Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dear devs...

Midnight
Is it acceptable for players to claim hexes that they cannot place holdings in?

1) Is it acceptable for players to claim Escalation (lion) hexes?

2) Is it acceptable for players to claim monster home hexes?

3) Is it acceptable for players to claim blue shield road hexes?

4) Is it acceptable for players to claim the old starter settlements?

5) Is it acceptable for players to claim Thornkeep?

I understand we can't kill newbies in Thornkeep, for instance, but someone claiming Thornkeep could find a variety of ways to punish "trespassers" who violate their claims (such as putting them on KOS lists anywhere that PvP *is* allowed).

A published claim on some blue shield hexes made me wonder as to your intent for where (if anywhere) players ought to be free from coercion by other players.

I actually have no opinion on how it should be (thus this isn't in crowdforging), I just want to hear from the devs what the players can and can't get away with when it comes to territorial aggression and coercion.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Why should the devs care what anyone "claims" in a sandbox?
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Midnight
I'm not sure they should.

I'm just wondering if they do.

I'm curious as to the devs' intent, because what I've read in the past made me surprised that someone would claim blue shield hexes.

I'd like to know what they devs will allow before people start making even more extreme edge cases such as…

Can a player or group publicly claim the Thornkeep refineries and crafting stations and announce they'll put anyone seen using one on a KOS list?

Can a player or group publicly claim the Marchmont bank as their personal bank and threaten to repeatedly kill any character observed using it?

What the devs will allow as far as territoriality will influence which of my friends I would recommend the game to. Some of my friends would love a world that is more (territorially) hardcore than Eve. Other friends of mine would hate that. Not everyone would enjoy limitless inescapable coercion.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Decius
When behavior reaches griefing levels, then the devs should get involved. Griefing is not precisely defined; that is a feature.

Claim whatever you want. Claiming something doesn't make it yours. You Have What You Hold.

Some groups might make large claims, just because they don't expect to be contested. They might make large disclaims to appease neighbors and strangers. Or they might claim the Thornkeep Keep itself, and become a laughingstock when the Lords of Thornkeep mock them at court.
Bob
In general, we just provide game mechanics that make it harder or easier to enforce certain kinds of claims, and you're free to make whatever claims you're capable of enforcing. Heck, feel free to make claims you have no hope of enforcing, sounds like good times.

That said, we have asked everyone to avoid PvP in NPC settlements and other starter areas until we're able to beef up the Thornguards there. I can also imagine that if certain kinds of claims in and around Thornkeep in particular were likely to ruin the experience for new players, we'd look at discouraging such claims. Hasn't been a problem so far, and hopefully we'll be able to improve the mechanical enforcement systems around Thornkeep before it does.
Midnight
Decius,

While I respect your opinion, and don't necessarily disagree, I really want to hear the devs' intent, since someone (me or the Dominion) misunderstood what devs intended for the blue shield hexes.

I actually don't care who understood them and considering that I pay less attention to dev blogs than some more devoted players I don't mind being the one who misunderstood. It's just important to me to understand their intent. It will affect how aggressively I play as well as which friends I'd suggest the game to.

Any answer can be entertaining to certain types of players. I just want to understand how far I can go with territoriality and how far my fellow players can go in their claims. For instance, I (and some peers) stopped chasing people off a particular hex on Zombie Kitten Mountain once they put the blue shield hexes on the map.

(LOL, the devs answered while I was still typing this)
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
So, I can kill people on a blue shield hex on ZKM all day long if I don't care about rep?
-Edmund Burke
Bob
Midnight
Can a player or group publicly claim the Thornkeep refineries and crafting stations and announce they'll put anyone seen using one on a KOS list?

Can a player or group publicly claim the Marchmont bank as their personal bank and threaten to repeatedly kill any character observed using it?

Trying to prevent players from using Thornkeep facilities would ruin the experience for new players, so we'd definitely push back on that.

Marchmont's a more complicated question, since it's no longer a starter settlement. We'd have to think a bit more about exactly what we're going to do with those settlements for the long-term before deciding if there are any limits on such public declarations.
Midnight
If veteran players can make unlimited use of Thornkeep facilities, there is a LOT that unassociated characters can accomplish there. Once threading goes in, and/or if PVP becomes constant, ubiquitous and inescapable, players might even PREFER to stick with the lower level of gearing one can get away with as a Thornkeep resident without having to join a settlement.

Threading could cause players to choose lower level but widely skilled (and thus adaptable) characters as GDIs, rather than going for specialized tier 3 characters that have to play settlement politics. If so, Thornkeep would be where the smart money lives.
-Edmund Burke
You are a Troll
Midnight
Once threading goes in, and/or if PVP becomes constant, ubiquitous and inescapable,

There isn't anyone who likes playing games like that, and if there are, they should please find another game. smile

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post