Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

PvP Window Duration Bug

Midnight
Fiery
I think the design was always based on a company identity, whereas that's likely not a realistic expectation…as population grows, and if settlements require rather large populations as previously stated, companies *might* develop a stronger identity…but it seems unlikely to me to be significant.

Companies will be as important as the devs make them.

We could probably fill an entire thread with ideas of how to empower companies. The question is whether that's what players want. e.g. if companies hold a lot of power, some settlement members could feel like second class citizens because other companies hold more power than their company does.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Fiery
Of course, if we go this far, we also have to ask…at what point of simplification and tying to tie systems to settlements rather than companies do companies become obsolete, as compared to directly joining a settlement?
Duffy Swiftshadow
Fiery
Of course, if we go this far, we also have to ask…at what point of simplification and tying to tie systems to settlements rather than companies do companies become obsolete, as compared to directly joining a settlement?

I'm sure there is some point, but it really depends on the specific mechanics they have in mind. As it stands today, Companies and Influence are an awkward hoop to jump through to control what is basically a settlement resource that is treated and defended as such. Additionally in the future I don't think the idea of thousands of companies with influence trying to control holdings scales very well for the territory controlling ecosystem. I expect there to be far too much spare influence sitting around on companies that don't have to control anything.

I would prefer to get companies out of that part of the game and switch the company focus to specializing in specific activities or factions. The company and how it's influence is spent should be about personal identity within the settlement and not about feeding the settlement itself directly. That settlement growth should be mostly generic by sheer virtue of disparate companies working together and thus should be built upon the efforts of the whole and not individual companies.
Edam
I had always assumed at some stage, in addition to company feuds, there would be a settlement declare war option (presumably costing lots of bulk and gold) but who knows.
Bringslite
Decius
The purpose of the feud mechanics is to communicate to the system who is involved in the fight, extract a cost from the initiator, and determine what changes hands as a result of the conflict.

The only reason I see to restrict movement into or out of companies in a feud is if the cost to feud is based on the population of the feuding companies. I think that adjusting the cost after the fact is a better way of handling that. I'm well and truly confused about why anyone thinks it would be a good idea to prevent people from leaving a company while a feud is in progress; I can certainly understand wanting to prevent people from manipulating company size to reduce their cost.

Adjustments to how the holding warfare works might be warranted; I like the idea of a relatively cheap (if unopposed) way for a company to steal the current day's bulk resource production.

And to the OP: I still believe that knowingly taking advantage of a bug that makes a window longer than it should be is not acceptable gameplay. I think that everyone still playing is good enough that we don't need to define that edge any better than that.
Probably not worth quibbling about whether either side should be allowed to let members exit the companies. If someone knows they are the reason for or a primary target of a feud and they want to avoid that, they can just play as their Alt in another company if they like. So long as there are not future mechanics tied into neat things about specific character targets, what's the use?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Ravenlute
Traditionally, an attacker starts a siege at a certain day, the defender chooses the time period that the siege will start. This is a mechanic from other games. So a defender moving their PvP window is seen as a tactical decision based on their current player availability vs the attackers, not a cheat or exploit.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Duffy Swiftshadow
Except when it's suddenly changed mid attack to negate the attacker's ability to capture targets all together, which defeats a lot of the intent of setting up a specific preferred PvP window ahead of time for every single day in the first place. The intent was to cut down on timezone advantages, not make moving them around a defensive strategy.

This is an especially ideal tactic if the defender knows their probably going to lose, then the optimal strategy is to hop your window around to aggravate the attacker and minimize their ability to ever fight or capture their targets. In the meantime the defender can completely ignore or avoid the attacks.

Hopefully that sort of thing becomes less of a problem as the game grows and folks for different time zones can fill in, but it shouldn't be ignored either. The intent of the pvp windows was to let both sides fight under ideal conditions aka their prime time, not to avoid the fight in the first place.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Yeah…I will say constantly being able to change your pvp window mid feud is some ol bullshit. I say this as a defender who got most of my holdings razed after taking Dun Baile.

A lot of this settlement pvp weirdness happened with us too. Now Fianna was the founding company so we couldnt pull none of this settlement switching stuff even if we wanted. I was shocked when I found out that pvp windows could change mid feud. For settlement jumps mid feud and especially mid pvp window, i aint gonna debate whether it is a cheat or exploit but it doesnt matter. Its still a wimp out tactic IMO and a PR nightmare. It's a matter of just basic self respect to me.

We got our hokdings razed, we were outnumbered quite terribly, and we got our asses handed to us multiple nights, even when EoX fought us with even numbers. Even with all that we would never have thought to change settlements mid pvp window. You gotta buck up and take those nasty hits. It happens in games like this, its the nature of the beast and ya aint gonna do nothing about it. It aint like your settlements are actually under siege which is something I gotta be reminded of. Back when we first took it we were totally dependent on our allies being able to help get us those supplies and there was a much more credible threat of being starved out and the settlement being retaken depending on how things went.

Easy fix? Allow em to change it but it dont take effect until after one feud ends (should be the one that ends first in order to avoid the perma feud problem). Maybe do the same for companies switching settlements. That way if they get multi feuded they can improve their times for each remaining feud but still have to power through at least one. Couple that with a cooldown time and your gold.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Nihimon
I think PvP Window changes should have a significant lead time. Whatever the setting is when the servers come up Monday morning should be the setting that will take effect when the servers come up the following Monday, and should be publicly visible to anyone who looks for the entire week leading up to the change.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Bringslite
Nihimon
I think PvP Window changes should have a significant lead time. Whatever the setting is when the servers come up Monday morning should be the setting that will take effect when the servers come up the following Monday, and should be publicly visible to anyone who looks for the entire week leading up to the change.
Something like PVP window is X:xx now and will be Y:yy at server up on a/b/cdef?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post