Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Is zigzagging across hex lines an exploit?

Decius
You don't have to have to be "constantly ready". You only have to be ready when you're collecting evidence that someone is abusing an exploit.
Bringslite
I would bet that if such behavior is obvious and a recurring side in such battles were to politely suggest that they would "capture" evidence in future fights, that might help curb it a bit. As pointed out, the obvious best course is to make sure your soldiers know not to do it. Period.

We all know that humans are unpredictable, competitive(not liking to lose at PVP), and some % will always try to get around rules and restrictions. So, imperfect system = imperfect results.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
BlackMoria
As the saying goes, it 'takes two to tango'. Simply refuse to fight on the hex border and stick to that and your opponent must either come to you or give up trying to PvP you at that time and place. Avoid be drawn into a running battle towards a hex edge - if the opponent draws you that way, stand your ground. For a PvP battle to occur, both sides must agree to the time and place, even if it is an ad hoc decision based on happenstance, such as the enemy is here, I am here so let's fight. If even one side considers the ground for being near or on a hex boundary and make a positional move to keep the fight from the hex boundary, the enemy must follow suit if there is to be a fight. Otherwise, call it a day as there will be no fight if one side sticks to their guns to eschew the hex boundary.
Duffy Swiftshadow
BlackMoria
As the saying goes, it 'takes two to tango'. Simply refuse to fight on the hex border and stick to that and your opponent must either come to you or give up trying to PvP you at that time and place. Avoid be drawn into a running battle towards a hex edge - if the opponent draws you that way, stand your ground. For a PvP battle to occur, both sides must agree to the time and place, even if it is an ad hoc decision based on happenstance, such as the enemy is here, I am here so let's fight. If even one side considers the ground for being near or on a hex boundary and make a positional move to keep the fight from the hex boundary, the enemy must follow suit if there is to be a fight. Otherwise, call it a day as there will be no fight if one side sticks to their guns to eschew the hex boundary.

That only works in the case of both combatants trying to kill each other wherever they happen to stand at the moment. In the two major cases often brought up such a policy can result in some objective being lost/unachieved (mules or loot on the target in case of banditry/poaching) or loss of strategic positioning and opportunity (out maneuvering during holdings fights across multiple hexes) which can result in losing static objectives that aren't near hex borders. It is most definitely a problem and unfortunately hand waving isn't going to solve it. That said for now it's probably gonna be a scout's honor and occasional accusation, not much we can do about it in the immediate sense.
Decius
Fleeing pursuit necessarily crossed hex borders, but it takes a very special choice of path to cross the same border more than once while fleeing.

For that matter, the overlap is large enough that a standing fight centered on a vertex could happen without multiple crossings.
Nihimon
I was thinking the same things Duffy said, not to mention the fact that some players will simply get caught up in the PvP and not make the effort to see if they're on or near a hex border.

Speaking of, any chance we could get the hex borders to show up on the min-map?
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Bob
Nihimon
Speaking of, any chance we could get the hex borders to show up on the min-map?

I've had a feature request in for a while to look into that, just hasn't risen to the top of the priority list yet, or been something we could fix easily as long as we were already fixing something related.
Bringslite
If buffs and debuffs and the fact that they "drop" when crossing hex borders is difficult to figure out a way to fix, maybe looking at it from a different way might help. Current hit points are, in some ways, also a buff or debuff. They fluctuate according to damage taken and resolve themselves back to the "correct value" through each character's healing rate. Kind of like buffs and debuffs.

When I cross a hex boundary, any current hit point "damage" comes with me and remains healing at my normal rate according to natural automatic skills and gear. Maybe effects(buffs/debuffs) could be wired with some of whatever code gets current hps through that boundary too?
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bob
Bringslite
Maybe effects(buffs/debuffs) could be wired with some of whatever code gets current hps through that boundary too?

That's kind of what needs to be done. The problem isn't so much that it's tricky as that it's a bunch of different little bits of data that each need to have several things done to them separately, and that then require a bunch of testing to make sure they're done right. It's right toward the top of our list of things to do, but lately it's been losing out in favor of multiple smaller fixes that are also easier to test. Hopefully we'll be able to dedicate a chunk of time to this soon.
Wolf of Rathglen
The Mule exploited this way, but devs banned Toledo from the game really fast so good on them!
Hammerfall: Like a waterfall, but tougher.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post