Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Social/New Player Improvements

Edam
Bringslite
Realism vs. Convenience. So far in no way is this game slotted for hardcore realism. We have seen that from Developer descriptions and responses from the first days. The emphasis is on (or supposed to be) having fun spending time in-game. That is the goal and the bottom line, IMO, of what we have seen to be the intent. Yeah, that requires time and money to make happen. It is were the game is going, in general.

Yes there are those few that want the real hardcore of no gen chat. Maybe having your own shops and actually having to mind the store with your play time. Having to guard your settlements, with players, 23/7 to keep out undesirable visitors. Having to run great distance to see what may or may not be in a particular auction house. While those are all interesting ideas, they just don't strike me as fun playtime. MMO gaming is not yet so viscerally REAL that those type of things can be FUN. They might someday be that way, but not yet.

Maybe if those super hardcore few become a large enough % of the player base, options to play that way could actually be coded in. Some kind of already are. You should have the option to turn off gen chat if you want. You can stand in your settlement of choice and shout out what you have for sale if you wish. The ability to physically guard(with real characters) your settlements and holdings is there right now. It is possible to run around AH to AH if you want, possibly finding the things you want at the prices you like.

No one has chosen to play that way yet. No one likes to run around long distances aimlessly or at least not many on a regular basis.

Well the player shops sort of exist in the sense that a lot of crafters direct trade. Our KP artificer has sold something like 30 or 40 T2 spellbooks over the past month or two but not one was through the Auction Houses.
Seraph
Paddy Fitzpatrick
The solution? Either make it less of a run sim with more travel options, or have a true autorun option where you can set a waypoint and forget it (at your own peril of course). The less time spent on boring run sim, the more time you have for everything else.

I agree with this entirely. Even if I have a couple hours to be online, the last thing I want to do is spend 30-40 minutes of it running. I'd rather play another game where I can do something fun with those 30 minutes or just stay local most of the time.

We need an autorun system. Keeps you in game, vulnerable to bandits and other forms of attack, maybe sticks to roads so it's not just a straight line (you can do that now). Lets you AFK or do something else that's more fun without taking away the (important for how the game works) concerns and time sink of traveling over distance.
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven
Duffy Swiftshadow
Seraph
Paddy Fitzpatrick
The solution? Either make it less of a run sim with more travel options, or have a true autorun option where you can set a waypoint and forget it (at your own peril of course). The less time spent on boring run sim, the more time you have for everything else.

I agree with this entirely. Even if I have a couple hours to be online, the last thing I want to do is spend 30-40 minutes of it running. I'd rather play another game where I can do something fun with those 30 minutes or just stay local most of the time.

We need an autorun system. Keeps you in game, vulnerable to bandits and other forms of attack, maybe sticks to roads so it's not just a straight line (you can do that now). Lets you AFK or do something else that's more fun without taking away the (important for how the game works) concerns and time sink of traveling over distance.

I tend to do a lot of my busy work or alt activity during auto travel options, makes life a bit more efficient, would love more travel options, just no complete freebies.
Seraph
Duffy Swiftshadow
I tend to do a lot of my busy work or alt activity during auto travel options, makes life a bit more efficient, would love more travel options, just no complete freebies.

Yeah, I'm sure everyone with multiple accounts has gotten used to the idea of running multiple clients positioned in such a way that you can keep an eye on at least the minimap of one that's running while doing something else on the other client. It works well enough.

But I don't think we should accept that as a good mechanic. I've never played another game where I might consider doing something else in a second window while my character is active in the first one. All we're doing is mitigating a very unfun part of the game, though I suppose autorun kind of does the same thing.
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven
Duffy Swiftshadow
Seraph
Duffy Swiftshadow

Yeah, I'm sure everyone with multiple accounts has gotten used to the idea of running multiple clients positioned in such a way that you can keep an eye on at least the minimap of one that's running while doing something else on the other client. It works well enough.

But I don't think we should accept that as a good mechanic. I've never played another game where I might consider doing something else in a second window while my character is active in the first one. All we're doing is mitigating a very unfun part of the game, though I suppose autorun kind of does the same thing.

What we have is a start, I would prefer something a little more fleshed out and relatively safer, but still in the realm of being able to cause player interaction. Would be awesome if roads actually served a purpose and could be planned, built around, or strategically used.
Maxen
Maxen
Another one:

Fast(er) travel. Whether it's a point to point horse (similar to speeders in SWTOR) I can rent that has a mechanic for bandits to interrupt travel, or just a plain old horse I can purchase and ride around Golarion. I don't think an Emory Board +5 will grind the callouses off my feet! smile

…ahem… smile
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Well I mean, a true autorun with waypoints can be ultra dangerous in this kind of game lol.

You wanna go do an autorun for 30 minutes and go grab some grub? Welk, if youbare willinng to risk getting roughed up by some drunken irish bandits whike ya afk then hey I aint gonna complain lol
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Seraph
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Well I mean, a true autorun with waypoints can be ultra dangerous in this kind of game lol.

You wanna go do an autorun for 30 minutes and go grab some grub? Welk, if youbare willinng to risk getting roughed up by some drunken irish bandits whike ya afk then hey I aint gonna complain lol

Yeah, I'm totally fine with that risk, plus for the bandits it creates natural ambush points on roads. I think it's a good dynamic. You'd need to choose when you use it – it might be fairly safe to use it for running around your own territory and much more risky running across the map.
Seraph
Cleric of Sarenrae
Brighthaven

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post