Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

The tyranny of the blob.

Ravenlute
Midnight
Idea 1: Take out all shrines besides the settlement keep shrines and the shrines at Thornkeep's newbie trainers.

If you die to monsters you teleport to the nearest shrine (and pray that settlement isn't hostile).

If you die with damage from a player on you, you go to the shrine that belongs to your settlement.

Default home for indies should be Thornkeep, and indie players ought to have a way to designate Rotter's Hole as their settlement (that requires traveling to Rotter's Hole, to do it).

The downside, though, is that undetected/unopposed distant PvE is still very viable even if it is over-reachingly aggressive. Intruders will retreat more often, but you still face the "eternal vigilance" issue to keep them from just logging out and making a sandwich and returning.

As much of a pain as it can be to get back with your group currently after dying, I'm good with this idea. I would also suggest allowing Camps be temporary spawn points that can be targeted and destroyed. This would allow a group to have an easier time when doing PvE and PvP activities while also giving those who oppose them something to go after to prevent their return.

Smallholdings already offer a place to store supplies and loot away from home which is fair enough but they should not be given the ability to spawn from them since they can't be destroyed.

(lol, apparently Duffy had the same idea.)
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Thod-Theodum
You have to be careful in regard to unexpected consequences.

Spawning far away will make players be MUCH more careful in PvE and it will mean gear churn will drop to a minimum. At the moment - hey - what does it matter if I die - I just replace my armour - I gain more from tough monsters as I will get in return.

Just throwing this is here. We complain there isn't enough gear churn and we want to add mechanics to the game which will make players extremely cautious of dying.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Agree with Thod (and Ravenlute too).

Ultimately if an idea completely negates a desired behavior versus balancing it out, then it probably needs some work. For example the PvP death sending you home creates all kinds of weird griefing possibilities though, but it also lends bandits a huge helper. Ultimately it will probably be a fairly complex solution that solves all the corner cases.
Midnight
Thod-Theodum
You have to be careful in regard to unexpected consequences.

Spawning far away will make players be MUCH more careful in PvE and it will mean gear churn will drop to a minimum. At the moment - hey - what does it matter if I die - I just replace my armour - I gain more from tough monsters as I will get in return.

Just throwing this is here. We complain there isn't enough gear churn and we want to add mechanics to the game which will make players extremely cautious of dying.

For deaths by monster my idea had you respawning at the nearest settlement shrine. Is that "far"? I only see it being so in some cases where mountain cliffs make your circular run back tiresome.

It will slow gear churn in PvP, but will also give "defending" players (players whose home is nearby) something closer to a combat victory in exchange. It *is* a trade-off, admittedly.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Hobson Fiffledown
Smallholdings were sold with a bind point as a benefit. I think the owner should be able to bind, but no other players should be able to bind to a smallhold.

Now, the description of having bind points located at every three or five hexes for everyone (as described recently) is disappointing. Not, "no friendly fire" sad, or "no movement penalty for armor" sad, but disappointing nonetheless.

Spawning far away combined with proper threading should answer any lower gear-churn concerns though.
This space for rent.
Ravenlute
Oh yeah, threading. I completely forgot about that. You were supposed to be required to use that to bind to a shrine weren't you, as well as protect your gear?
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Hobson Fiffledown
Yeah, and I think there were different threading costs for different bind options intended (plus some coin now), similar to higher level eq taking up more threading space/cost/value/somethings. However, for escalations, PvP, or long distance gathering, the closest bind point will more than likely always be paid for. If there is an option to bind no further than two hexes away across the entire map (plus Smallholdings and future temporary solutions), then binding won't really affect force projection or the blob very much at all.
This space for rent.
Bringslite
Reduced gear churn = Bad. Why can my gear take 20 hits? Maybe durability 20 gear should be a capstone crafter ability. Maybe durability should be a direct result of the craft facility quality. Maybe durability could add variety and actually USE some of these odd materials(meteoric iron stands out) and alternate recipes(capstone, faction, super rare finds, super rare innovation discoveries).
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Bringslite
Reduced gear churn = Bad. Why can my gear take 20 hits? Maybe durability 20 gear should be a capstone crafter ability. Maybe durability should be a direct result of the craft facility quality. Maybe durability could add variety and actually USE some of these odd materials(meteoric iron stands out) and alternate recipes(capstone, faction, super rare finds, super rare innovation discoveries).
Durability will only matter on threaded gear though, wont it? Everything unthreaded will stay on your husk.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Bringslite
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Bringslite
Durability will only matter on threaded gear though, wont it? Everything unthreaded will stay on your husk.

Well I suppose that losing some gear would create local specific demand for more, but it isn't as if LESS gear will be around because some switches hands.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post