.
Edam
I actually like the system. My cleric for example is wearing Adamantine Chain as a combat armor with the Wright feat (gives regen and heavy/light melee bobuses) . The choice is partly motivated be easy availability of that armor and partly because dropping a minor keyword (light) to get medium saves is a fair trade off. That sort of meaningful choice makes things interesting.

The alternative is the standard MMO style "once you everyone the + one million shiney armor of super awesomeness thats all anyone will ever need till something better turns up in the next release "
Duffy Swiftshadow
I do like the system a lot, just a few minor logical or dead end inconsistencies here and there, but some of that might depend on what we don't have yet.

Clerics are neat as they hit a sweet spot as 20 Wisdom or Strength are the only stats that allow someone to grab every Armor proficiency (assuming you leveled up an appropriate matching Armor feat). This is of course due to Cleric having an armor feat based around each weight class. Fighter has 2/3 of the weight classes while the Strength based crafters use a Light armor.
Azure_Zero
Clerics don't have a light armour, Duffy.
I do wish Healer had it.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post