Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Investor Update May 30, 2016

Duffy Swiftshadow
Depends on your mentality, I'm perfectly fine losing every extra dime above and beyond subscription fees that I put into PFO because I knew what I was getting into. I've enjoyed what I've done immensely to this point. If it wasn't playable yet sure I would have just had my initial investment but I'm fine writing that portion and the 'extra' I paid afterwards off, if I wasn't I wouldn't kickstart things, that's kind of the whole point.

The whole crowdfunding thing might not be for everyone, that's okay. I'm just glad that I've enjoyed it so far and that it looks like there is a good chance it will get saved for the long run.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
I dunno if id say this gsme is vaporware. If ya got actual software for folks to use it means they made some stuff.

Now whether that stuff is good or bad is another thing, but it aint like the software dont exist.

People used to say other games like that star citizen was vaporware too but that sure aint the case anymore.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Midnight
Paddy Fitzpatrick
I dunno if id say this gsme is vaporware. If ya got actual software for folks to use it means they made some stuff.

Now whether that stuff is good or bad is another thing, but it aint like the software dont exist.

People used to say other games like that star citizen was vaporware too but that sure aint the case anymore.

I'm still waiting for the first M in this MMO. Until then, the MMO is vaporware, or at the very least 5 months late. I don't know what your voicecomms are like, but on ours, whenever we see someone on our mini-map, people excitedly exclaim "person!"
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Thod-Theodum
@Midnight
First - don't feed the troll. Whoever it is - we know there is some animosity between him and Golgotha. Now back to optimism and how the game develops. I'm following this game as well as Star Citizen (I'm not invested in that game - just out of interest) as it develops.
Both have some parts on common. Both got started by a 'visionary' who wanted to revolutionise how game design is been done. Of the two games PFO was a Kickstarter failure - it just hobbled across the finish line. This for a game on a low budget was problematic from the start. SC in contrast is the biggest crowd forging success in history.
PFO went public early - some would say way too early. It only had bare bones implemented and lacked any polish at all. SC - well - backers still seem to wait for most of the game and what seems available now isn't the game itself that was promised.
In my view PFO had all the bad press early. It can only get better - apart of being shut down. SC on the other hand is in the problematic situation to fulfil what backers expect - in my view something no matter how well it will turn out - they will be unable to do.

Now to your personal problem with the game. This game is meant to be social. As such you are effected more then Duffy or members of the Emerald Lodge by the delay - as it resulted in Golgotha leaving the game and a chance of return dwindling with every day.
Compare this to the Aeonien League - a small group and especially Hope's End - a group that long struggled to recruit enough members to be viable. Or look at Emerald Lodge - we have reinvented ourselves since September as a great place to do business. Both these groups took advantage of the current situation - and members can see a raised profile.
Golgotha - well - it is a sad sight whenever I go through the settlement and see it abandoned.
Regarding bulk resources this is a clever move. Members just go training elsewhere (for example EL) while the game is in waiting position. But it surely will drag on the self esteem. The key to belonging in PFO is your settlement. With Golgotha in such a sorry state I would depressed as a member. For Golgotha each day of delay is a loss. For some others it isn't as they play on, maneuver themselves into better positions.
Doesn't mean it will last - I'm realistic and we are tiny. But EL wouldn't be where it is if Stache would be still in the game.

Think about that and maybe you understand why the same information (some more weeks) is interpreted differently.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Bringslite
I think that those still subbed and playing are that small niche that actually enjoy enough about the play available to get satisfaction from it. Those that are still subbed but play infrequently or not at all are those that at least have a bit of hope that they will see the game as originally envisioned.

Others will not bother until they see more substance. Some have simply given up and moved on. They may have found something else. The world is wide. Human perceptions and values are deep and different. Everyone's sense of enjoyment is their own. It could be possible that some of the diehard players here now will not like the game when it is more crowded and even more competitive. We'll see.

I doesn't amaze me that much.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
@Thod

I could be very active even without my mates, but a new regime also brings worries of finding all the effort was wasted (e.g. a wipe). I also worry that whatever PFO becomes under new leadership may not be the game I was hoping for, and thus even if I get to keep my phat lewtz it could become phat lewtz in a game I don't want to play.

Those worries may be unfounded, but since the layoff announcements, some of you folks have bet over 500 hours of grinding that your effort isn't wasted. (figured at 20 hours of play a week since August).

