Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Myth or History: Alpha Aristocracy

Wolf of Rathglen
PFO's are like the British aristocracy: Even if they did have more resources or position at some point in history, that was hundreds of years ago and these days they live among everyone else making it through the same ways as everyone else, their titles and privileges mere stories to blog about for those interested in the fantasy of it.

The Outlaw Council last I saw was not involved in game design or a Crowdforging Supergroup, they handled the political squabbles of whoever was playing the game. It's been a long-held lament the only way to know you "won" a war is when the other side quits the game, which is actually bad for the game. The Outlaw Council was to handle the fallout from personality clashes and petty accusations that tended to fly around before those quitstorms, and nothing to do with the actual coding going into the game.

At least that was my impression. I played in alpha (Approximate Sin) but I've never led a metagroup or company let alone a settlement nor been to the backroom deals where KS backers hand stacks of cash to GW for personalized game code nor been to an Outlaw Council.
Hammerfall: Like a waterfall, but tougher.
kandorius
Early Oligarchy - I like that Midnight!

Lets see, out of ALL the settlements awarded during the Land Rush for free, I think almost all of them are still under the control of either the AA or people who were around and part of the leadership structure of those settlements from the very beginning.

BHA - Fierywind (AA) & Drogon (EO)
Brighthaven
Hammerfall
Blackwoodglade
Everwatch
Concordia

Dominion - Howard (AA) & Bringslite (AA)
Ozem's Vigil
Alderwag
Staalgard
Caer Coedwig
Forgeholm (yes, run by the Dwarves, and despite some being MIA, mostly controlled by same people as always AussieDwarf et al)

HRC (now part of Dominion) - Cal (AA), Takasi (AA, now banned for duping), Mistwalker (AA or EO), Azure Zero (AA)
Talonguard
Tavernhold
Coerbernik
Vegg Torr
High Road

Aeonian League Duffy (AA)
Hope's End
Canis Castrum
Sunholm
Marketstead
Corvus Citadel
Hangman's Hollow
Sylva (run by Thorgrim who is AA or EO)
Greystone Keep (not sure about this one, but think it is Phaeros EO people who fled the Phaeros and the forever war)

Phaeros - Decius (AA) & Nihimon (AA)

Keepers of the Pass - Edam (EO) & Cougar (AA/EO)

Emerald Lodge - Thod (AA)

PFU - gifted to Hoffman by the Devs - Hoffman (AA), Garric (AA or EO)

Aragon - Kenton Stone (AA)

Callambea - Quijenoth Starkiller (AA or EO)

Golgotha and Keurz Berstein are still under the control of EoX who are either sleeping or gone, either way they are part of the AA.

Soooooo….

That leaves exactly Mediash and Dun Baille as settlements not under the control of the Alph Aristocracy or a close proxy, and I could be mistaken about Mediash. Seems the AA is alive and well and in full control of the entire map, and now they want their private meetings to start up again. I say shove it.
Garric Orcsbane
kandorius
Early Oligarchy - I like that Midnight!
PFU - gifted to Hoffman by the Devs - Hoffman (AA), Garric (AA or EO)

You are incorrect. Hoffman bought Riverbank from it's original owner. PFU moved from Riverbank to UC at Goblinworks request. There was no gift about it. We would have been quite happy to stay down in Riverbank. An aside, i'm just an Officer, not a Leader and was not in Alpha.
Bringslite
Kandorius,

Wrong on your counts for The Dominion or I suppose Ozem's Vigil. I was around before Alpha started and got to play a little during, as did everyone, but I was not a leader AT the start or until some time into EE. Howard came AFTER I did. I will not speak for other settlements in The Dominion(which is also totally new), but you are wrong there too.

Not that I would be ashamed to have been around and leading back then, but fact is facts.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
kandorius
kandorius
Lets see, out of ALL the settlements awarded during the Land Rush for free, I think almost all of them are still under the control of either the AA or people who were around and part of the leadership structure of those settlements from the very beginning.

Don't try to weasel out of your AA/EO privileged position BL. You were Ozem's champion from before the game even started.
Bringslite
kandorius
kandorius

Don't try to weasel out of your AA/EO privileged position BL. You were Ozem's champion from before the game even started.

Weasle? That is certainly not very nice. Out of what? Facts is facts. I do not consider it a bad thing to be part of a group that has survived intact so long at all.

It has become a bit of a trend for Indie Devs to have close and "transparent" relationships with their communities. That causes a bit of envy, jealousy, and I suppose the root: Fear of Unfair Advantage. I don't really grasp how the old Outlaw Council and it's 2 or was it 3 total meetings? did much damage or got anything much accomplished either. Maybe that's why there haven't been any since? As long as they at least represent all of the current settlements and a few wildcards, what is the harm, except silly, petty jealousy? If you have real things that need to be said "there" then ask your Settlement govt to let you go or send them with notes. If they won't Rep you proper… shop for a new home.

