Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Strip mining solution?

Midnight
Perhaps there should be a dialog box that pops up when you reach a degraded level of materials that asks "Material X is degraded. Do you want to strip mine this material?). Choosing to ignore that material means subsequent nodes in that hex don't present the excluded material and it doesn't degrade that material in the hex.If they choose to strip-mine then the material is presented to them and degrades as usual.

An additional twist we can consider is making each level of degraded material take more time to gather. Will people strip-mine if it takes twice as long, 10 times longer, 100 times longer? 1,000 times longer?

I'm not advocating that strip-mining should be impossible, but the slower gathering time could make it more preventable by people with the will to prevent it.

This is just a suggestion, I don't even care if it gets implemented because I haven't even noticed strip-mining yet.

So far, strip-mining is just something I read about in forums.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Stilachio Thrax
The dialog box pop-up would be nice but I think getting it programmed in with everything else that needs work is going to be tough.

I love the idea of adjusting gathering time based on quality- it dissuades a clueless gatherer from gathering to far down but allows for deliberate strip mining (added time to continue to degrade mats makes strip mining a meaningful choice AND gives people time to respond to the strip miners.)
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais
Midnight
The nice thing about combining the dialog box with it is I can still full speed-gather non-degraded stuff if I choose not to degrade.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Drogon
I like the idea of the dialog box
HpoD - "I have, however, sat and watched as others took things more personally (on both sides) and became zealots, charging forward on a shining white horse into a pile of shit. Forum Warriors at their peak, striding the battlefield knee deep in the bloody, broken arguments of their adversaries before the burning village of their credibility….Chill guys. "
Jokken
I'm for the dialog box on terms that it is a nice reminder. Having it function so that it "turns off" the gathering of that item while still collecting items not degraded may go against the original spirit of design as pertaining to resource scarcity. Many concepts of original spirit of design are murky at this point.

I am definitely against increasing gathering time proportional to resource degradation. After all, why else would someone spend xp past rank 14 gathering if not to increase yields and lower gathering times per click to increase the effectiveness of hostile strip mining? Having an effective means of economic warfare coded into inefficacy would be a detriment in the long term.
Go West for freedom and adventure! Join the free soil settlers of High Road. Be a positive and constructive force for freedom in the Bulwark Hills. www.coalroad.com/hrc
Bringslite
Jokken
I'm for the dialog box on terms that it is a nice reminder. Having it function so that it "turns off" the gathering of that item while still collecting items not degraded may go against the original spirit of design as pertaining to resource scarcity. Many concepts of original spirit of design are murky at this point.

I am definitely against increasing gathering time proportional to resource degradation. After all, why else would someone spend xp past rank 14 gathering if not to increase yields and lower gathering times per click to increase the effectiveness of hostile strip mining? Having an effective means of economic warfare coded into inefficacy would be a detriment in the long term.

Well if you are strip mining then you click "ignore" or "continue" or whatever.

I am not against such a possibility. Not a fan of having to degrade one or more things to get another.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
Jokken

I got the impression that people are complaining that stripmining is too effective because it happens too fast to counter.

Does the community feel it is an effective strategy… or a strategy that can't be countered? I've outlined a way to make it easier to counter, but I'm not interested in nerfing it if it isn't overpowered.

Also, I'd imagine that a level 18 gatherer would still stripmine faster than a level 14 gatherer under such a scheme.
-Edmund Burke
Maxen
I like the idea if a warning dialog. I also like the idea of increasing the time to gather a degraded resource based on the idea that a resource in a degraded condition is more difficult to gather because you are essentially picking through the scraps.

Another angle to take would be to allow a gatherer to select items from a pull, while leaving others and not having that count towards degrading the resource. On numerous occasions, when I've had a pull that yields multiple resources, one resource may degrade before the others. I stop gathering that node type at that point because I don't want to risk further degrading the resource. But there may still be plenty of the other resources available. Allowing a gatherer to leave degraded resources in the node should prevent further degradation.
Bringslite
Midnight
Jokken

I got the impression that people are complaining that stripmining is too effective because it happens too fast to counter.

Does the community feel it is an effective strategy… or a strategy that can't be countered? I've outlined a way to make it easier to counter, but I'm not interested in nerfing it if it isn't overpowered.

Also, I'd imagine that a level 18 gatherer would still stripmine faster than a level 14 gatherer under such a scheme.
Strip mining is effective in the way that it wastes a little bit of someone's time(getting there) and a very slow handicap in being able to produce gear. A handicap that is as slow as trying to win a war by wrecking the opponent's gear faster than they wreck yours, though it is probably more directly impactful than the latter IF you can keep it up.

Mostly it is just a nuisance.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Duffy Swiftshadow
A specific mechanic like that feels awkward, maybe letting the gatherer decide which tier they are pulling would make sense and serve the same purpose. I think the bigger concern with strip mining is how easy it is to maintain and how hard it is to catch someone. I think mechanics like maybe scrying or tracking would be more useful there.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post