Also, if the game were to actually take off and have a massive population join up, increasing our little stockpiles would be insignificant anyway, in the long run. I'm already ahead of the (yet to arrive) masses, so I can certainly survive and thrive, and I don't see any need to keep up with the HRC.

But for me, the biggest problem is that there a lot of games better than the current rendition of PFO, so each time I play I'm dragging myself from a superior game to an inferior game based on nothing more than hype and hope.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
@Bringslite

What I don't get is why they play PFO, given all the other choices available to them. I understand why they want PFO to succeed, the promise of what it will be is great. But there are dozens of games better than PFO, many of them with no subscription costs, some with no purchase cost, even. From my vantage point, PFO just looks like gamblers chasing their losses. Even keeping ~20% of my accounts active feels that way.

It would be entirely logical for me (or anyone) to not spend any time or money and wait for what happens. Like I've said, we're far ahead of the (yet to arrive) masses, so a big question for me is: is today's PFO actually the best game you can be playing?

Heck, I haven't even maxed my characters in a lot of games like SWTOR, TSW, and ESO… and Eve is still available for sandboxing.

Am I alone in finding PFO's PvE boring and a grind? I know they aren't done yet, but how many months would someone endure it, compared to what else is out there?
-Edmund Burke
Bringslite
Midnight
@Thod

I could be very active even without my mates, but a new regime also brings worries of finding all the effort was wasted (e.g. a wipe). I also worry that whatever PFO becomes under new leadership may not be the game I was hoping for, and thus even if I get to keep my phat lewtz it could become phat lewtz in a game I don't want to play.

Those worries may be unfounded, but since the layoff announcements, some of you folks have bet over 500 hours of grinding that your effort isn't wasted. (figured at 20 hours of play a week since August).

Also, if the game were to actually take off and have a massive population join up, increasing our little stockpiles would be insignificant anyway, in the long run. I'm already ahead of the (yet to arrive) masses, so I can certainly survive and thrive, and I don't see any need to keep up with the HRC.

But for me, the biggest problem is that there a lot of games better than the current rendition of PFO, so each time I play I'm dragging myself from a superior game to an inferior game based on nothing more than hype and hope.

This was directed at Thod. Pardon me for hijacking it, but I wanted to comment.

The effort IS the play and IS enjoyable. If you only look at it as "I may be wasting my time here. It might die and I could be building up a strong position in MMO X with my time." then I can understand better where you are coming from. Maybe you(and many others, frankly) just have a different take on what is fun?

The time spent is looked at as worthy entertainment and valued as such, by some. You maybe are not one of those people.

From my point of view, there isn't any superior MMO. Sure there are better graphics out there. Some do certain things better. None do everything better or have the same vision. Part of what is important to me is that most of the features or planned ones mesh with what I like. If you feel you are dragging yourself away from other "superior games" then I would also be confused by those of us that do not feel the same.

If it wasn't engaging enough now, I felt there are superior games available, I felt no satisfaction piling stuff up because I think the game will make it, I would wonder what the hell I am doing playing and hanging in there too.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
Midnight
@Bringslite

What I don't get is why they play PFO, given all the other choices available to them. I understand why they want PFO to succeed, the promise of what it will be is great. But there are dozens of games better than PFO, many of them with no subscription costs, some with no purchase cost, even. From my vantage point, PFO just looks like gamblers chasing their losses. Even keeping ~20% of my accounts active feels that way.

It would be entirely logical for me (or anyone) to not spend any time or money and wait for what happens. Like I've said, we're far ahead of the (yet to arrive) masses, so a big question for me is: is today's PFO actually the best game you can be playing?

Heck, I haven't even maxed my characters in a lot of games like SWTOR, TSW, and ESO… and Eve is still available for sandboxing.

Am I alone in finding PFO's PvE boring and a grind? I know they aren't done yet, but how many months would someone endure it, compared to what else is out there?

I don't really enjoy those games that you list here. I haven't seen one yet, that isn't much more than a concept, that is more attractive than PfO.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
Midnight

Hell NO! Not alone at all. At least not ALL THE TIME. I have periods where I get sick of "grinding" escalations for Phat Dropz. There are many other things that I enjoy doing besides that kind of PVE. There is never enough time to do everything that I want to do.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post