Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

NewCorp Update

NewCorp
We expected to provide more information about the status of the capital raise today.

Unfortunately the status of the capital raise is - "we are still working on it."

We will post again by the end of the week.
Ravenlute
Well, that's lame.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
AlexanderDamocles
A firm date with actual information is good.

I would love to support the ongoing project, but I have seen only "checks in the mail" posts for awhile. I admit that that is only my perceptions, and I doubt that is how it is meant to be sent, but, well….its been awhile.
Wolf of Rathglen
1) Thanks for keeping in touch even though nothing official has changed
2) Since it's been so long with nothing concrete an identifiable time will help us feel better about a delay of info until the end of the week; even if you commit to "Friday" or "Saturday" it's more solid than end of the week.
Hammerfall: Like a waterfall, but tougher.
Notmyrealname
Posting as an anonymous company is not helpful after doing it for 7 weeks. You aren't communicating unless we first know who is talking to us.Who is it that is making promises to us?
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Its…not complicated guys…

End of week usually means COB Friday…

If we dont hear nothing by Monday, then we should be more concerned.

Would you have preferred no communication yesterday at all?

That said, I too would at least like to know the identity of NewCorp at this point. I dont see a reason to keep hush hush on that part.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Decius
I don't like to come off as an overentitled customer, but throughout the development of PFO, including now this funding process, I've consistently seen public-facing timelines slip. Goblinworks doesn't even have a "marketing" that can not coordinate with "production" when promising dates.

The inability to accurately estimate time required seems endemic to the programming industry. Correcting the root cause of why people consistently fail to update their heuristics for making time estimates is a hard, but worthwhile, problem.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Software's secret: traditional timeline techniques do not mesh well with the realities of actually producing software under most conditions. And when it's forced to fit something suffers one way or another whether it's money, time, or quality. And that's on top of all the normal interactions between people and entities that can effect timelines.

Most groups are happy if they can predict a general window and land somewhere inside it. We usually aim for a specific month, maybe two if a large patch. But even that subjective to the general size and complexity of our patches.
MidniteArrow
[ooc]

Projects slip. Settle down and enjoy the game, or don't. But getting frustrated over slipping of public announcements at this point is your fault, not newcorp's. This project slips, probably because they give us best-case scenario timelines. This last timeline should have been interpreted by everyone as "if things go absolutely perfect, we'll know by August 15." Well, things almost never do that.

You'll enjoy life more if you accept that:

1: NewCorp isn't settled yet
2: They're not self-identifying until they're settled, which may or may not happen at some point in the future
3: There's an active game going on…. join the war!
4: If PFO isn't fun for you right now, check back in a few weeks, and go play No Man's Sky, or get a Rift.
Drakis [Arrodima] [Default Speaker] [PvE Soldier, Empyrean Legion ]
Nijah [Arrodima] [Leader, The Argent Defenders, PvE]
Jinh [Arrodima] [Leader, The Concordian Council]
Decius
Duffy Swiftshadow
Software's secret: traditional timeline techniques do not mesh well with the realities of actually producing software under most conditions. And when it's forced to fit something suffers one way or another whether it's money, time, or quality. And that's on top of all the normal interactions between people and entities that can effect timelines.

Most groups are happy if they can predict a general window and land somewhere inside it. We usually aim for a specific month, maybe two if a large patch. But even that subjective to the general size and complexity of our patches.
Software is not magic. Traditional techniques work just as well on software as they do on construction projects, when used properly.

Properly estimating construction projects using traditional techniques often means that crews will have to work some overtime as milestones approach. Estimators know that they can't get away with scheduling on the assumption that requirements won't change, problems won't arise, or that everyone will work crunch time for months on end- all of which are errors that I see when people attempt to make traditional estimates of how long a software project will take, to say nothing of deadlines imposed by factors irrelevant to the work being done: when a deadline is for a trade show, a marketing promise, or to fit a financials report, any correspondence to the time the work will be done is entirely coincidental.

The old standby "bug fixes take a random amount of time" is exactly true enough that it is predictable how much time they will take.

Making best-case estimates (i.e. committing planning fallacy) for public-facing self-set timelines would be bad enough. But in that case, at least a story about an unexpected setback could be released when the setback occurred, and the public could possibly understand. If the timeline is set at "how long can we string people along and keep them interested and waiting for another string-along (which may or may not have been the case here), there's no way to convince reality to follow the estimate.
If I were setting over/under bets contingent on this deal happening, I'd put November 20 as the split for the deal being finalized, with October 30 being the date where substantial new information was released. 95% intervals spread from Aug 28 to April 2017, and the 50% interval is broken by the holiday season.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post