Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Social/New Player Improvements

Bringslite
Maxen
Let's try to keep this thread to lists of improvements and *not* counter points to things we don't agree will work.

Not even one page of respect for the OP?

*I would like to see the option to put a "maker's mark" on the things I craft if I want.
*Also an option to have a "seller's name" visible on AH listings.
*Hirable NPC town criers for player start areas that blurb short messages at respectable intervals.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Decius
Midnight
The ingame mail system would need to immediately drop all undelivered mailed items back to the sender's vault the moment a siege starts against a settlement. We can't allow mail to hide items from capture.

Sorry if that seems terribly obvious, but I also thought not allowing people to stockpile bulk goods for months before holdings became vulnerable was obvious, and we all know how that went.
Why would mailed items ever not be in a vault?
Midnight
Decius
Midnight
The ingame mail system would need to immediately drop all undelivered mailed items back to the sender's vault the moment a siege starts against a settlement. We can't allow mail to hide items from capture.

Sorry if that seems terribly obvious, but I also thought not allowing people to stockpile bulk goods for months before holdings became vulnerable was obvious, and we all know how that went.

In most games, mail is it's own "place". In games with limited storage, players game the system by using mail to supplement their storage, so in most games mail isn't in someone's vault. If mail is it's own "place" we need to be sure it isn't used to deny sieging forces the chance to capture the items.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Bringslite
Midnight
Decius
Midnight

In most games, mail is it's own "place". In games with limited storage, players game the system by using mail to supplement their storage, so in most games mail isn't in someone's vault. If mail is it's own "place" we need to be sure it isn't used to deny sieging forces the chance to capture the items.

*sigh* If I want to do that. why not simply speed click everything onto an alt and log it out?
Any way that we could avoid debate and just share ideas for improving the Social Dynamic in-game? I am sure that NewCorp can see problems with any idea and work with, around, or discard as impractical.

Edit: It's 2016. I would like the ability to customize the various levels in companies with "titles" that we choose rather than recruit –> leader.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
Would like to see leaders able to put sticky messages in "Settlement Chat", even if they are only a server up to server down thing. Preferably longer.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Duffy Swiftshadow
Bringslite
Midnight
Decius
Midnight

*sigh* If I want to do that. why not simply speed click everything onto an alt and log it out?
Any way that we could avoid debate and just share ideas for improving the Social Dynamic in-game? I am sure that NewCorp can see problems with any idea and work with, around, or discard as impractical.

Edit: It's 2016. I would like the ability to customize the various levels in companies with "titles" that we choose rather than recruit –> leader.

Because that's not the point of Crowdforging, and while I have every faith in the developers that faith includes hearing us and taking it into account our points whether they ultimately decide how useful said points are. That is the value of crowdforging: having additional brains think about these ideas for them and/or catch corner cases. It's very easy for them to discard the bits that just don't match their vision, but some stray comment may easily present something no one thought about.

On Topic: A robust contracting system can get a lot of use and I would love to see one make it's way into PFO. Aside from the obvious trade uses, being able to setup internal dropoff/pickup contracts or even tie them to crafting security (bit more complex) would make managing large crafting groups a lot easier. I would also love to see a bit more freeform, such as loans or payments backed with collateral and what not that maybe feeds into some other systems. Would need to be carefully thought out but potential their.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Bringslite
Would like to see leaders able to put sticky messages in "Settlement Chat", even if they are only a server up to server down thing. Preferably longer.

Hell yeah!
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Halfner
New Guy here. Didn't go past my free 2 weeks but I do have a social facilitator concept for you. Why do I have to search all of the hundreds of companies to find one with limited information? Why can't I fill out some preference and circumstance information and have companies contact me?

I am hoping this game gets some love soon. It's not terrible but it's not worth $15/month because it offers fantastic future features.
Bringslite
Duffy Swiftshadow
Bringslite
Midnight
Decius
Midnight

Because that's not the point of Crowdforging, and while I have every faith in the developers that faith includes hearing us and taking it into account our points whether they ultimately decide how useful said points are. That is the value of crowdforging: having additional brains think about these ideas for them and/or catch corner cases. It's very easy for them to discard the bits that just don't match their vision, but some stray comment may easily present something no one thought about.

On Topic: A robust contracting system can get a lot of use and I would love to see one make it's way into PFO. Aside from the obvious trade uses, being able to setup internal dropoff/pickup contracts or even tie them to crafting security (bit more complex) would make managing large crafting groups a lot easier. I would also love to see a bit more freeform, such as loans or payments backed with collateral and what not that maybe feeds into some other systems. Would need to be carefully thought out but potential their.

Aside from the OP's request, I can't help but wonder if Crowdforging might be more productive if the Developer came and said "Here are 3 features that we picked from what You all suggested. We can make these happen in the next build. Please discuss how they would work best and what you would like or would not like about those suggestions."

Other than that, I retire my Forum Police Badge for this thread now. smile
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Duffy Swiftshadow
Bringslite
Duffy Swiftshadow
Bringslite
Midnight
Decius
Midnight

Aside from the OP's request, I can't help but wonder if Crowdforging might be more productive if the Developer came and said "Here are 3 features that we picked from what You all suggested. We can make these happen in the next build. Please discuss how they would work best and what you would like or would not like about those suggestions."

Other than that, I retire my Forum Police Badge for this thread now. smile

From a software engineering point of view that is pretty close to impossible to reliably plan that way and would most likely create a very frustrating situation for players as they would take the inevitable 'delays' that would spawn from those conversations poorly. Ideally our input should be accounted for in the design phase as that's when the potential work is hashed out and estimated, then based on that estimate (and what else depends on it or it depends on) it's scheduled with other tasks to create patches. They also leave room for fixing or tweaking other aspects within those patch schedules, so something like 25%-50% fixes/tweaks and 50%-75% new development is pretty normal. Hotfixes are reserved for major problems that effect stability of the game systems. It varies in details depending on the model their using, but most folks use some version of Scrum or other Agile process these days.

On Topic: Refining the ability to find potential (or even just active) companies is something that could be handy, as a veteran I probably forget about that aspect far too much. Sadly I already think their are too many for the level of searching we have to be useful, but it's probably worth cleaning up the tool a bit.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post