Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Social/New Player Improvements

Maxen
Since NewCorp announced that social and new player improvements would be at the top of their list, I thought it would be helpful to reintroduce a list of social/new player features we would like to see. Let's try to keep this thread to lists of improvements and *not* counter points to things we don't agree will work. As my GM always says, "Don't say 'no'; just determine difficulty." It's up to NewCorp to decide what makes sense and what can't be done.

I'll start. I would like to see:

1) An easier way to respond to a Whisper. For example, pressing a key like 'Backspace' to auto reply to the last incoming Whisper.

2) A way to 'friend' other players so I can see when they are online.

3) A way to a way to 'hide' from players who have friended me so I can have privacy when needed.

4) A way to 'ban' a player so that I no longer see Whispers or their Chats in general. Conversely, I would like to have a list maintained so I can 'unban' them in the future.

5) A way for multiple parties to 'team up' to form a super party.

6) Company text chat.

7) Integrated voice chat with permissions and the ability to create private rooms on the fly for pick up groups.
Thorgrim Foegrinder
- EVE-style chat system, which allows for resizing windows, having multiple windows open, creating chat channels and inviting people to them, etc.

- Better company info windows, which allow for uploaded (or chosen from a list) logos/icons, and if possible a way to click on a link in the text to ask the OS to open an external browser window/tab to go to the website.

- Some way to see all of the icons on the minimap, especially when things get chaotic. Maybe a 3D system with lines connecting the floating icon to the location on the minimap or something. When we had 50+ people in battles last summer it sometimes got pretty hectic.

- Right click on someone standing nearby to bring up a menu to do things like trade, emote, whisper, etc
[Sylva] is the premier Nature based settlement in Pathfinder Online. We're a family that has come together through the game, and we're one of the most active settlements currently. We have a solid roleplaying foundation and are a home to those who both love and hate PvP.

[The Seventh Veil] is a meta-game group with members in several different settlements. We've created many guides and spreadsheets for the game that are referenced by hundreds of players on a daily basis and we maintain multiple websites like [Goblinary.com], [The Storehouse], and [The Unofficial PFO Atlas] to make information more readily available. The Seventh Veil promotes positive game play at all times.
Father Bronin
How about a way to transfer goods between your characters without having to use a company bank.
Quijenoth Starkiller
Maxen
1) An easier way to respond to a Whisper. For example, pressing a key like 'Backspace' to auto reply to the last incoming Whisper.

2) A way to 'friend' other players so I can see when they are online.

3) A way to a way to 'hide' from players who have friended me so I can have privacy when needed.

4) A way to 'ban' a player so that I no longer see Whispers or their Chats in general. Conversely, I would like to have a list maintained so I can 'unban' them in the future.

5) A way for multiple parties to 'team up' to form a super party.

6) Company text chat.

7) Integrated voice chat with permissions and the ability to create private rooms on the fly for pick up groups.

would like to expand on these a little.

1) have the key 'backspace' cycle through previous whispers until you start typing a reply.

2) introduce multiple chat tags for friends, guildies, alts, etc. with name colors so you can quickly identify them

4) add a spam option to differentiate generally rude players from spam bots so you can exclude them account wide. Many games exclude banned names from chat but sometimes banning someone can lead to confusion in general chat channels. instead have the banned players name appear but the text they type replaced with a link "banned (click to view)".

8 ) hyperlinking names in chat so you can right-click that players name to bring up a menu with the options to whisper/ban/un-ban/etc.

9) Introduce a system that uses a facebook style 'like' mechanic. The system would limit use of whispers per account per day, unwanted/nuisance whispers allow players to 'dislike' the whisper. 10-15 'dislikes' and no further whispers can be sent resulting in a black mark against the account. 100 black marks over a certain period and the system could use this to report abuse to moderators. Additionally the system could be used to like a whisper, allowing players to 'save' messages in a special log for future reference.

10) Once this is all in place, and we have advertising and job boards in the game, bring back hex chat, with option to /shout to broadcast to the whole hex and remove general chat altogether.
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Bringslite
Social Tools:
*PM system for these forums

*"Last Updates In Topics" button also on top of forum page

*In game, Right Click functionality from the chat box, for
-offer to befriend
-unfriend
-trade
-whisper
-invite to party
-kick from party
-mute/unmute

-leave promote to leader a backslash command
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
A Binding Contract system.

Message Boards in the various Taverns and Inns across the lands with controls for the "Owner/s".

In game mail system that is within a settlement only, with which even materials can be exchanged. <—Coin Sink Potential
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
The ingame mail system would need to immediately drop all undelivered mailed items back to the sender's vault the moment a siege starts against a settlement. We can't allow mail to hide items from capture.

Sorry if that seems terribly obvious, but I also thought not allowing people to stockpile bulk goods for months before holdings became vulnerable was obvious, and we all know how that went.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Quijenoth Starkiller
Midnight
The ingame mail system would need to immediately drop all undelivered mailed items back to the sender's vault the moment a siege starts against a settlement. We can't allow mail to hide items from capture.

Sorry if that seems terribly obvious, but I also thought not allowing people to stockpile bulk goods for months before holdings became vulnerable was obvious, and we all know how that went.

+1
Quijenoth Starkiller Viceroy of Callambea
Company Leader of Beyond the Grave - www.beyond-pfo.com
Crafting Planner
Paddy Fitzpatrick
I like most of these ideas. All good stuff.

Not a fan of removing gen chat completely at all (but limiting what you can do with it aint a bad idea). I like the idea of a working hex chat for a change but there are way too many hexes and the area per hex is way too small for anyone to connect to a social game like this. In a game where everyone tells ya how you cant really play it alone, if you cant even hook up with people, well whats the point? It aint like this would be the only sandbox that has ever done this and the game world of the River Kingdoms on a single planet aint anywhere near the size of the EVE universe. It also aint like you are hitting a jump gate to a completely different starsystem, the next hex is literally going on the other side of a tree or river.

That dont even take the pop count into consideration. Even when this game gets to 10k (or whatever the magic number is), hexes wont have a large, constant stream of players evenly distributed all the time. First ya got players in multiple timezones, then you will have on any given day a lot of uneven distributions too. For there to be enough activity to even make removing gen chat worth it, you are gonna need ten times as many folks as whatever the current magic number is.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Also not sure if like/dislike for whispers is the most efficient way to handle actual harrassment. Would there be an option to go straight to reporting them?
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post