Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Has PFO lost its direction?

Midnight
@Paddy

I'm open to anything that makes the depletion process slower, but skimming the top layer of T3 can take as little as 10 minutes from what I've read. I've gathered T3 and not depleted the top layer so quickly, but my play time on my one T3 gatherer is so small (I have many accounts and have spent little time in PFO since the August layoffs) that I am more willing to accept what I read and assume my gatherer just lucked out.

I'm looking for some kind of balance that lets vigilant players prevent quick login/logout t3 gathering. The concept also being that vigilant players would likely invite friendly gatherers to slowly gather and share the rewards. Also if T3 becomes 100 times more valuable, then successful vigilance will also be rewarded by looting the husks of gatherers.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
HowardWdW
On the wipe subject. Promises made have already been broken. Most of what was promised to be in the game is not here. EE was supposed to last 9 to 12 months, not 2 plus years (this counts time NewCorp will have to invest before OE). They did not envisage characters being at these levels at the start of open enrollment. Also I did not say take away the XP we have earned, but rather to restrict its use, and have it be available over time again (obviously at a faster than original rate). Finally, if the game is successful then the couple of hundred players who are here now will be totally irrelevant, therefore why bollox up the game balance to satisfy them in the short term?
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Paddy Fitzpatrick
As far as depleting stuff goes, i think what should happen is make it take a lot longer for the layers beyond the top one to get depleted.
So the hex status percentage becomes a multiplier to the skill? At 100%, your skill is at 100%, at 50%, your skill is at 50%. Then as the hex depletes, your chance of finding more than two in one pull approach zero? As does your (when implemented) chance at a gusher?
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Midnight
Garric Orcsbane
Please no. Gathering is already boring and that would just make it 100 times more boring.

Even if each mat was worth 100 times more?

I know the act of unopposed gathering can seem boring. But gathering 100 mats worth X in 10 minutes seems just as boring to this t3 gatherer as gathering 1 mat worth 100X in 10 minutes. The latter slows depletion allowing a better chance at interdiction.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Garric Orcsbane
Midnight
Garric Orcsbane
Please no. Gathering is already boring and that would just make it 100 times more boring.

Even if each mat was worth 100 times more?

I know the act of unopposed gathering can seem boring. But gathering 100 mats worth X in 10 minutes seems just as boring to this t3 gatherer as gathering 1 mat worth 100X in 10 minutes. The latter slows depletion allowing a better chance at interdiction.

Yeah, so if right now I have to wait 3 seconds on a pull I will then have to wait 300 seconds on a pull? No thanks. Then if the mats are that valueable I will have to run to the holding after every pull and waste more time. Sorry, that sounds about as much fun as starting a fire ant colony in my underwear.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Garric Orcsbane
Sorry, that sounds about as much fun as starting a fire ant colony in my underwear.
Probably slightly more than that, but still not something I'd pay for.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Duffy Swiftshadow
HowardWdW
On the wipe subject. Promises made have already been broken. Most of what was promised to be in the game is not here. EE was supposed to last 9 to 12 months, not 2 plus years (this counts time NewCorp will have to invest before OE). They did not envisage characters being at these levels at the start of open enrollment. Also I did not say take away the XP we have earned, but rather to restrict its use, and have it be available over time again (obviously at a faster than original rate). Finally, if the game is successful then the couple of hundred players who are here now will be totally irrelevant, therefore why bollox up the game balance to satisfy them in the short term?

What balance is getting ruined tho? Let's assume that just 1000 players joined the game tomorrow and stuck with it:

Gear/Resources? Our stockpiles of gear, coin, and raw resources would quickly become trivial trying to equip all those players and keep them equipped. They would probably generate more coin in a few weeks then we had since launch. So that's not a big deal.

Influence? We'd have more than what we know to do with, it would be worse than anything we have now and that has nothing to do with the current state of things, more a side effect of a bad system.

