Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Greedy Territoriality

Ravenlute
Midnight
Have you PLAYED it? I accompanied a player for an hour and a half and we didn't need to leave the sidewalk. Players also don't need to congregate for most things, in fact staying in one place pauses all egg hatching.

I'm aware of how it works. If people aren't sitting/standing around causing an issue with others then it's just a silly statement with no means of enforcement.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Midnight
Ravenlute
Midnight
Have you PLAYED it? I accompanied a player for an hour and a half and we didn't need to leave the sidewalk. Players also don't need to congregate for most things, in fact staying in one place pauses all egg hatching.

I'm aware of how it works. If people aren't sitting/standing around causing an issue with others then it's just a silly statement with no means of enforcement.

Like I said: greedy territoriality.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Decius
Ravenlute
Midnight

If the sidewalk is public property, blocking it is probably prohibited. If patrons+trainers are collectively blocking such a sidewalk, then the trainers, the patrons, and the store can all be found in violation.

Politely asking the trainers to leave or become customers is a perfectly legitimate enforcement mechanism.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Midnight
Like I said: greedy territoriality.
We live in a complex society. It's not hard for me to imagine Pokemon hunters getting into a situation where either they or a patron gets injured or inconvenienced enough to consider suing a shopkeeper. A sign discouraging non-customers from playing an active game on their premises seems like a pretty small and easy preventative step against more than one possible scenario. That they are doing it to generate more custom isn't inherently impossible, but it seems no more likely than some alternatives.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Thod-Theodum
You can fight it or embrace it

I just heard a story on the radio. A Church in Brimingham, UK is embracing the game as it is a Pokemon Gym. The responsible vicar was made aware of it by a 'stranger, camping on the door step' - which isn't unusual he said as they have rough sleepers.
But instead of being annoyed this church decided to embrace it and they have made posters - 'Jesus also loves Pokemon Players'. For years they tried (unsuccessfully) to get young people into entering the church. So while they might come for the 'wrong reasons' I have to applause the church to share their territoriality.

And the game hasn't even launched in the UK - didn't prevent 60 kids from my sons school to gather in the field during lunch break as someone placed a Poke lure and others offered WiFi Hotspots for the kids who had no data contracts. 60 = >5% of the whole school - in a country where you have to 'pretend' to be from New Zealand or Australia to be able to download it.

Apple must have loads of new people who suddenly live in New Zealand.
Thod/Theodum are the OOC/IC leaders of the Emerald Lodge - a neutral settlement in the center of the mal that tries to the first to explore the Emerald Spire - should that part of the game ever become available. We have a strong in game and out of game relationship with the Pathfinder Society.
We welcome both hard core players as well as casual players with or without tabletop experience. We have a strong group in Europe and are slowly expanding into the US. We are predominately PvE as our neutral political stance means that we tend to use PvP only in self-defence. We are not anti-PVP - but expect limited PvP opportunity with us.
Hobson Fiffledown
There are two local businesses near my town already hitting up their Niantic contacts to add their businesses as gyms. Both are in newly zoned and built areas and both are geek themed businesses which would love the geeky foot traffic. Ingress was fun, but it's nice to see them finally cash in big time.
This space for rent.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post