Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Posturing?

Caldeathe Baequiannia
Bringslite
It looks to me, from a few posts herein, that some groups are trying to establish…. How to Talk to The Boss.
As far as relations with the BHA go, Mistwalker is the Boss until further notice.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Decius
If I'm understanding this right, there's no subset of HRC settlement leaders that one can make a deal with and expect the complementary set to feel obligated to uphold.

If I am correct about that, I don't think the HRC is a political entity, only a community.
Decius
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Bringslite
It looks to me, from a few posts herein, that some groups are trying to establish…. How to Talk to The Boss.
As far as relations with the BHA go, Mistwalker is the Boss until further notice.
Is that an official declaration from you, or your observation as a private individual who heard an official declaration from elsewhere? Who can give "further notice"? THESE are the questions that someone who wants to handle negotiations needs.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Decius
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Bringslite
Is that an official declaration from you, or your observation as a private individual who heard an official declaration from elsewhere? Who can give "further notice"? THESE are the questions that someone who wants to handle negotiations needs.
The BHA and the HRC all know it. Since it doesn't cover Phaeros, I don't see why it matters. if you are looking to negotiate with the HRC and are having difficulty reaching Jokken, you are welcome to let one of us know and we will pass it on.
Ravenlute
I'm sure Hobson wouldn't mind dealing with Decius.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Hobson Fiffledown
I don't think anyone in the HRC is under the impression that our actions do not affect the HRC as an entity. I do believe that none of the members of the HRC would purposefully cause the other ones grief. We are accountable to each other in that we are all here to enjoy the game and have a good time. I think most, if not all of the HRC members take that into account with our choices of action throughout the game.

Despite our loose structure of command, I don't think any of us think that HRC members' actions won't be tied to the HRC as a whole by other groups. That is the other groups' prerogative to act as they want, according to their own rules. Just because it doesn't stick with us, doesn't mean you can't go along merrily with your own reasoning for action.

Now, to the war-ish bit. I think that the HRC believes it has been invaded and occupied. I actually was out of town when everything went down. I really don't care what went down (not in a callous or mean way, I was just happy to find a little conflict when I got home). I had fully expected it to be litigated out before I got home. Imagine my surprise. smile

The HRC is being advanced upon by an opponent with much greater war resources (influence and materials). It shouldn't be surprising that some of us counterattack sideways in our own ramshackle ways. In my mind, I imagine a proper server population with dozens of us Desperate Goblins down there creating a trade embargoes along key routes and possibly disrupting bulk goods support. Now, we all know that can't actually happen, but it's fun to imagine. The one thing I wouldn't think we would do is get tilted so we attack and erode waves of equipment against an even slightly defended high+ asset. That game was played a while ago and there are reasons the HRC has never repeated it.

I love a good bar fight when no one is trying to kill anyone else. And I'd love to get some scraps in here without everyone going all dramatastic. But it's war, que sera sera. Whatever happens, I'll be interested to see how all parties handle this (especially some of the other loud voices in the forums* that I've already logged as being in the NW before I headed down SE). Good times.

Edit - * Not even in reference to Mr. Fontaine, who soundly beat Drumph and for good reason. I almost forgot about that.
This space for rent.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Decius
If I'm understanding this right, there's no subset of HRC settlement leaders that one can make a deal with and expect the complementary set to feel obligated to uphold.

If I am correct about that, I don't think the HRC is a political entity, only a community.
While you are not correct about your understanding, I think we probably are closer to being a community than a political entity.

If Jokken says we have a deal, and not to do something, we won't do it. Almost certainly. If someone ever does act against the leader's word, we'll find out what happens. Maybe someone will get kicked out, maybe we'll have a new coin toss. (I probably shouldn't say that, since it offers Jokken an incentive to make an untenable bargain.)

—— I'm not a politician, I just play one when they ask me to.
Jokken
Bringslite
It looks to me, from a few posts herein, that some groups are trying to establish…. How to Talk to The Boss. I am not sure that The HRC is structured that way for casual query and certainly not without a good deal of groundwork. That at least has been my experience.

It is different than how most of us operate, granted, but it is a helpful thing to realize that The HRC can, will, and does make general agreements with groups that are reasonable in turn. I may have all of this wrong, they are just impressions that I have built from dealing with The HRC for a long time.

They are not just a bunch of crazy barbarians and eclectics. You do have to put in some work to get them all on the same page and that work needs to be reasonably friendly or at least not negatively provocative.

Edit: Forgive me for taking liberties to try and define you, The HRC. These are just my take on how to treat with your group. No offence is intended in any way.

