Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

What were PFO's kickstarter goals?

Midnight
I was looking at the kickstarter for Dual Universe and I can't fathom how their goal can be as low as $500,000 for an MMO.

They have a staff of 25 and a completion goal of December 2018. Would staff work for a mere 10,000 a year? (I could see accepting that if they threw in shares of stock.)

What were PFO's kickstarter goals?
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Decius
It looks like the archived page doesn't show the goal. The funding goal was $1,000,000, and it was to accelerate development, not fund it.
Is the whole budget coming from this Kickstarter?

No. Most of the budget is being provided by our initial investors, but the money we're raising on Kickstarter is the difference between a 4 year development plan and a much faster, much larger plan.

Barring unforeseeable future complications we do not expect to have to raise additional funds or do additional Kickstarter projects after the successful completion of this project.
here, for context.

Dual Universe seems to be using the same "supplemental funding" strategy to add more features or as marketing. My guess after two minutes of research is that the founder of Novaquark is covering much of the development cost personally because it's going to be the game he wants.
Duffy Swiftshadow
The 2nd Kickstarter aimed for $1 mill and got $1,091,194.

There is little chance that $500k is the full expected budget even for their minimal feature set. That strikes me as supplemental funding or they have a promise of more funding if they can get a certain amount.
Midnight
@Decius

I hadn't considered the kickstarter as marketing idea. And a low goal there means you don't get embarrassed.

@Duffy

Yeah, after I posted this I clicked on their pre-alpha video and it looks further along than PFO. They are probably just wrapping things up and like Decius mentioned, using the kickstarter to kickstart the hype train.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Edam
The first PFO kickstarter was to fund a sort of proof of concept. Ironically the original game engine used for this was bought out and no longer available from the new owners so they had to switch the entire game to unity (and I would assume probably lost a lot of that early work as a result).

With the 2nd Kickstarter, my impression was PFO originally had reasonably secure investment funding promised and the 2nd PFO kickstarter was meant to just speed things along but somehow the wheels fell off that old original investment deal leaving the game soley dependant on the kickstarter money plus subs. As many EE players had multiple free months from the kickstarter this left things a bit precarious. The 2nd kickstarter was not intended to fund the game just supplement things.

My memory of what has been said about this is hazy so do not quote me I may have it all wrong.
Tyncale
As I understand it *some* funding fell through in the end, like 1 million out of their total budget of around 5 million, which was the reason for the freezing of the development. Even though we have had charts and graphs as to how all the money was spent, including the first 350k from the first KS, I still feel that not all of that money was well spent. Also, even with the extra million, this game was nowhere near ready for players, other then those starry-eyed Kickstart die-hards(us).

I was especially disappointed in what the 350k from the first KS produced, i.e. that little demo. Now they also used that 350k to set up office which added hugely to the initial running cost. I remember a picture of the new hardware they bought for the computers. The first KS to make the demo was supposed to bring in 100k, so the 350k was a huge bonus.

For all that money, all I ever saw was a tiny demo (indeed with an engine that they did not even use in the end) and a pile of new Hard disks.

Now I understand that you can not create a project like this on a few existing desktop computers, but the fact that Goblinworks had to be created from the ground up, including hardware, officespace and what not, sure must have been a killer for their budget.

If Newcorp takes over, and they come out to be a totally new start up too, showing pictures of newly purchased office-chairs, then I'm out.
Regalo Harnoncourt, Leader of the River Kingdoms Trading Company, High Council of Callambea.
This is the character that I am playing almost 100% of the time. (Tyncale is my Sage/Mage)
MidniteArrow
1 good software developer costs around $200k/yr.
Drakis [Arrodima] [Default Speaker] [PvE Soldier, Empyrean Legion ]
Nijah [Arrodima] [Leader, The Argent Defenders, PvE]
Jinh [Arrodima] [Leader, The Concordian Council]
Duffy Swiftshadow
MidniteArrow

Yeaaa typical Game Devs don't make that much…
Edam
Duffy Swiftshadow
MidniteArrow

Costs is not makes.

You have to add in super and insurance and other taxes and an office and licencing for their dev tools and non dev support staff costs and all sorts of other costs.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Edam
Duffy Swiftshadow
MidniteArrow

Costs is not makes.

You have to add in super and insurance and other taxes and an office and licencing for their dev tools and non dev support staff costs and all sorts of other costs.

Touche, was thinking he was talking Salary.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post