Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

The tyranny of the blob.

Midnight
If the blob can unilaterally declare the escalation rules for the entire map, then your "territory" isn't really yours, it is theirs, but you get to use use it when they can't be bothered to travel that far.

Don't expect people to respect your territorial declarations when people's only real worry is about the blob.

Of course, the blob may tell people to respect your territory. But it is the blob they will be respecting, not you.

One nation, under blob, indivisible…
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Decius
You have what you hold. If you can hold it, it's yours regardless of what anyone says. If you can't hold it, it isn't really yours even if you say it is and nobody objects.
Bringslite
@ Midnight

None of what I am about to write is meant as an insult. I am sick of argue/fighting with you and you do write interesting things and have good points usually.

This "Blob" complex is as old as the first time there were as many as 3 living things anywhere in the universe. It is a force of the nature of the universe that is… just plain natural. Blobs go as far as their power to dominate can reach when they wish to. They always reach a critical point when they are stretched too thin if they go too far. That is really well illustrated in games. Some blobs are aggressive. Well most are aggressive because they need to "feed" to maintain. Some blobs get what they need peacefully. Without artificial membership number limits, blobs are here to stay.

"You have what you hold" is as old as there was one or more living things in the universe. It is here today in games and in every nation and every corner of our lives. It may or may not be "entitlement" to say "This is Mine and there will be trouble if you try and take it away", but really it is just "You Have what You Hold"

Your current and past projects: It is unfair that new players are penned to small areas. Blobs are bad. Territory declaration is unfair and too complicated. It is unfair for Jack to not allow me to train at his settlement.

These ^^^ are things which are regular obstacles of games. The more complex the game, the more complex the issues that need navigating. Without them, only completely cooperative games would be around, but you two cooperative bunnys would still be competing against SOMETHING.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Duffy Swiftshadow
Some slight alterations to respawn mechanics could ease the issue of blobs projecting too far across the map, but it's gonna be tricky to balance for both PvE, PvP, and random travel. There are some ways to deal with it but they are going to be complex systems that will not guarantee the prevention of force projection, but will slow it down. Ultimately it really can't be entirely mitigated without fundamental changes that would seriously alter the game.
You are a Troll
Bringslite
@ Midnight

None of what I am about to write is meant as an insult. I am sick of argue/fighting with you and you do write interesting things and have good points usually.

This "Blob" complex is as old as the first time there were as many as 3 living things anywhere in the universe. It is a force of the nature of the universe that is… just plain natural. Blobs go as far as their power to dominate can reach when they wish to. They always reach a critical point when they are stretched too thin if they go too far. That is really well illustrated in games. Some blobs are aggressive. Well most are aggressive because they need to "feed" to maintain. Some blobs get what they need peacefully. Without artificial membership number limits, blobs are here to stay.

"You have what you hold" is as old as there was one or more living things in the universe. It is here today in games and in every nation and every corner of our lives. It may or may not be "entitlement" to say "This is Mine and there will be trouble if you try and take it away", but really it is just "You Have what You Hold"

Your current and past projects: It is unfair that new players are penned to small areas. Blobs are bad. Territory declaration is unfair and too complicated. It is unfair for Jack to not allow me to train at his settlement.

These ^^^ are things which are regular obstacles of games. The more complex the game, the more complex the issues that need navigating. Without them, only completely cooperative games would be around, but you two cooperative bunnys would still be competing against SOMETHING.

+100
Midnight
@Bringslite

The challenge of sandboxes is providing a model of a world that feels realistic, yet also feels fun and fair (because it is a game and not the real world, and our presence is entirely optional).

The issues you mock me on are all issues I’d have to concede defeat on if PFO was a multi-million player success.

But until then, I will share my concerns on what people may or may not find fun, and others can ignore, ridicule, or act on those concerns.

The fact that 200 people like or tolerate some aspect of a game is not proof that each aspect will lead to a successful MMO.

Some of my earliest posts on the website were pro-territoriality. Maybe I'll link my Feb 2015 posts if you remind me. But as I play, and think and compare PFO with other games and watch the population numbers, yeah, I developed new concerns and I'm rarely (never?) the ONLY person that shares one of those concerns.

stealth edit: I’ll also point out I haven’t opposed all the aspects of territoriality you mentioned. In many of them I simply clashed with you on how easy or costly such territorial control should be.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Bringslite
I really believe that it isn't that these things are parts or intended to be parts of the game which has led to this small group of fans and tons of bad press. The game is small and unsuccessful so far because these things are NOT IN THIS GAME YET or are partly but certainly not working correctly yet. That and the other issues of graphics, animation, unresolvable conflicts, etc…

It is probable that because of the above, things like blobs and competitive play issues are magnified.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
If the average MMO player measures their success by fat loot and access to it, why wouldn't they join the blob?

If the most logical thing to do is to join the blob, what does that say about the rest of us?

And Bringslite, how would completing the incomplete aspects you refer to make this a smaller concern? I'm not disagreeing with the possibility that incompleteness magnifies the blob issue. I just don't see exactly which completions will change the answer to those first 2 questions.

I'll also add that completing the game is going to introduce settlement knockdowns, which might further magnify the benefits of joining the blob.
-Edmund Burke
Duffy Swiftshadow
Binding/Respawn mechanics we know they are going to change could completely alter the feasibility of force projection in a radical manner. Hard to win a battle if you have to run 20 hexes after you die and the defender only has to run 2.
Midnight
That is one of the ones I planned to mention if Decius and I start a crowdforging thread on blobs.

In all fairness, I know that even members of the blob have asked for that feature too.

I assume they know the game can be fun for them even WITHOUT global omnipotence. (It also makes defense against tenacious upstarts less costly in gear).
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post