Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Has PFO lost its direction?

Decius
Bob
Many great points here. I'd love to allow escalations to start spreading again, but there are a few tricky bugs that need to be fixed first. Otherwise, they have a tendency to spiral out of control. I'd also love to finally implement some of the planned meaningful consequences for not quickly dealing with infections on your doorstep, and many of the ideas Q mentioned are very much along the line of what's been designed, or would at least be reasonable placeholders while waiting on more final functionality.

Until we can safely turn infection back on, consequences can only really be meaningful in the monster hexes. As Caldeathe mentioned, we could play a bit with the gathering system in those hexes after escalations are defeated, or we could reduce gathering abilities while escalations are running (perhaps escalations do some of their own gathering, reducing what's available). Long-term, we've always intended that infected hexes are harder to gather in, though some of that is supposed to come naturally from the increased danger presented by the enemy NPCs. Really making that work will require some AI work to make the encounters interact a bit more with gathering players.

Hopefully we'll be able to do some work in these areas soon, but we obviously have to make a lot of tough decisions when prioritizing our work right now. Additional funding will make it possible for us to work on more things at once, but even then we'll still have to prioritize our work and make sure that we're efficiently progressing toward our final goals. Ah, the joys of game development!
How hard would it be to make nodes spawn towards the center of encounter sites, and make gathering break stealth?
Paddy Fitzpatrick
I think once wars can be won or lost and actually accomplish things we may see more of them.

Right now i bet everyone wants to avoid a war cause of this.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Decius
Paddy Fitzpatrick
I can think of a few things that can easily prevent us from getting what I actually aspire to…

- The fact that my true aspirations are a military fortress/bandit stronghold for criminals to make a stand in the first place. I want fortifications, military buildings, maybe hire guards that will fight alongside us in company feuds. None of that stuff is in the game.

It dont make any sense for a bandit group to have a crafting settlement or class training theme. If we even should have a settlement at all, it should be a forward base where we can strike out from and withstand a siege once sieges come in. So there is that fact that what i really want does not exist, at least not yet.

- Even if i was gonna go the route of everyone else, manpower and time are the next killers. Yeah sure given enough time one can do anything but how much time are we really talking about here? I cant even fsthom how to get a +1, let alone any higher. How much do people think newer groups are gonna have? If we are having this much trouble im sure newer companies with even less will fsre any better.

Sure technically the time thing is true but if that time is astronomical (like many years at least), then how does that help?

- Maybe the biggest one is manpower. I keep being told this game is meant for like 50-100 people per settlement or something and i keep asking myself "how?!" I cant imagine whatever the original thoughrs were on what was a reasonably difficult workload under that plan. Cause right now settlement workload is crazy tough, and basically coming home to a second job.

Maybe manpower will be solved with a higher pop. Hope it does.

Again, like i said, groups with aspirstions that are newer than us aint gonna be doing much better.
You describe wanting hideouts, which were always in the design but haven't been designed to my knowledge. How should a hideout work?
Edam
Decius
Paddy Fitzpatrick
I can think of a few things that can easily prevent us from getting what I actually aspire to…

- The fact that my true aspirations are a military fortress/bandit stronghold for criminals to make a stand in the first place. I want fortifications, military buildings, maybe hire guards that will fight alongside us in company feuds. None of that stuff is in the game.

It dont make any sense for a bandit group to have a crafting settlement or class training theme. If we even should have a settlement at all, it should be a forward base where we can strike out from and withstand a siege once sieges come in. So there is that fact that what i really want does not exist, at least not yet.

- Even if i was gonna go the route of everyone else, manpower and time are the next killers. Yeah sure given enough time one can do anything but how much time are we really talking about here? I cant even fsthom how to get a +1, let alone any higher. How much do people think newer groups are gonna have? If we are having this much trouble im sure newer companies with even less will fsre any better.

Sure technically the time thing is true but if that time is astronomical (like many years at least), then how does that help?

- Maybe the biggest one is manpower. I keep being told this game is meant for like 50-100 people per settlement or something and i keep asking myself "how?!" I cant imagine whatever the original thoughrs were on what was a reasonably difficult workload under that plan. Cause right now settlement workload is crazy tough, and basically coming home to a second job.

Maybe manpower will be solved with a higher pop. Hope it does.

Again, like i said, groups with aspirstions that are newer than us aint gonna be doing much better.
You describe wanting hideouts, which were always in the design but haven't been designed to my knowledge. How should a hideout work?

------->>>>>> There were quite a few rather extensive threads on hideouts back in the day.
Bob
Decius
How hard would it be to make nodes spawn towards the center of encounter sites, and make gathering break stealth?

