Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Has PFO lost its direction?

Caldeathe Baequiannia
Decius
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Quijenoth Starkiller
while I understand where your coming from Cal, I dont think your providing any solid argument to restrict gushers to more skilled/experienced players. the costs of mules, harvesting kits and a basic skill to find and harvest the gushers is all that is needed. If a player is willing to use a 1000xp naked alt to game the system how is that any different to 1000xp alts being used right now to capture outposts/holdings or in the past when capturing towers?
I'm not suggesting we restrict gushers at in any way. I think a harvesting kit to exploit a gusher should be a substantial apparatus that is too heavy for an alt to haul. That's all. It will effectively be a specialized outpost, but will not take an hour to put up as the outposts do (which presumes that your workers are hauling materials from the surrounding terrain to build the outpost and does not go active until the next PvP window.)
"Heavier than a mule can carry" is pretty heavy.
Did anyone in this thread ever say heavier than a mule can carry? I know I didn't.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Decius
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Decius
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Quijenoth Starkiller
while I understand where your coming from Cal, I dont think your providing any solid argument to restrict gushers to more skilled/experienced players. the costs of mules, harvesting kits and a basic skill to find and harvest the gushers is all that is needed. If a player is willing to use a 1000xp naked alt to game the system how is that any different to 1000xp alts being used right now to capture outposts/holdings or in the past when capturing towers?
I'm not suggesting we restrict gushers at in any way. I think a harvesting kit to exploit a gusher should be a substantial apparatus that is too heavy for an alt to haul. That's all. It will effectively be a specialized outpost, but will not take an hour to put up as the outposts do (which presumes that your workers are hauling materials from the surrounding terrain to build the outpost and does not go active until the next PvP window.)
Did anyone in this thread ever say heavier than a mule can carry? I know I didn't.
That's what "heavier than an alt can carry" means.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Decius
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Decius
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Quijenoth Starkiller
I knew that's where you were going, but I wanted you to actually come out and say it because it's a text-book example of interpreting things in an absurd fashion in order to score points.

So, hands up everyone who thinks that if I say "A bathtub full of cement is too heavy for a man to haul" I actually mean "A bathtub full of cement is too heavy for a man with an 18 wheel semi-trailer to haul? Or maybe a man with a 350,000 ton locomotive and a flatbed car.

Because, you know, "a man" means the same thing as "a man driving a semi-trailer" just like "an alt" means the same thing as "an alt with a mule."

Did you even consider, for the briefest of moments, that if a mule can't carry it, then no character can, regardless of how much XP they've spent? That's obviously what I'm after.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Look on theae t1 v t2 v t3 horde thing, why dont we just do some wargames/mock feuds and try this out? How many t1 does it take to take out one t2? How ablut two T2?

How many t2 does it take to take down a t3? Lets test it out
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Thod-Theodum
WHy so complicated?

Just set a level of forester, scavenger, miner or dowser level 4 - done.

This means 2483 XP or and investement of just over 1 day XP to be able to place a kit. It avoids any alt shenangians but won't exclude any new players. And I wouldn't regard anyone with gathering < level 4 a gatherer at all. You still want mules to transport everything away and fighters to clear the monsters.

Please also keep in mind that the original holding idea also had 'workers' in mind and the gathering skill of these also went into the bulk resource production. Should this ever happen then players will very quickly invest at least a minimum in gathering skills.
The main disadvantage in my view is assigning them will be a nightmare. It will work if a leader can assign his members - it will never work if a leader had to chase up people with whom he can't communicate to sign up for holding x in position y. But if a leader can assign them, then he can assign inactives as well (unless that is blocked - actually that might then work after all).
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Decius
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Decius
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Decius
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Quijenoth Starkiller
I knew that's where you were going, but I wanted you to actually come out and say it because it's a text-book example of interpreting things in an absurd fashion in order to score points.

So, hands up everyone who thinks that if I say "A bathtub full of cement is too heavy for a man to haul" I actually mean "A bathtub full of cement is too heavy for a man with an 18 wheel semi-trailer to haul? Or maybe a man with a 350,000 ton locomotive and a flatbed car.

Because, you know, "a man" means the same thing as "a man driving a semi-trailer" just like "an alt" means the same thing as "an alt with a mule."

Did you even consider, for the briefest of moments, that if a mule can't carry it, then no character can, regardless of how much XP they've spent? That's obviously what I'm after.

Now ask if someone wearing heavy armor should ever be able to be unencumbered with such a kit. Does the lower bound rise above the upper bound?
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Decius
Now ask if someone wearing heavy armor should ever be able to be unencumbered with such a kit. Does the lower bound rise above the upper bound?
Why would I care? If it encumbers them, they have the option of switching to lighter armour, (or using a mule, just like the alt).
Quijenoth Starkiller
Thod-Theodum
WHy so complicated?

Just set a level of forester, scavenger, miner or dowser level 4 - done.

This means 2483 XP or and investement of just over 1 day XP to be able to place a kit. It avoids any alt shenangians but won't exclude any new players. And I wouldn't regard anyone with gathering < level 4 a gatherer at all. You still want mules to transport everything away and fighters to clear the monsters.

Please also keep in mind that the original holding idea also had 'workers' in mind and the gathering skill of these also went into the bulk resource production. Should this ever happen then players will very quickly invest at least a minimum in gathering skills.
The main disadvantage in my view is assigning them will be a nightmare. It will work if a leader can assign his members - it will never work if a leader had to chase up people with whom he can't communicate to sign up for holding x in position y. But if a leader can assign them, then he can assign inactives as well (unless that is blocked - actually that might then work after all).

that idea was toyed with about alts and capturing/influence, it got shot down if I recall.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post