No offense taken, Bringslite. In fact, I would purport that you have more insight as to how to garner a lasting and peaceable agreement with the HRC than any other organization on the server and have firsthand proof that once this is attained, it is honorably and dependably maintained.
Go West for freedom and adventure! Join the free soil settlers of High Road. Be a positive and constructive force for freedom in the Bulwark Hills. www.coalroad.com/hrc
Midnight
What I'm reading is simply "who can I bully in private, so that the rest of the world doesn't see how unreasonable I am".
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Drogon
Jokken
How hard is it to figure out? Members of the HRC are Citizens of the North. We support freedom, brotherhood, the defiance of tyranny and a like minded desire of protecting our home. Each of us has a voice and a sword arm (spell hand?) and love in our heart for the right of our brothers and sisters to live as they choose. We do not tax, we accept gifts for the greater good. We do not scorn, we council. We do not dictate, we discuss and share council. I speak for the people of the Bulwark Hills because they say I do. Do I lead them? Nay!

Excuse the wall of text TLTR if you must….

Jokken, You deny being the leader of HRC even though several of your members claim it to be so. Cal denies being leader even though he makes blanket statements for the HRC. Mistwalker is now the chosen BHA handler. You refuse to answer my direct questions about your position regarding territorial declarations in general. IT IS KNOWN, the position of the HRC since the beginning of the game has always been that territorial claims are not valid. Yet, the moment it becomes convenient to do so HRC makes a territorial declaration and expects others to recognize and respect it. Did the BHA force your hand into making a declaration that at your core level you felt disdain for? Yes, I believe we did. Cal got into general chat and announced a claim in the name of HRC even though he categorically denies that he represents the HRC. HRC then proceeded to make a blanket claim on the entire area which included our tavern. The same day, Cal made another blanket decree for the HRC that BHA members were not permitted passage through your recently claimed territory. This in turn forced BHA's hand to protect our interests in the tavern area. We immediately refuted your claim and made a claim of our own. BHA recognizes that not everyone on the server agrees with the manner that BHA handled this.

BHA went into that first meeting with open minds. BHA was told by HRC that they have already conferenced between themselves for several hours prior to the meeting and regardless of what BHA had to say HRC had already decided that under no circumstances would HRC relinquish ANY ownership rights to ANY hex in the bulwark hills. That is fundamentally a terrible way to negotiate, typically you listen to what the other side has to say then make final decisions. Jokken himself called the entire server "Morons" for previously declaring territories and repeatedly threatened to kill BHA members when we suggested placing holdings down to secure our claim through proper game mechanics. HRC then offered us to "rent" the hexes to BHA to place our holdings down and a very fair rate, but BHA was not comfortable with the rental proposal because it implied that BHA recoginze HRC ownership and right to evict BHA holdings on a whim. Do you deny saying these things to us?

I told you that we would not take any actions UNTIL our next meeting and I did not. BHA actually discussed everything HRC said and took everything into account when we came back to the second meeting and made what we believed to be a very fair offer. We offered a reduction of our claim, shared ownership/stewardship of the hexes, a reoccurring monthly payment, to maintain the current HRC holding in RH-5 and several t3 recipes as a signing bonus. What was not negotiable was the shared ownership labeling and that BHA holdings would be in those 2 hexes, HRC had already offered to let BHA put holdings in these hexes in exchange for rent so it was just negotiating the terminology that remained. Every other point BHA was willing negotiate on.

Instead of figuring out winning situation for everyone, Cal launches an toxic smear campaign with direct personal assaults against me and extremely racists remarks that he tried to justify with even more generalizations of middle eastern culture. He also released a private message between him and I that I believe is a heinous action. I fail to see how the whole server doesn't recognize this toxic behavior and attitude. Bob sure did evidenced by his closing of that thread.

Now it has gone way beyond… I find it completely hypocritical for HRC to criticize BHA over the trespassing incident with Krullem while HRC leadership knew that Hobson was already in our homelands killing people. I also find it extremely hypocritical for everyone of HRC leadership to deny being "the" leader and to deny answering to any real authority. You then expect others to recognize your claims as a single entity, but, you only seem to care about claims when they suit your fancy.

If you have no centralized authority to answer to then HRC is not a singular political entity, you are a community of settlements. Does anyone else agree with this?

HpoD - "I have, however, sat and watched as others took things more personally (on both sides) and became zealots, charging forward on a shining white horse into a pile of shit. Forum Warriors at their peak, striding the battlefield knee deep in the bloody, broken arguments of their adversaries before the burning village of their credibility….Chill guys. "

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post