Making gathering break stealth would probably be pretty easy, though it is kind of nice to give gatherers an excuse to learn stealth. With a little extra work, we could probably make something a bit more complicated, more like a percentage chance of breaking stealth for each second spent gathering. Long-term, I've always wanted to make gatherers generate a random amount of noise every so often while gathering, with louder noises alerting mobs further away. Would certainly add some tension.

Making them spawn in the center of encounter sites would be a bit harder, but certainly possible.
HowardWdW
I agree with the OP's basic statement that settlements don't really matter much right now.

Universal support to level 20 was positively the WORST change to the game IMO.

Allowing anyone to train in your settlement is another.

Allowing any city to have buildings operating at level 20 just by paying an amount of bulk resources that is far below the real cost of having a city full of +5 buildings is another. It is basically impossible at this stage of the game for any city to have even 1 +5 building.

Without the ability to train those levels the greed for T3 recipes would be far reduced.

BUT…then what? What would we few stalwart players have done for these past X months? IMO this has all been an effort to keep the game going on at least some level, even while it makes no sense whatsoever in terms of the original desires for the game.

This will be highly controversial, but in my opinion the game needs a total wipe. The imbalance created by having groups of players running around with the ability to craft T3 items while the new population is starting from scratch; of "existing" power blocks having T3 base for crafting T1 and T2 items at speeds and with less resource cost than is possible for at least 1.5 years to new players; with existing settlements having blocks of buildings already prepared to probably +3 levels while new player groups start with nothing…the disparities are too great.

Give everyone back all their XP or bust everyone currently in the game back to T2 Rank 4 attacks and Rank 6 armor, and equivalent crafting/gathering plus the remainder XP. Figure out a way for players to regain their gates over time which doesn't involve having to grind them all out again. Wipe all the inventories and money. Have the existing power group each start with 1 settlement with level 10 buildings only and no freebies after that and 6 holdings and 12 outposts instead of multiple cities and tens of hexes filled with outposts(there aren't enough players in the whole game to actually run 1 settlement right now). Then do open enrollment and new groups will have a chance to compete.
Edam
I agree with the support to level 20 thing being a bad move it always seemed to me to be a knee jerk reaction to forum complaints by a tiny but very vocal minority. I also agree the ability to restrict who trains at your settlement and selectively charge for that training is sorely missing.

I disagree on total wipes. Total wipes are the death knell for unlimited XP games. Once you lose that trust it is impossible to get it back. You can not really say "well we promised no wipes ever, but this was a special case and now we really promise no more wipes ever this time around" and expect to get away with it.

You are also likely to make your speculative new dabblers and casual "on again off again " players that messed up their builds happy at the cost of losing the truly dedicated players that have stuck with it. I know one girl in our settlement who has put 10 to 20 hours a week into settlement mule runs and vault sorting for over a year that is likely to quit immediately. It will be the 4th Ed D&D debacle all over agian.
Ravenlute
Bob
Decius

Making gathering break stealth would probably be pretty easy, though it is kind of nice to give gatherers an excuse to learn stealth. With a little extra work, we could probably make something a bit more complicated, more like a percentage chance of breaking stealth for each second spent gathering. Long-term, I've always wanted to make gatherers generate a random amount of noise every so often while gathering, with louder noises alerting mobs further away. Would certainly add some tension.

Making them spawn in the center of encounter sites would be a bit harder, but certainly possible.

Characters that invest in making their Role a Gatherer shouldn't be forced to constantly fight to do their job though. Spawning a few mobs to attack them while gathering is one thing (Age of Conan did this), but sticking nodes in groups and not allowing stealth is entirely different. That would be saying that a combat character could go out and fight things solo but a gatherer would never be able to solo gather.

If stealthing is a problem then bounty hunters need to invest in perception.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Tyncale
Bob
Decius

I think pathing monsters would go a long way to making an escalation harder to gather and fight in. A group of bandits roaming the hex, or a Huge Sand Elemental on the loose, that sort of thing.

Some pathing scripts could be pretty random, some could follow a certain trajectory: each present their own challenges on how to deal with them. Nothing more fun then figuring out the Qeynos Guards daily patrol in Everquest so that I could quietly kill Trumpy Irontoe in a back alley with no guards around. smile

I realize that pathing AI is not exactly low hanging fruit, but it's an absolute must for any MMO that advertizes that it has PvE in it.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Drogon
A full wipe would ruin this game for many players who have spent countless hours gathering, grinding and crafting. If the game takes off and attracts thousands of players under new corp reign then the few hundred player with all their exp and stuff will be a drop in the bucket compared to what comes. Be loyal and true to your word about no wipes ever IMO.
HpoD - "I have, however, sat and watched as others took things more personally (on both sides) and became zealots, charging forward on a shining white horse into a pile of shit. Forum Warriors at their peak, striding the battlefield knee deep in the bloody, broken arguments of their adversaries before the burning village of their credibility….Chill guys. "

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post