Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Myth or History: Alpha Aristocracy

Paddy Fitzpatrick
Midnight
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Ya know, watching a whole bunch of alpha players arguing over who has to check their alpha privilege the most is literally like watching a room full of wealthy CEOs calling each other the top one percent of the one percent that are ruining their country.

Just sayin…

I find it refreshing when a one percenter looks at what is best for everyone in the long term.

In gaming, no one has to choose PFO or stay in PFO, so if latecomers (or those who care about latecomers because we want our friends to play) don't like what they see, PFO will continue to be the world's smallest MMO.

There are already smaller onea currently out there btw believe it or not smile
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Udo
It seems like people are making a big thing out of no thing. "Freevale" was not an easy take and we met with resistance, so there was nothing free about it. Udo is the main leader of the now named Mediash settlement and I handle all aspects of structure building and maintenance with the help and assistance of not only people who I knew in game but also many different companies/ settlements I worked with via trades/ structure purchasing, etc…. I am not part of the AA, but I am part of the EEA (Early Enrollment Aristrocracy) so there is that.

Regarding the other Settlements being listed, I see these posts screaming about how the settlements are still being led by people in the so called AA. INS'T THAT THE POINT??!!?? LONGESVITY IN HTE GAME??!! I applaud those who have stayed in the game and maintained leadership and defended their territory. Kudos to ALL of you. If you want to change it, do it within game parameters. Get some guys, form a company, get influence, build holdings/ outposts, surround a Hex, Defend your structures, call Bob, and take a damn hex already.

Peace out.
“Those who surrender Freedom for Security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one”
-B Franklin
Suave
Careful what you wish for Udo, or soon we may see an Eggtopia sprout up on the map…
Edam
Suave
Careful what you wish for Udo, or soon we may see an Eggtopia sprout up on the map…

lol .. I like Egg he is like a less annoying Tink
At a meta-level this discussion is really about whether we want a skirmish game or a territorial conquest game. The original proposal was very much in the territorial conquest vain but due to player pressure some concessions have been made including toning down influence and all settlements giving level 20 support to training not just bigger ones.

There is pressure both ways. Some people want settlements to be able to claim monster hexes and have a game mechanic that enforces that claim, other people want non-settlement companies to be equivalent to settlement based ones.

It is not these individual changes that are the real issue it is how focused on settlement/alliance combat versus skirmish small gang that is the real issue
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Suave

I for one welcome our new Eggtopian Overlords!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Ok, seriously how is this thread still a thing? I honestly cannot think of a more ivory tower privileged thing to do than to sit from some lofty perch and pontificate how alpha everyone supposedly is or is not.
So you're surprised that when a deliberately constructed derogatory term catches on, human beings want to argue over whether it should apply to them or not?
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Edam
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Ok, seriously how is this thread still a thing? I honestly cannot think of a more ivory tower privileged thing to do than to sit from some lofty perch and pontificate how alpha everyone supposedly is or is not.
So you're surprised that when a deliberately constructed derogatory term catches on, human beings want to argue over whether it should apply to them or not?

I think its more that derogatory terms become badges of honor smile

Yuppies and sloane were originally real world terms meant to be derogatory that eventually became things people aspired to become. Here in Australia the term "bogan" was originally derogatory but many people are now proud of their "bogan" status.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Was I shocked? Nah.

Were there legit concerns? Sure.

Did that make the arguments any less dumb? Not really.

smile
Find us on PFO Discord
Caldeathe Baequiannia
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Was I shocked? Nah.
Were there legit concerns? Sure.
Did that make the arguments any less dumb? Not really.
Another point of view:

Terms: "ivory tower privileged" "lofty perch" "pontificate"

Turning "surprised" people argued about it into "shocked."

Calling people "dumb" for being unhappy about having those terms (in addition to the original derogatory one) applied to them.

I know I, for one, am thrilled to be pontificating from my lofty tower perch in the game where I spent hundreds of dollars for prety-much nothing but some leftover resentment. My Ivory tower Pathfinder Online Privileges, such as being able to set the training level in a mostly empty game construct, or desperately hoping a new player would wander by my nest and decide to stay, consoled me daily. You missed the part where I bathed in bulk goods every night to keep my skin soft.
To reach me, email d20rpg@gmail.com
Bringslite
Be careful Paddy! Your high flying Cloud Chair of Tower Topic Adjudication that looks down on our Pontificating Platform is sagging on one side. That could cause Spiraling Descent Syndrome.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post