Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Myth or History: Alpha Aristocracy

Duffy Swiftshadow
Bringslite
Trying to think of original leadership structures that still exist unchanged, even as low as single settlement point of view and still active in the most generous sense of the term…. These are guesses: Canis Castrum, Keeper's Pass, Phaeros, Emerald Lodge,…

I'm not even sure that those are all correct. My apologies if any are overlooked.

While a few people are still around from Canis' early days technically the original leadership is long gone though they were barely in game at the start of EE, Omni lingered via the forums for a long while but eventually stopped even doing that. It's more of a shared entity nowadays. Sunholm has changed 'stewardship' like three times now I think.

However, of the original League settlements Hope's End has not changed hands or leadership while maintaining most of the same core group of veterans to this day, with a few additions that arrived later.
Midnight
A lot of the Outlaw Council issue was discussed in detail in this thread about player bans:

https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/1787/?page=4#post-55312

I started at page 4 because previous pages were about earlier player bans.

It basically comes down to GW finds them useful, regardless of what we think. The players involved mostly defend them. Some other players think they are a mistake that can lead to suspicions of how members use their early knowledge or position of trust.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
WxCougar of KOTC
Edam
Though I was not actually around at the time I believe Keepers Pass was originally formed by an EVE group combined with a bunch of Italian players all of whom left before EE.

In our part of the map KP, Emerald Lodge and Phaeros seem to have original EE leaders while Hammerfall, Blackwood Glade, Sylva and Brighthaven seem to have changed hands (though Brighthaven is still a TEO settlement).

Keeper's Pass was formed by Keepers of the Circle, a tabletop group from the US with a cool concept taken from their current party make up. None of those players ever made it into Alpha sadly. Our first round of elections had myself as leader since the previous assigned leader was very busy with real life.
Keeper's Pass (NG) - Respecting life, protecting freedom, united against tyranny. We are a Crafting Settlement with friendly people and welcome many play styles including casual and Role playing. For more information check our Traveler's Guide to Keeper's Pass at https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/109/. If you wish to join with us in Keeper's Pass come visit us at our website at http://www.kotcguild.com/.
Ravenlute
Quick point, those settlement representatives of the Outlaw Council were just that, representatives. Not all were settlement owners, they were chosen by the settlement to represent them at the meetings. Bringslite even mentions it in his post 3 down from the one Midnight just linked.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Midnight
And it still comes down to an Alpha Aristocracy selecting who attends. The aristocracy may not always be the Sovereign, sometimes it is a prince or even a regent.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Decius
Midnight
And it still comes down to an Alpha Aristocracy selecting who attends. The aristocracy may not always be the Sovereign, sometimes it is a prince or even a regent.
What would the be the alternative to influential players being influential? Even with as few as about 100 members, the Outlaw council allowing every settlement leader to have a voice at the table is going to be a challenge.
Edam
At one stage people even seemed to be arguing that every new player with a couple of mates and some alts should be able to rock up and within a month or two of first signing up acquire (or capture) a settlement which is just nonsensical once you get 10,000 or more players.

Nor would many of these supposed new players probably actually want a settlement once they acquired one as it is an awful lot of work for minimal benefit, especially now all settlements support training to 20, you can affiliate your company with any settlement on the map and train anywhere.

Midnight
Decius
Midnight
What would the be the alternative to influential players being influential? Even with as few as about 100 members, the Outlaw council allowing every settlement leader to have a voice at the table is going to be a challenge.

Whether the next 10,000 players rails against the Alpha Aristocracy, the Beta Baronies, or the Early Oligarchy what I predict is they won't approve of anything that gives the influential/powerful players preceding them even more influence and power and that they will be distrustful of exclusive meetings behind closed doors with the devs.

Do you want to argue that those 10,000 players will embrace giving the Early Oligarchy even more power and influence?

Do you want to argue that those 10,000 players will embrace being excluded from meetings with the devs?

I totally get that the devs will do whatever they find easiest for them. I'm just saying it's the path to player distrust and dissatisfaction and the grumbling you hear now is nothing compared to what you'll hear then.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
Edam
At one stage people even seemed to be arguing that every new player with a couple of mates and some alts should be able to rock up and within a month or two of first signing up acquire (or capture) a settlement which is just nonsensical once you get 10,000 or more players.

Nor would many of these supposed new players probably actually want a settlement once they acquired one as it is an awful lot of work for minimal benefit, especially now all settlements support training to 20, you can affiliate your company with any settlement on the map and train anywhere.

Considering how many settlements were captured by players with zero time in game during the landrush, those one and 2 month old characters are practically ENTITLED to settlements. smile smile smile smile smile smile smile

OK, seriously though…

What you heard is that folks with no greater support than Thornkeep support need to be able to operate EE12's siege machines. While that lets players a month or two into the game participate, it also guarantees that refugees from previous sieges will have a viable path back into the settlement game… as well as a viable path to exert the vengeance that makes any proper sandbox a game of meaningful choices.
-Edmund Burke
You are a Troll
smile

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post