Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Dear devs...

Bringslite
Regardless of how the server and community turns out with population, no one that wanted to exercise that kind of power over others would have to claim anything. They could announce ANYTHING that they wanted to announce as "forbidden" and put anyone on KOS lists at will. Particular hexes haven't a single thing to do with that.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Midnight
If veteran players can make unlimited use of Thornkeep facilities, there is a LOT that unassociated characters can accomplish there.

There's already at least one disadvantage to crafting out of Thornkeep (lower facility ratings, so lower crafting speeds), and more could go in over time. Of course, some players may find that trade off worth their while, depending on their personal goals. We're not trying to design things such that no player would ever choose to stay in Thornkeep, just such that most players would choose to operate out of player settlements.
Midnight
Bob
Midnight
If veteran players can make unlimited use of Thornkeep facilities, there is a LOT that unassociated characters can accomplish there.

There's already at least one disadvantage to crafting out of Thornkeep (lower facility ratings, so lower crafting speeds), and more could go in over time. Of course, some players may find that trade off worth their while, depending on their personal goals. We're not trying to design things such that no player would ever choose to stay in Thornkeep, just such that most players would choose to operate out of player settlements.

I'd suggest (if you don't already) that you also keep in mind the multiple account players who can have the best of both worlds, as you contemplate this kind of thing and how to balance it. I can have characters in a settlement, and others that can sit out the politics and wars.

The day open enrollment opens, if this game is a million player success, the place to get rich for at least the first 2 months will be Thornkeep. Because of that, you really need to decide how much you'll let veteran players (including any of their indy characters who can't be feuded) kill each other to control Thornkeep.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
You are a Troll
Midnight
Once threading goes in, and/or if PVP becomes constant, ubiquitous and inescapable,

There isn't anyone who likes playing games like that, and if there are, they should please find another game. smile

Once threading goes in, depending on how much gear remains unprotected, this game could be very close to a full loot game. That alone could easily make the game one of ubiquitous PvP.

Considering full looting PvP (minus threaded items) has always been the announced intent for the game, it would be more than fair for me to suggest that those that don't want constant, ubiquitous and inescapable PvP should be the ones looking for another game.

I don't even need to crowdforge for that. The full-loot intent indicated in dev blogs and just a little understanding of how MMO players behave towards each other suggests it is very likely our future. The only player behavior that stands in the way of that is player hierarchies that may try to extract rent/tax in exchange for the constant threat of violence to prevent actual violence. My experience in that other sandbox MMO suggests that such mafia/government protection rackets might make some places *feel* safer than others.

But make no mistake… taxes and rents *are* PvP, and if the only way to travel safely is to pay them, then you will be living in a world of ubiquitous PvP. If you're more comfortable handing someone the cost of your armor every week, than having people take it off your husk, there are many of us PvPers who will accept your protection payments and offer you the illusion that you aren't part of the ubiquitous PvP that full-looting created just because you avoided combat.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Decius
Motte and Bailey.

If you count "I pay taxes to live in an area where ganking is rare" as constant, ubiquitous, and inescapable PvP, then PvP does not have the negative implications that you are trying to evoke.
Midnight
Decius
Motte and Bailey.

If you count "I pay taxes to live in an area where ganking is rare" as constant, ubiquitous, and inescapable PvP, then PvP does not have the negative implications that you are trying to evoke.

I wasn't trying to invoke negative implications. My main point was that Thornkeep level crafting becomes more appealing once equipped gear can drop, especially given the way threading has been described.

Part of that is my prediction that equipped gear dropping is likely to spur ubiquitous PvP combat, but also admitting the likelihood that extortion schemes may mitigate the need to take people's stuff through combat.

I am already a member of an alliance that has collected protection money, even under the current loot drop mechanics. People pay to avoid the aspect of the game I like best. C'est la guerre.
-Edmund Burke
You are a Troll
Well, I look forward to very robust game-mechanic disincentives toward that kind of anti-social behavior. I think we have already been down the lulz/tear harvesting road that EoX liked to engage in and all it resulted in was a part of the players who backed the KS and were looking forward to this game to leave. I suggest people looking for constant and inescapable PvP go play a MOBA or something that is designed to provide just that.
Midnight
Decius
Motte and Bailey.

I'm going to approach this from a different direction…

Tier 3 players choosing to be steadily pickpocketed on schedule by some authority because the world became more dangerous once equipped gear starts dropping won't detract from my premise that equipped gear dropping will make the world more dangerous, and that Thornkeep level crafting will have more appeal.. if for no other reason than those equipped in that lower gear may be better able to skip payoffs to protection rackets.
-Edmund Burke
Bringslite
Midnight
Decius
Motte and Bailey.

I'm going to approach this from a different direction…

Tier 3 players choosing to be steadily pickpocketed on schedule by some authority because the world became more dangerous once equipped gear starts dropping won't detract from my premise that equipped gear dropping will make the world more dangerous, and that Thornkeep level crafting will have more appeal.. if for no other reason than those equipped in that lower gear may be better able to skip payoffs to protection rackets.

Why not just craft lower quality gear AT your settlement where it can be crafted faster and for less cost?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
You are a Troll
Well, I look forward to very robust game-mechanic disincentives toward that kind of anti-social behavior. I think we have already been down the lulz/tear harvesting road that EoX liked to engage in and all it resulted in was a part of the players who backed the KS and were looking forward to this game to leave. I suggest people looking for constant and inescapable PvP go play a MOBA or something that is designed to provide just that.

I'm going to ignore the lies and trolling to point out…

The most likely path to making people's gear drop will be the feuding that the devs totally approve of. But rather than a forever war where only 2 groups fight each other over some grudge, imagine EVERY group coveting each other's equipped gear and finally having an incentive to feud someone.
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post