Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Strip mining solution?

Bringslite
Duffy Swiftshadow
A specific mechanic like that feels awkward, maybe letting the gatherer decide which tier they are pulling would make sense and serve the same purpose. I think the bigger concern with strip mining is how easy it is to maintain and how hard it is to catch someone. I think mechanics like maybe scrying or tracking would be more useful there.
If a company, maybe instead of or along with holdings, could claim a monster hex- (opening it for free PVP), and needed to place a building in it; could that building not have the red warning bar that someone is in there gathering?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Decius
Bringslite
Duffy Swiftshadow
A specific mechanic like that feels awkward, maybe letting the gatherer decide which tier they are pulling would make sense and serve the same purpose. I think the bigger concern with strip mining is how easy it is to maintain and how hard it is to catch someone. I think mechanics like maybe scrying or tracking would be more useful there.
If a company, maybe instead of or along with holdings, could claim a monster hex- (opening it for free PVP), and needed to place a building in it; could that building not have the red warning bar that someone is in there gathering?
That sounds like a good use of a lookout tower- each tower allows the owning company to see how many PCs are in one adjacent hex per plus of the holding. Possibly with information about the company/sertlement, possibly without.
Duffy Swiftshadow
I would be hesitant for a claim style building in monster hexes, might work fine in the other hexes. A utility structure that is more or less temporary might work but still feels kinda off to me. I keep coming back to some sort of tracking skills as those will serve a bunch of other purposes too.

The other issue I have with buildings is it makes it almost too easy to catch, it should still be possible just trickier if someone is actively 'searching' for you. Some active use skills that give you some limited info based on realtime passing could fit the bill.
Bringslite
Duffy Swiftshadow
I would be hesitant for a claim style building in monster hexes, might work fine in the other hexes. A utility structure that is more or less temporary might work but still feels kinda off to me. I keep coming back to some sort of tracking skills as those will serve a bunch of other purposes too.

The other issue I have with buildings is it makes it almost too easy to catch, it should still be possible just trickier if someone is actively 'searching' for you. Some active use skills that give you some limited info based on realtime passing could fit the bill.
Tracking could work too. It forces manually checking the hex. UO had a neat tracking feature. You picked what type of creature you were after and it gave you vague distance and direction. You had to recheck every so often, but it worked alright.

That still leads potentially to penalty style PVP which I am ok with ATM, but not if it actually starts to have teeth.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Duffy Swiftshadow
Hmmm that is a good point, I'll have to think about that more.
Midnight
Yeah I like Duffy's suggestions better than my O.P.

Especially if tracking and scrying are part of the Tabletop game (as they were in all the other brands of TTs I played.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Harad Navar
Decius
That sounds like a good use of a lookout tower- each tower allows the owning company to see how many PCs are in one adjacent hex per plus of the holding. Possibly with information about the company/settlement, possibly without.
I think that might be too much power for a holding. Maybe just in the hex itself, with the additional pluses giving more information with each plus.
Knowledge can explain the darkness, but it is not a light.
Decius
Harad Navar
Decius
That sounds like a good use of a lookout tower- each tower allows the owning company to see how many PCs are in one adjacent hex per plus of the holding. Possibly with information about the company/settlement, possibly without.
I think that might be too much power for a holding. Maybe just in the hex itself, with the additional pluses giving more information with each plus.
My thought was that it would be used to monitor hexes with t3 resources, none of which allow holdings.
Nihimon
Duffy Swiftshadow
… scrying…

*drool*
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post