Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Has PFO lost its direction?

Quijenoth Starkiller
Tyncale
I like that system, Q. Settlements can still be a "best fit" for certain players/Roles, yet players do not have to hop settlements if they want support for their other Roles. Tieing individual player-activity to actually being able to *pay* for those extra roles seems good too, else you'd get very rich settlements that could simply provide all roles for their members, no mattrer the cost of non-supported roles.

You would still get complaints from casuals versus hardcore, where the casuals can not muster up enough Credit/Activity to pay for all the roles that they expended XP on, I think.

I guess people have to learn in PFO, that they may not always be able to use all the skills that they paid for. But that is the real conundrum: with PFO's XP system there is actually a limited amount of XP to go around, for which everyone paid hard dollars, so people feel strongly entitled to be able to put that to use at all times.

Then again, I guess there are people in EVE who have put skillpoints in Skills that they do not use anymore for some reason? Or can they relocate that xp?

DOes GW think it is entirely possible to infuse such an attitude where people are willing to forfeit some of their skills for the greater good(in this case, settlement mechanics)?

As long as even a casual player can support at least 2 roles (1 crafting, 1 combat) to T3 I see no issue. Casual players would probably deviate to larger settlements making it harder for larger settlements to maintain their levels without some form of recruitment policy.

On the flip side those with multiple roles and support for longstanding players may find it worthwhile to stop training xp beyond their characters means, instead focusing on raising alts. alternatively you could simply have support toggles - letting you stop supporting one role your not using while focusing on others.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Bob
To clarify, my overall desire to add things like roaming mobs or a chance of being heard/seen by mobs while gathering isn't about slowing down gatherers, it's about making gathering more interactive. Currently, once you've safely reached your node, you can gather in complete safety. Adding a noise mechanic would mean being prepared to run, and watching for signs that you've been spotted. Roaming mobs would require keeping an eye out for mobs that come into view or change direction unexpectedly, adding some challenge both to reaching nodes in the first place and to gathering once the node is reached. Done in a balanced way, it would make gathering a little more challenging in areas where there's a higher density of monsters, only slightly more challenging where monsters are few and far between, and wouldn't prevent solo gathering.

Likewise, while I think the idea of putting nodes inside encounter areas is kind of cool, it's not something I'd want to do with every node. However, having a small percentage of nodes spawn surrounded by monster can add a dynamic element to the availability of nodes similar to what happens to the balance of encounters in a hex. Currently, if you kill every group of goblins you run across in a hex that isn't all goblins, over the course of the day the balance between goblins and other mobs at encounters will shift away from goblins and toward other mobs. Killing every singleton encounter will similarly shift the balance away from singletons and toward larger groups. This has a nice side effect of nudging players who need to focus on goblins or singletons to shift to a different hex after a while, and also provides a symbiotic interaction between groups targeting different enemies (a large party killing off larger encounters provides singletons for solo players, and vice versa). In the case of gathering, this already happens to some degree with nodes that spawn near encounters. Over time, the percentage of nodes near encounters increases if more distant nodes are cleared without someone sweeping through and killing off encounters. Having some nodes appear inside encounters would increase that effect, and could make a little more explicit the advantages of having a party killing mobs in the hex while a gatherer was there. As with roaming monsters or noise detection, it would have to be done in a balanced way to avoid overly limiting solo gathering.
Tyncale
Yes, should have said "some Monsterhex" probably. Maybe a generic message in chat that goes like "Monsterhex -20, +35 is showing harvesting activity!".

A bit like in Vanilla Wow when the Horde invaded an Alliance zone. smile I guess that sort of gamey messages are not new.

Bob, any insights how you see Gushers in this whole discussion?
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Midnight
Decius
Midnight
Garric Orcsbane
Please no. Gathering is already boring and that would just make it 100 times more boring.

Even if each mat was worth 100 times more?

I know the act of unopposed gathering can seem boring. But gathering 100 mats worth X in 10 minutes seems just as boring to this t3 gatherer as gathering 1 mat worth 100X in 10 minutes. The latter slows depletion allowing a better chance at interdiction.
The value of each material is the fraction of the finished good that it comprises. To make materials more valuable it is necessary to make gear more valuable, which requires rebalancing attacks and defenses.

I was with you until your last comma. Why is rebalancing attacks and defenses a requirement? If, today, I suddenly started buying gear for 100 times what people paid for it yesterday, why does anything need to be rebalanced? A consumer made a choice of where to spend their coin. If the other 200 PFO consumers join me in a similar choice, why does that require rebalancing attacks and defenses?
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Bob
Tyncale

Gushers are still planned, and yes, they're supposed to be drivers of PvP. In many ways, they're supposed to be an example of the relationships between different playstyles I mentioned above. Solo gatherers go out and do their thing, but one of the best things they can find are Gushers. However, they can't really take advantage of the Gushers on their own. Other players are needed to harvest efficiently, to defend the Gusher against mobs and other players, and to quickly transport the results back to safety.
Tyncale
Bob
Tyncale

Gushers are still planned, and yes, they're supposed to be drivers of PvP. In many ways, they're supposed to be an example of the relationships between different playstyles I mentioned above. Solo gatherers go out and do their thing, but one of the best things they can find are Gushers. However, they can't really take advantage of the Gushers on their own. Other players are needed to harvest efficiently, to defend the Gusher against mobs and other players, and to quickly transport the results back to safety.
Thanks Bob. I think Midnight would want to know "how quickly" they could transport these spoils to safety. smile Any ideas how long would it take to deplete such a gusher?
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
Bob
Tyncale
Thanks Bob. I think Midnight would want to know "how quickly" they could transport these spoils to safety. smile Any ideas how long would it take to deplete such a gusher?

According to the preliminary design, the amount of time a gusher operates is dependent on several factors, but would typically be around 30-90 minutes, assuming it's not destroyed by mobs. After it's drained, there would be an additional 4 hours available to remove any remaining results. It's a very preliminary design, so take those more as guidelines.

As for transport times, that will just depend on how heavy the results are and whether or not mules or other mechanisms are the chosen transport method.
Tyncale
Awesome, that sounds good, thanks. Sounds like a thrill to find one and then drum up the support to utilize it.
Ravenlute
Bob
To clarify, my overall desire to add things like roaming mobs or a chance of being heard/seen by mobs while gathering isn't about slowing down gatherers, it's about making gathering more interactive. …

This entire reply is much more in my line of thinking and what I would expect in a good game. It creates a challenge for gatherers, not a deterrent.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Decius
Midnight
Decius
Midnight
Garric Orcsbane
Please no. Gathering is already boring and that would just make it 100 times more boring.

Even if each mat was worth 100 times more?

I know the act of unopposed gathering can seem boring. But gathering 100 mats worth X in 10 minutes seems just as boring to this t3 gatherer as gathering 1 mat worth 100X in 10 minutes. The latter slows depletion allowing a better chance at interdiction.
The value of each material is the fraction of the finished good that it comprises. To make materials more valuable it is necessary to make gear more valuable, which requires rebalancing attacks and defenses.

I was with you until your last comma. Why is rebalancing attacks and defenses a requirement? If, today, I suddenly started buying gear for 100 times what people paid for it yesterday, why does anything need to be rebalanced? A consumer made a choice of where to spend their coin. If the other 200 PFO consumers join me in a similar choice, why does that require rebalancing attacks and defenses?
Because coin is not the measure of value of gear. Utility is, and changing the utility of equipment is a game balance change.

If the utility of gear drops below the cost (with the complicated unit conversions involved), then a very bad outcome happens.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post