Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Myth or History: Alpha Aristocracy

Bringslite
Midnight
Mediash and Dun Baille. I'm under the impression that neither captured their settlement as an unassociated company (with the 23/7 PvP window that comes with that status). Dun Baille had, at the very least, the sufferance of Aragon and admit to some help from Aragon on structures. I like Aragon, but (like the settlement I belong to) they're technically the Alpha Aristocracy.

Don't be purposely obtuse. The phrase "Alpha Aristocracy" is a term that stuck because a few people responded to it with knee-jerk reflexes, assuming that they were being classed as having unfair advantage. Throwing it around just to cause a ruckus is silly. If the definition are those participants of the kickstarters that still play… or people that joined during the first few months of EE for "Alpha Aristocracy", regardless of leadership status then-tween time-now, then Flarff!

Head Start, Early Enrollment, Kickstarter Perks are not new things in the Universe. They are not unique to PfO. If you or anyone feels that there is some "unfair advantage" gained by those systems and it is wrong, get to your character select screen and try to find a way to delete 1/2 of your Destiny Twins.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Bringslite
Midnight
Mediash and Dun Baille. 1. I'm under the impression that neither captured their settlement as an unassociated company (with the 23/7 PvP window that comes with that status). Dun Baille had, at the very least, the sufferance of Aragon and admit to some help from Aragon on structures. 2. I like Aragon, but (like the settlement I belong to) they're technically the Alpha Aristocracy.

1. There is no such thing possible.
2. See my post above
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
Bringslite
Midnight
Mediash and Dun Baille. I'm under the impression that neither captured their settlement as an unassociated company (with the 23/7 PvP window that comes with that status). Dun Baille had, at the very least, the sufferance of Aragon and admit to some help from Aragon on structures. I like Aragon, but (like the settlement I belong to) they're technically the Alpha Aristocracy.

Don't be purposely obtuse. The phrase "Alpha Aristocracy" is a term that stuck because a few people responded to it with knee-jerk reflexes, assuming that they were being classed as having unfair advantage. Throwing it around just to cause a ruckus is silly. If the definition are those participants of the kickstarters that still play… or people that joined during the first few months of EE for "Alpha Aristocracy", regardless of leadership status then-tween time-now, then Flarff!

Head Start, Early Enrollment, Kickstarter Perks are not new things in the Universe. They are not unique to PfO. If you or anyone feels that there is some "unfair advantage" gained by those systems and it is wrong, get to your character select screen and try to find a way to delete 1/2 of your Destiny Twins.

I have no Destiny Twins, and I'm well aware I'm arguing against some of my own advantages and my own settlement(s)' advantages when I suggest that 10,000 new players won't want to give the A.A. additional influence and power.

Whether our advantage is "unfair" is debatable. I just don't see an upside for the long term health of the game when some process CONTINUES or INCREASES those advantages. The original coining of the term A.A. was by latecomers who weren't enjoying their treatment at the hands of those in power. I'm just suggesting that when you get 10,000 new players you'll see MORE of that, based on our history.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
Bringslite
Midnight
Mediash and Dun Baille. 1. I'm under the impression that neither captured their settlement as an unassociated company (with the 23/7 PvP window that comes with that status). Dun Baille had, at the very least, the sufferance of Aragon and admit to some help from Aragon on structures. 2. I like Aragon, but (like the settlement I belong to) they're technically the Alpha Aristocracy.

2. See my post above

Why is it impossible to capture a settlement as an unassociated company? And if it is, isn't that a PROBLEM?
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Edam
Edam is not actually a Leader of Keepers Pass, he is just a minor officer in charge of things clerical.

He just happens to be very noisy and good at stirring up trouble on the forums.

As far as the currently mythical new players if you reset everything they just become the new Alpha Aristocracy that later players bitch and whine about. Unless you have a game that resets every 12 months or is pay to win there is no way around that.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Ya know, watching a whole bunch of alpha players arguing over who has to check their alpha privilege the most is literally like watching a room full of wealthy CEOs calling each other the top one percent of the one percent that are ruining their country.

Just sayin…
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Bringslite
Midnight
Bringslite
Midnight

2. See my post above

Why is it impossible to capture a settlement as an unassociated company? And if it is, isn't that a PROBLEM?
Of course it's a problem but because there aren't any groups that fit that description it isn't a priority right now.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Midnight
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Ya know, watching a whole bunch of alpha players arguing over who has to check their alpha privilege the most is literally like watching a room full of wealthy CEOs calling each other the top one percent of the one percent that are ruining their country.

Just sayin…

I find it refreshing when a one percenter looks at what is best for everyone in the long term.

In gaming, no one has to choose PFO or stay in PFO, so if latecomers (or those who care about latecomers because we want our friends to play) don't like what they see, PFO will continue to be the world's smallest MMO.
-Edmund Burke
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Ok, seriously how is this thread still a thing? I honestly cannot think of a more ivory tower privileged thing to do than to sit from some lofty perch and pontificate how alpha everyone supposedly is or is not.

Now since apparently Dun Baile and the whole Kathalpas Coalition is being used as a javelin that everyone else lobs at each other during their own arguments (and apparently we have the only New Money settlement leaders according to what some of you guys are saying), I am gonna say a few things here…

So going back to this outlaw council thing, do the people who go to these things have any actual power? Are these outlaw council things positions of power or influence? If not (and I cant see how they can be unless we are gonna go full tinfoil hat), then who gives a shit?

Second, based on how much I have seen our allies in Aragon sacrifice and at times seriously struggle to get stuff up for us and Mediash and all the hell we went through, I have a hard time believing that any of the alpha players in our alliance would be considered "aristocracy" in any meaningful sense of the word. We never were one of the big boys (still nowhere close), we aint the got the most soliders, we aint anywhere near as wealthy as ANY of the other blocs here, we never had many settlements, a fair number of our characters came later on in the game and we also dont have nesrly as much of a massive stockpile of gear and mats that the big boys do.

So yeah…yall should look at yourselves first before doing any more of these ivory tower pontifications.
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Now look there are legit criticisms of the game which allow for such a problem to actually exist. The reason is because of one thing:

In the current game mechanics, a player cannot exist outside of a settlement, period.

This is a MAJOR flaw that needs to be fixed. That is the reason you will never see an unsponsored company take over a settlement, cause due to this incomplete support mechanic it is impossible.

That is not a fault of anyone here, we had no control as to whether the game had this or not. We didnt do this and are not responsible for that. If like me, you want to see that changed then the best thing to do is push for the damn mechanics to change.

Now what does aggravate me is people who have advocated AGAINST making those fixes (and those defenders have at various times come from people who have defended or attacked the Alpha Aristocracy in the past). The mechanics that allow the old guard to remain immortal is not any of the players fault. The only thing we can fault any player for is if anyone tries to campaign against fixing those mechanics.
Find us on PFO Discord

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post