Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

The tyranny of the blob.

Paddy Fitzpatrick
The numbers issies aint limited to mega sized blobs either.

I am learning now thst even being outnumbered by a couple of extra guys could be insanely tough to overcome, assuming somewhat equal skill on both sides.

Sure there is a bit of theory crafting but still, seems like the ratio between when a numbers advantage becomes overwhelming force is WAY too small. It needs to be made bigger (but not eliminated entirely).

Thats why i made my earlier suggestions. Need stuff to add new tsctics, new meta, and the ability to think outside the box. You need more ways to fight than just zerg rush. There really dont seem to BE much on that front.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Bringslite
When it comes to Blobs and their perceived or real dominance over a game, it is about the same issue as when a game with PVP starts to become ALL wolves with less and less sheep. That is partly the responsibility of the players. Unfortunately it is pretty difficult to get players that simply hate PVP to organize and stand up to blobs. They usually just move to another area and eventually another game. So the wolves get more and more proportionally numerous.

A chief thing that Devs can do in design is make structures and things vulnerable and also important overall mechanically to groups. Getting those things wrecked or captured really has to matter in some way to the ability to maintain or expand the area or the reach of The Blob. All kinds of great and fun things could be done to Blobs by just a few players with nothing to lose anyway and a burning desire to hamper The Blob at every turn.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
I am a Blob. Well me and two friends.

Actually I do not have any friends but I do have a dog.

We are the Blob, me and my faithful hound Puddles.

No one expects the Blob! Our chief weapon is surprise …. fear and surprise; our two chief weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthlessly efficient forum posting! Er, among our chief weapons are: fear, surprise, ruthlessly efficient forum posts, and near fanatical devotion to Ryan, err Lisa and Bob ummh …. New Corp!

Um, I'll come in again…
Paddy Fitzpatrick
You're the Blob?

Well I didnt vote for you!
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Bringslite
We know what to do with The Blob! Freeze it, fly it to the North Pole and leave it there. That is what you do with big character eating piles of goo(n) from outer space, right?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
Crowfall has a solution to blobs. They will simply let the blob win.

Then everything will reset.

I'm curious, though, if players will keep coming back to those resets if the same guild/blob keeps winning.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
Midnight
Some of my earliest posts on the website were pro-territoriality. Maybe I'll link my Feb 2015 posts if you remind me. But as I play, and think and compare PFO with other games and watch the population numbers, yeah, I developed new concerns and I'm rarely (never?) the ONLY person that shares one of those concerns.

as promised…. Midnight's pro-territorial days:

https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/1548/?page=10#post-13415

https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/1548/?page=10#post-13446

during War of Towers…. https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/1774/?page=1#post-16261
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Edam
Paddy Fitzpatrick
You're the Blob?

Well I didnt vote for you!

Yah … but by all accounts you guys are an anarcho-syndicalist commune who take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week but all the decisions *of* that officer 'ave to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting by a simple majority, in the case of purely internal affairs or by a two-thirds majority, in the case of more major …
Midnight
Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
Dennis: Come and see the violence inherent in the system. Help! Help! I'm being repressed!

King Arthur: Bloody peasant!

Dennis: Oh, what a giveaway! Did you hear that? Did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about! Did you see him repressing me? You saw him, didn't you?
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post