Does anyone really think that such a "touching of bases" like that can be well accomplished with a live and participating OPEN numbers audience? For the broader view and every single person's chance to speak their mind, concerns and ideas, we have this right HERE. This forum. Much more manageable than hundreds on Mumble at the same time.

I do have some concerns about how large chunks of new players can integrate into the game with the political set up and distribution that we have right now

Edit: One more thing. If I do have any advantage, I suppose that I have earned it tenfold for supporting the game before it was a game, both financially and content wise. That is called Early Enrollment, or Jumpstart, or something these days. Where I am now, though Mister Bitter, is the product of hard work in-game for many, many months.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
You know what I think might be a nice idea? Have some completely random participant "Outlaw Council" meetings. A random selection of players that get to talk for an hour here and there with the Dev team about their concerns or issues.

It isn't as if it is some special privilege that I feel needs protection and the majority excluded from. Nothing much came of any of them anyway. The same bottom line problem existed: Some people wanted to talk about having options for body types in character creation. Some wanted Upgraded grass/graphics. Some wanted to complain that they could not conquer their enemies in a right proper fashion. Some wanted to talk about pets and having that become real. At least similar things along those lines. There still were not resources to make ANY OF THAT happen. Little of substance was ever discussed or concluded unanimously that would "save the game" immediately, unfortunately.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Decius
Of course the players who have put in lots of effort over four years will be in positions of leadership.

Once the vacant settlement slots open up, most the duchies that end up emerging will likely be under the effective control of someone who has been playing for a long time on the political scale, like the existing effective duchies are.

But land for holdings is not scarce. Anyone who has enough influence to put one up can, and holding and outpost kits would be for sale if anyone was buying.
Caldeathe Baequiannia
kandorius

First off, it's easy to lose sight of the fact that Early Enrollment should have been over 9 months or more ago. Had they had the expected resources, development would have put those settlements in jeopardy in 2015. They would also have implemented the promised charters that were supposed to be a contract that specified exactly how much authority any leaders had over the players. Any remnants of power the pre-game players have is an anomaly of a broken development cycle, not the intended outcome.

Not sure of the exact nature of the crime some of us have supposedly committed by being around since Early Enrollment and giving PFO our time, energy, and money, but you're clearly wrong about the part I bolded. Just speaking for the ones of which I have some direct knowledge.

Staalgard - Blackfeather Keep got annoyed and left. Takasi (who wasn't a leader until EE started) bought the leadership account, then when he got banned, someone from the Dominion took it over. I doubt they had anything to do with the group that was there, let alone being in leadership.

Caer Coedwig - Guardheim was originally under the control of a group from Germany that never turned up to play. None of the current leaders who took it over six months into the game had anything to do with that group. I don't think Howard was even a leader at Ozem's Vigil when EE started.

Talonguard - Magistry might still come back, but there's been no sign of them. Azure asked if he could take over. He left the game after the Brighthaven massacre and turned it over to Daer, who was not around in Alpha, wasn't from Talonguard originally, and was never in leadership of any other settlement as far as I know

Tavernhold - Ravenlute is the active leader at Tavernhold, and he moved there after being kicked out by whoever had control of Freevale before it became Mediaash. A couple of the original leaders are still in contact, but not playing as far as I know.

Corbenik - Hammerforge either never showed up or left early, Azure took it and built it from scratch so that magistry could have a home if they decided to play, then when he unsubscribed he turned it over to folks from Dun Baile. He never had any connection with the original group that had it. No-one from Dun Baile was there at the start of EE

Veggr Torr - The Australians sold it to clan Muagrimor, who abandoned it and Jokken took it over. As far as I know, he had no leadership role of any kind with any settlement before Early Enrollment, let alone with the original group.

High Road - Mistwalker took it over from kabal gaming when they stopped showing up. He was never a settlement leader before taking it and his entire participation in the landrush and alpha was voting for Ozem's Vigil.

Of those seven, at least five are controlled by people who are neither "AA" nor original leaders in those or any other settlements. The other two are debatable because it's possible Ravenlute was a leader at Tavernhold on opening day, and I am in theory part of the team that runs Caer Coedwig, though after I left Ozem's Vigil I wasn't a leader in any settlement between February and August of last year when the Irregulars took the settlement though a painful mix of diplomacy and capture. I also managed to completely give my stake in it away for an entire month last fall, before a new player (with whom I'd used it as enticement to draw in) left the game.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Midnight
Mediash and Dun Baille. I'm under the impression that neither captured their settlement as an unassociated company (with the 23/7 PvP window that comes with that status). Dun Baille had, at the very least, the sufferance of Aragon and admit to some help from Aragon on structures. I like Aragon, but (like the settlement I belong to) they're technically the Alpha Aristocracy.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post