Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Has PFO lost its direction?

Decius
Bob
Tyncale
Thanks Bob. I think Midnight would want to know "how quickly" they could transport these spoils to safety. smile Any ideas how long would it take to deplete such a gusher?

According to the preliminary design, the amount of time a gusher operates is dependent on several factors, but would typically be around 30-90 minutes, assuming it's not destroyed by mobs. After it's drained, there would be an additional 4 hours available to remove any remaining results. It's a very preliminary design, so take those more as guidelines.

As for transport times, that will just depend on how heavy the results are and whether or not mules or other mechanisms are the chosen transport method.
If those times are from "gatherer finds node", and have to include the time spent mustering a group and traveling there, they are challenging. I'm thinking that having to have a quick response (meaning characters in the area) to finding a gusher might be a strong reason to harvest locally.
Bob
Decius
If those times are from "gatherer finds node", and have to include the time spent mustering a group and traveling there, they are challenging. I'm thinking that having to have a quick response (meaning characters in the area) to finding a gusher might be a strong reason to harvest locally.

After finding the gusher location, you'd have an hour to deploy a harvesting kit at the location, giving you the option to return to your settlement to get a kit and muster your forces before placing it.
Stilachio Thrax
Bob
Decius

After finding the gusher location, you'd have an hour to deploy a harvesting kit at the location, giving you the option to return to your settlement to get a kit and muster your forces before placing it.

In the interest of both challenge and having gathering be less of a solo activity, I'd be inclined to shorten the deploy window significantly, or eliminate it all together. Either the gatherer has his ducks in a row to begin with, or he runs the risk of missing out. Frankly, it shouldn't be that difficult to take a harvesting kit out with you on a gathering run and at least give your buddies a heads up about maybe needing help…
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Gathering kits are anticipated to require a significant potion of a character's encumbrance capacity, and there is no real reason to anticipate that a rare gusher will be found while the entire team is sitting around waiting for it. Gatherers are, in fact, most likely to be doing our thing when our companions aren't around to do something else. Handling a gusher may require a series of emails and texts to people who aren't even online. In addition, many gatherers are several hexes or more from home. If we are expected to warn our entire company every time we are going out gathering, against a very small chance of actually encountering a gusher, then most gushers will go untapped.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Decius
Bob
Decius

Depending on how far afield of a friendly settlement you are at the moment smile
Edam
What would be interesting is if the gathering kit was heavy enough to require a mule.
Midnight
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Gathering kits are anticipated to require a significant potion of a character's encumbrance capacity, and there is no real reason to anticipate that a rare gusher will be found while the entire team is sitting around waiting for it. Gatherers are, in fact, most likely to be doing our thing when our companions aren't around to do something else. Handling a gusher may require a series of emails and texts to people who aren't even online. In addition, many gatherers are several hexes or more from home. If we are expected to warn our entire company every time we are going out gathering, against a very small chance of actually encountering a gusher, then most gushers will go untapped.

Cal's got a point, most of my gathering is when I can't find enough of my mates together to do escalations. Are gushers something people might spot while running to and fro? Or are they hidden until a gatherer hits a node? In the latter case, I'd expect the most common activity won't be calling your mates (because if they were around you'd be doing escalations), but rather posting in general chat an auction for the gusher location.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Edam
What would be interesting is if the gathering kit was heavy enough to require a mule.
I don't think I agree. But I'd like it to need a well trained character.
Quijenoth Starkiller
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Edam

That seems very elitist. Why shouldn't new players be able to experience this new feature? mules aren't something new players will initially want (or understand) so this would be an interesting way of introducing both mechanics to new players. unless you believe gushers are for T3 only…
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Quijenoth Starkiller
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Edam

That seems very elitist. Why shouldn't new players be able to experience this new feature? mules aren't something new players will initially want (or understand) so this would be an interesting way of introducing both mechanics to new players. unless you believe gushers are for T3 only…
Perhaps poor wording, but the nature of gushers is already probably going to exclude the newest of players, since I anticipate they will have difficulty coming up with a harvesting kit to exploit one. If they are confounded by mules, what kind of road-block will a harvesting kit represent? Unless they've trained to several levels of a gathering skill, their chances of finding a gusher are probably going to approach zero, or higher level characters will be finding them every day. If Gushers work as hinted, no new player is going to be successful by themselves, whether or not they can carry a harvesting kit. It will require a company, fending off monsters and hauling multiple encumbrance loads, which means a lone new character, or company thereof will probably need a mule anyway, if they can find and afford a harvesting kit. Their best bet will be an offer to lease the rights for cash, since only the character who finds the gusher can activate it.

Gushers are supposed to represent a team-based activity that generates PvP and mob threats. I'd prefer not to have alts with harvesting kits stashed in every other hex on the map to make it easy for a high level character with a smallholding to exploit one without any assistance, so I think it should require some encumbrance beyond the base.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post