Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Factions and other social structures?

Duffy Swiftshadow
Bringslite
All previously proposed stuff and certainly not really bad. Just so vanilla. Nothing that might seem OP even if it is possible in and under a finite set of circumstances.

As far as the assassin stuff tied to harming the settlement's DI or whatever they had figured, I am hoping that taking settlements will be easier by making them suffer attritions of some kind. That would be a neat mechanic that opened lots of avenues for clandestine and even obvious sabotage. I am on record as wanting settlement capture to not be an easy or swift thing. I'll also go on record requesting that attacking DI should have some tangible results. More meaningful than the obviously silly strategy of trying to win by wearing out all the other side's gear. smile

If a sabotage/assassination campaign weakens defenses and NPCs (via DI or w/e) or what not I could see that working reasonably well. Even messing with crafting speeds, bulk generation, threading limits, respawn mechanics, etc…
Bringslite
So what are we to call the specialized "professions" that we might pick up as a result of specialized faction only training? Some of the most obvious are bandit, guard, merchant, teamster, assassin, bounty hunter, spy?, politician?, Diviner, ….

Anything else we would like to see specialized skills for?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Decius
Bringslite
So what are we to call the specialized "professions" that we might pick up as a result of specialized faction only training? Some of the most obvious are bandit, guard, merchant, teamster, assassin, bounty hunter, spy?, politician?, Diviner, ….

Anything else we would like to see specialized skills for?
Slaver. Emancipator.
Midnight
I've warned before to never ignore the ability of hardcore PLAYERS to suck the fun out a game, and "special things" is another aspect of gaming where it tends to happen.

"Special Things" tend to cause exclusionary player behavior at the highest levels of play. There is inevitably an optimal combination of classes/skills/set-armor/etc. and any character that can't fill one of those roles that the players wind up making an elite "requirement" gets left out of grouping.

This gets especially bad in games that set hard limits on group size (like PFO). The smaller that the maximum group size is, the more exclusionary the players get. It is probably at its worst in Diablo 3 where group sizes can't be any greater than 4 players.

What's funny is Blizzard's WoW developers have learned from Blizzard's Diablo players and have largely sucked all the "special things" out of WoW, while remaining unable or unwilling to fix the problem in Diablo 3.

I'm not arguing against "special things" as much as I'm explaining why the gaming industry is making our characters less special. In fact, this year, I've spent 1000 times more play time in D3 with its "special things" than I spend in WoW, even though I play both games.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Edam
Midnight
This gets especially bad in games that set hard limits on group size (like PFO). The smaller that the maximum group size is, the more exclusionary the players get.

I have always argued that max party size in PFO should be at least 7. Firstly there is more scope to include lower tier players. Secondly with up to 7 players you can form a single party, and if you get 8 or more splitting into two 4 player parties is a workable option. (currently with 7 players you need to do an undesirable 4/3 split or drop one player)
Decius
I'm not aware of any design reason to cap party size. I could see adjusting drop chances, making them top out at 462% before party loot rules apply.
Azure_Zero
Party limit of 6, if I recall right was due to some math weird effects of loot drops in parties of 7 and up from one of the Keepside Chats.
Decius
Unlimited party size would make the end of an escalation crowded.
Bringslite
Decius
I'm not aware of any design reason to cap party size. I could see adjusting drop chances, making them top out at 462% before party loot rules apply.

Right. Because everyone in a party generates new coin and valuables every time some critter dies and there are only very minimal coin drains operational as of yet. It is already out of control now. The amount of plain raw currency in the hands of players, that is, and nothing to use it for.

If the automatic gain of some T3 rewards for some Bosses is left active, chances definitely need to be adjusted. If players want larger party size ability, they will probably have to accept that not all will get parts of the best rewards.

I wonder if a built in party member timer that rewarded the longest present members first would be a good trade off?

Edit: Or would a timer showing exactly how long you have been doing a particular party activity be a bit much to see in exact detail? smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Aglos
6 person party is working just fine - if it aint broke don't fix it. If/when a bunch of new players come in there will be plenty of people to make more 6 person parties and likely nowhere near enough escalations to go around. Then we will start to see conflict and maybe the server will finally DO something about the overnight/pacific rim poachers.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post