Training? Someone can always have/get the better training somewhere, the controls and costs for it will be great additions, but there's no guarantee you wouldn't be able to get the training you want, or that you will. Either way it's not really a problem that it exists as it always could exist.

Bulk? Possible issue there, but on the flip-side bulk stockpiling is also one of those things that is entirely possible to happen even if everything was feature complete. More things that need to use bulk, including things that are temporary or transient but handy or necessary could eat up spare bulk resource. (Siege equipment for one? Temporary bandit hideouts? Other temp structures?) Hell, just a few vaults getting burned down could solve some of this problem very quickly.

T3 Advantage? Another thing that will always exist in the game for some group of players compared to some other group of players. It still takes way too long to craft to equip large numbers of players right now. While it is good, if your up against twice as many T2 guys it's not gonna matter that much. Additionally a lot of this can be solved just by implementing real threading.

Support? Bit of a hot button issue, but the more time goes on and the more I've thought about the idea of losing support the worse of an idea I think it is. It causes a lot of balance problems and can make the game blatantly unfair very quickly. I think a lot of the reasons folks liked the idea of support (myself included) could still be accomplished via other means.
Tyncale
Midnight, I am usually agreeing with your views on the game, but I do not think a longer gather-time is a good way to increase the chance of players clashing. I understand that interdiction/pvp is your goal, and I think if a gatherer constantly has to run away or is interrupted in his gathering because of roaming mobs that aggro him, his stay in the Hex will actually be prolonged in a more natural, and still more fun way for the Gatherer.

You must not under-estimate how incredably cheesy the static mobs are currently, and how ridiculously easy they make it for even level 0 players to traverse and work those hexes now.

Roaming mobs can seriously mess up a gatherers session, just think of the time and effort he will have to put into recovering his corpse/loots while mobs are still roaming…. looking for (abandoned) Gatherer corpses may actually become a reason for a Hex owner to check his hexes now and then. Patrolling a hex 24/7 is incredably boring, I do not think that will fly, and I think resources is just one way to get players into clashes. It may also spur gatherers on to take some combatskills for their character, which imo was always PFO's plan.

I sure hope you don't consider me part of the Crowd that do not want to patrol/defend their holding, btw. I know I can't. The fact that ol' carebear me has holdings at all is an oddity that can only exist in the current abandoned and peaceful game. As soon as the game takes off I will transfer them to vigilant COmpanies and will just keep my Inn which will exist solely by the grace of Diplomacy and my friendly smile. smile

On a sidenote, Guards patrolling Holdings and Outposts were in the plans from day 1. There was always supposed to be NPC-help and upgradable defenses and stuff: this was so that taking a Holding could never be the simple act of a loner but always needed a concerted effort. This also makes upgrading worthwhile which is another important mechanic for the game (needs more resources).

On a second sidenote: pretty much any mechanic that is currently in the game is untested, because the playernumbers dropped below a treshold even before Holdings were implemented. IMO it's even impossible to say anything about PvP windows and wether they work right now, because of that fact. Same for a lot of things, like scarcity, T3 stuff, Holdings, Upkeep, and Travel.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Well like i said, maybe not increasing the time to take to gather from a node (that could grt boring and o think it is fine as is). Again, just make the tine it takes to strip the layers take as much time as it does to regrow them. It aint fair if it takes like an hour or two for one or two dudes to strip it and a lot more time to regrow. That seems loke an imbalance to me. Maybe it dont need to be exactly as long but it should be more thsn an hour or two.

When the gsme pop increaes, i can easily see ALL hexes being perma strip mined if nothing changes cause it is just too easy. Make it more difficult and to those who complain about increased difficulty in strip mining the only thing i gotta say to that is git gud. smile

@Cal

I am not sure what you're asking dude, lol.

@everyone

Can someone remind me again about this support thing? I know it was explained to me once a qhile back but i forgot.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Garric Orcsbane
Oh, and just to be clear. I have no problems with making gathering more challenging or intercepts easier but increasing the stand there doing nothing time is not the right way to go.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post