Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Factions and other social structures?

Decius
Should faction be a settlement-level choice, a company choice, or an individual choice? Assuming it is an individual choice, should opposing faction members be allowed in the same settlement? Company? Should the settlement guards interfere with faction warfare between citizens? Where a citizen is attacked by a noncitizen? Where a noncitizen attacks a citizen? Between noncitizens? What about holding guards: how should they respond to faction warfare involving members of the company that maintains the holding?

In general, should it be supported for players in different factions to get along as well as they do now? If not, what does that suggest about how homogenous faction membership will end up being?
Duffy Swiftshadow
Mixed, bonuses or reliable access when everything lines up right but not exclusionary. Alignments are probably gonna be rough or strong enough limiter in most cases.
Garric Orcsbane
I see faction choices as an individual choice, not a settlement level choice. As to guards, if people are going to fight in the streets of town then the guards should interceed. Just because your faction choice allows you to fight someone, nothing requires you to do so. You don't have to like or get along with someone to make the choice not to attack them in a place where there are likely to be consequences.
Bringslite
There are few fantasy community areas(villages, towns, cities) that I can think of where it is OKIE DOKIE to burst into open battle in the middle of the street. I'd advocate that it be some sort of choice and setting in the settlement UI and that setting have some sort of cost/benefit/penalty to some DI or other factor.

That might just help with the problem of many factions(+9) and those problems that would come with a limited number of settlements and so, lack of diversity of active factions.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Azure_Zero
From what I recall when Ryan was CEO and talked about Factions, there were THREE levels of factions; personal, company and Settlement.
Thorgrim Foegrinder
I wrote some of my thoughts, but then it occurred to me - why not leave it up to each settlement? More chaotic settlements might want to allow any faction fights to happen within the settlement. Super lawful settlements might want to restrict it to no fighting at all. Those in between might prefer to allow citizens to fight each other, possibly on the assumption that it would remain friendly, but still have the guards favor citizens over non-citizens (which may or may not cover the case of a citizen initiating the hostilities). I think the more options available for each settlement to be different and self-governing the better.
[Sylva] is the premier Nature based settlement in Pathfinder Online. We're a family that has come together through the game, and we're one of the most active settlements currently. We have a solid roleplaying foundation and are a home to those who both love and hate PvP.

[The Seventh Veil] is a meta-game group with members in several different settlements. We've created many guides and spreadsheets for the game that are referenced by hundreds of players on a daily basis and we maintain multiple websites like [Goblinary.com], [The Storehouse], and [The Unofficial PFO Atlas] to make information more readily available. The Seventh Veil promotes positive game play at all times.
Thorgrim Foegrinder
Azure_Zero
From what I recall when Ryan was CEO and talked about Factions, there were THREE levels of factions; personal, company and Settlement.
I believe this was in the design at some point, but the big distinction was that the factions themselves were set up for individuals, companies, or settlements, not the other way around. By that I mean that a settlement might be able to choose between factions A or B, a company could choose between factions C or D, and individuals could choose between factions E or F. I don't believe there were plans for any crossover between those.
[Sylva] is the premier Nature based settlement in Pathfinder Online. We're a family that has come together through the game, and we're one of the most active settlements currently. We have a solid roleplaying foundation and are a home to those who both love and hate PvP.

[The Seventh Veil] is a meta-game group with members in several different settlements. We've created many guides and spreadsheets for the game that are referenced by hundreds of players on a daily basis and we maintain multiple websites like [Goblinary.com], [The Storehouse], and [The Unofficial PFO Atlas] to make information more readily available. The Seventh Veil promotes positive game play at all times.
Father Bronin
Thorgrim Foegrinder
I wrote some of my thoughts, but then it occurred to me - why not leave it up to each settlement? More chaotic settlements might want to allow any faction fights to happen within the settlement. Super lawful settlements might want to restrict it to no fighting at all. Those in between might prefer to allow citizens to fight each other, possibly on the assumption that it would remain friendly, but still have the guards favor citizens over non-citizens (which may or may not cover the case of a citizen initiating the hostilities). I think the more options available for each settlement to be different and self-governing the better.

I second this concept. Each settlement should be able to adjust the level of lawlessness allowed within their borders.
Midnight
I think that keeping fights from breaking out should cost more in guards.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Paddy Fitzpatrick
We need some way to buy more guards as well for that to work.

I think factions should be chosen at the individual or company level, not settlement one. The faction syatem should be a parallel system wih its own means of providing the necessary basic training and support for character advancement. It should not require settlement membership or participation at all.

Settlements should be there for politics, land conquest, war, protection (please give us more guards and fortifications to do this lol) of an actual city, more advanced facilities, etc. They should be two separate social structures and people should then only take part in them cause they want to, not cause they have to.

Now in addition to insividuals, maybe you can have entire companies join a faction too. I think that would be good to save some time and promote some comaraderie between members and give new guilds a place to go. It also means companies have a viable existence outside of settlements, granting them new purpose.

As for settlements, in addition to deciding whether other settlements can use their facilities they can decide which factions can use them as well. If the founding company is aligned with a faction maybe they can have their settlement provide some faction benefits. There can be levels of fighting set somehow in various settlements regarsing factions like Thorgrim said too. All ways to make the settlement unique and interact with fsctions without making one dependent on the other (which would be a disaster).

The other benefit of keeping the faction system separate is for when settlements die. If one day some overzealous goodie two shoes group decides regarding Dun Baile, "Those Irish Sons of Bitches are going down!" and others join in saying "Bout that time eh chaps? Right O!", Fianna can still exist in some form in the faction syatem. From there we can decide whether to just remain as part of the overall bandit faction and be content, or build our strength back and try to get back in the settlement game.

Course the victors can still have sanctions on Fianna, but then they would have to include all bandits from the faction, which could create even more fun, or not and not risk getting the attention of all the bandits (look ma, meaningful choices!). smile
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post