Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

NewCorp Announcement

Bringslite
Midnight
Bringslite
In the meantime, yeah, get some better avenues for casual PVP and a much lower threshold to have to cross to be able to dabble in it if that is your thing.

I think faction PvP could turn into something not particularly "casual". But what should be nice is it would be more consensual than some PvP we've seen in the past.

What I'm saying is that successful faction participation may involve a lot of complicated demands on the player (by other players e.g. the complicated anti-spying auths/comms/security-checks ala Eve-Online) if it doesn't lend itself to solo rewards. It might not be a viable activity for casuals, or grouping (and all its attendant complications) may be a vastly more effective use of one's time. We'll see.

Well the audience is pretty much made up of players that are not normally into PVP unless it is "purposeful" and some pretty disgruntled PVP enthusiasts, if we can even narrow the picture down that far. Let's just say instead that there is a wide spectrum, like in almost any game. Going with that, there are probably the thickest parts of the pop in the "not real interested" and the "willing for purpose" of this spectrum. Nothing much will be solved if it is too easy to opt out of factions as a way to opt out of PVP. That is kind of why being in a faction probably needs to be rewarding somehow at even the lowest entry point. That lowest Tier entry point might need to be also opting in to faction PVP. On the flip side, if it is too much of a "nerf" to not be in a faction, the die hard "No PVP Thanks" players will choose another game. I don't know what slice of the pie that would turn out to be, but if large enough, nothing gets solved with factions. Might as well have open world and just rep penalty PVP.

Trammel and Felluca kind of wrecked UO, from what I remember. I suppose that it just isn't wise to try and please either extremes of the spectrum and accept what pie you get from your best shot at a middle ground designed system.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
Hopefully the next 10,000 future players will be more representative of the sandbox/MMO community than either of the existing extremes, and those 10,000 are obviously the folks NewCorp is targeting (while having learned from THIS community's experiences).

It sounds like they may be raising as much money as Eve-Online initially did. Now in inflation adjusted dollars that is still pretty sweet for a true sandbox (which Eve wasn't nor did Eve claim to be at release) but not highly encouraging for those that might be looking for dev created PvE content like Eve's thousands of missions (quests).
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Duffy Swiftshadow
The audience will simply be whatever the audience for the game is, the biggest mistake is trying to target/steal a specific audience. Just let them make their game and see what happens. Being you own niche is more likely to succeed than trying to copy someone else or do a slight twist on another game.
Bringslite
Duffy Swiftshadow
The audience will simply be whatever the audience for the game is, the biggest mistake is trying to target/steal a specific audience. Just let them make their game and see what happens. Being you own niche is more likely to succeed than trying to copy someone else or do a slight twist on another game.
That seems like the most sensible approach. As fickle as the MMO player market is, probably the best.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Gagnrath
Bringslite
Duffy Swiftshadow
That seems like the most sensible approach. As fickle as the MMO player market is, probably the best.

+1
Decius
The world is big enough that there's a lot of niches big enough for a game to exist. All that needs to happen is to fit one of them.
Notmyrealname
"Although not currently planned, if necessary we will give advance notice of changes to current (or previously announced) mechanics and we expect to provide a way for players to make a reasonable transition to any modified mechanics."

Does this 'no plans' include the eve style sub ,earning xp over time and not by your actions. Or is the sub vs ftp model a different concept from mechanics . And thanks for the interesting update Anonymous Spokesperson for the Unknown Company.
Bringslite
Notmyrealname
"Although not currently planned, if necessary we will give advance notice of changes to current (or previously announced) mechanics and we expect to provide a way for players to make a reasonable transition to any modified mechanics."

Does this 'no plans' include the eve style sub ,earning xp over time and not by your actions. Or is the sub vs ftp model a different concept from mechanics . And thanks for the interesting update Anonymous Spokesperson for the Unknown Company.
I'll take a stab at interpretation of that comment: Currently(could also mean "as of right now"smile we are not planning drastic changes, but if we do, we will give adequate advanced notice so that players can mitigate any inconvenience that such changes might cause.

I don't read here that they plan to make NO changes. I don't read that they plan to make NO drastic changes. I read here that they just don't have drastic plans about the specifics of mechanics yet, but that they will minimize our pain if they find they need to make drastic or small changes.

Edit: Hmmm… not sure where I got "drastic" and/or why I added it to this…
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Notmyrealname
Edit: Hmmm… not sure where I got "drastic" and/or why I added it to this…

so if they make your class female only , they will give you time to go buy a dress? … "drastic" definition
Midnight
I think the market for subscription games is pretty clear to me. Furthermore, the difficulty of launching a subscription game and KEEPING it a subscription is difficult enough that we have many examples of how NOT to do it. I'd submit that anyone who learns from those failure examples as well as the success examples has a very limited set of choices remaining to them.

I totally agree that game makers can make whatever game they like and make money off it.

I totally disagree that game makers can make whatever game they like and get players to pay a $15 a month subscription for it.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post