Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Territory claims are casual unfriendly, even to veteran players.

Paddy Fitzpatrick
Midnight
And to people who have expansive claims, of course.

Yeah, see this is where i had chimed in at least a week or two ago.

If someone claiming territory has got say holdings in most if not all those claimed hexes, then in game if ya just pay attention to those flags in your minimap you can SEE who holds that hex. Hence why HOLDINGS should be the standard for what territory people hold if ya wanna keep things simple. It also will be a nice reminder down the road for vets and newbies alike, always good to have something in game to check.

I also say this cause i did learn of at least one fsction who backed their territory hex claims up with holdings in most of those hexes and thus wound up eating my words about territory by fiat. Maybe it wasnt every single one but there aint no reason to rules lawyer this. If the vast majority of hexes in the region have holdings, you can probably guess that the one or two that faction missed will probably still count unless it borders someone else.

If every faction has done this then it will be easy to get a glance at what territory they are in before seeing the forums. If they check the forums and/or then encounter someone from said territor, then it aint hard to put two and two together and its on the newcomer to decide what to do.

Now, if a faction has NOT done this and claims large swaths of hexes without enough holdings to back it up THEN i can see new folks being like "wtf is this shit". Then imo thats on the faction to handle right not the newcomer.

TL;DR - back your hex claims up with enough holdings to help avoid unwanted incidents.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Bringslite
Midnight
It's all very reasonable… to people who will pay $15 a month to be confined to a small area. smile

And to people who have expansive claims, of course.

I am just not seeing that anyone has been or will be confined to a "small area". Are there some territorial claims that are stating that unallied players may not enjoy the majority of the lands claimed by another?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Paddy Fitzpatrick
@Bringslite

Well no, i cant think of anything that has been that severe.

But is there anything stopping anyone from doing this in the future?
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Decius
In Rust, nobody posts claims. The result is that nobody knows how to avoid infringing on others' territory.

In PFO, claims are posted, letting everyone know what actions will not be considered infringing. Thus gatherers can go almost anywhere and get low and middle grade materials without worrying that an official posse will attack them, escalation hunters know if, and who, they should ask before working an escalation, and so forth.
Bringslite
Paddy Fitzpatrick
@Bringslite

Well no, i cant think of anything that has been that severe.

But is there anything stopping anyone from doing this in the future?

Nothing that I see now prevents that from possibly happening in the future. That includes territory claims now. What you are concerned about now will only be a situation in the future if players make it so. Most likely a situation imposed by the numbers of new players that will dwarf(beg pardons Dwarvenkind) the numbers of us that play now. If it happens, it will not be because of anything that we do here and now.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Duffy Swiftshadow
The claims create less of a generally hostile environment, less unknowns. It doesn't actually stop you from doing anything, it's just a guideline for expectant behavior. Instead of having to guess whats going to happen every time you run across someone or some group you'll know based on your own behavior and their claims what will happen next.

If you are unaware of claims, then it doesn't matter as the behavior is going to be the same from your point of view, which is to say somewhat random.

I've talked to several new players in the last week and 1/2 of them were leery of being near other people even in the middle of Thornkeep as they expected random and rampant ganking when running into unknowns, because that's what they were used to in the other sandbox games. It's kinda cool that we've managed to mostly avoid that, granted it can easily change in the future but hopefully it won't get too drastic without some mechanics coming into play.
Maxen
Midnight
It's all very reasonable… to people who will pay $15 a month to be confined to a small area.

I don't believe anyone is being confined. The HRC and the AL have said, "These are our corners of the sand box." What people seem to forget is that this game is about conquest and holding resources. Unfortunately all of that is hampered by an uber-low population that cannot sustain continuous game play. Future state: Hexes are changing hands or successfully defended daily as kingdoms/dominions/alliances vie for resources needed to support expansion or maintain their piece of the pie.
Midnight
Maxen
Midnight
It's all very reasonable… to people who will pay $15 a month to be confined to a small area.

I don't believe anyone is being confined. The HRC and the AL have said, "These are our corners of the sand box." What people seem to forget is that this game is about conquest and holding resources. Unfortunately all of that is hampered by an uber-low population that cannot sustain continuous game play. Future state: Hexes are changing hands or successfully defended daily as kingdoms/dominions/alliances vie for resources needed to support expansion or maintain their piece of the pie.

As with anything I point out about the game that might be limiting its audience, it is easy to point at all the other things that are wrong and dismiss this as a reason. That being said, I'm telling you from my own experience that I'd log in more often and play longer on those occasions that I log in if my options didn't seem as limited by territorial claims (and the political drama that could ensue), or if it didn't take a scholarly effort to know where I can and can't go and what I can and can't do in each place. If someone who has enjoyed the game and likes the community after 17 months and wants the game to succeed feels that way, I have to wonder how the next new player feels.

While I've noted that I can just follow other people, today I was on and no one was in our TeamSpeak. So then I have to decide on a personal adventure and immediately that makes much of the map feel cordoned off from me unless I want to do the scholar thing and figure out who will allow me to play the game I subscribe to, and how much play they'll permit. So, after handling some vault administrativia , I chose to go to work EARLY, rather than adventure in PFO.

Territory may be what the game is supposed to be, but we have to figure out a way to make this stuff easier on ourselves to understand. I can't be the only guy with wanderlust (and a penchant for phat and localized loot), can I? Or has everyone else just already done the scholar thing and learned all the claims, or are people just ignoring this stuff and I should too?
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Bringslite
@ Midnight

Do you feel it is better to have posted information about what to expect and where to expect it(even if not in a completely obvious place) than it is to not have such information posted anywhere?

Did you feel the same way that you feel now when Zombie Kitten Mountain was death for anyone other than EoX and those that they allowed to play there without threat of KOS?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Gross
ZKM being dangerous just made it much more satisfying for a T1 miner to sneak in and harvest copper! True adrenaline when something moved on mini map.
Mercenary monster hunter from Forgeholm
War priest of Angradd… patiently waiting on Goblinworks to deliver him (and greataxes, Dwarves need 2 handed axes).

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post