Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Myth or History: Alpha Aristocracy

Ravenlute
Whatev. It's pretty obvious that kandorius (if that is their real name!) is just wrong on so many levels. I don't think it's from stupidity or venom, just ignorance.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Craigellachie
Harad Navar
Longevity does not a leader make.
What does spending 2 hours and 18 minutes a week for 31 weeks convincing mules to jump over twigs so you can get your bulk goods home make you? (technically my best time, not the average)

Alandur
Being a settlement leader is more of a chore than anything else.
That's crazy talk.
Bringslite
Meh. Kandorius is allowed his opinion. I just wish that it wasn't delivered with venom because quite simply, that only draws venom in return. No matter what you do, someone somewhere isn't going to like it at all.

I do know that if I wanted a controllable/workable "bull session" with my player base, I would look for those that have been around for some long time and have real ideas about what is right and wrong with my game. I would, I suppose, sprinkle in some brand new voices to get their fresh perspective as well. Definitely I would want the size manageable if it was planned as an open discussion.

Most of us here have signed off on some kind of restart/wipe if it would help the game and we were somehow compensated for that agony. Even more than a few settlement leaders have voiced tentative "ok's" with conditional wordage. The quiet guy; the one that you don't hear from much; he who plays very regularly and just piles things up would have the most to lose in that situation.

Still not convinced that it would make all that much difference: Wiping to cleanse the "Alpha Aristocracy"(or The Perceived Super Advantaged) I mean. Not at least in placating the type of player that will not play unless he can feel he has to start with less than those who started first have. That is just a cycle for which there is never an end.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Edam
Bringslite
Still not convinced that it would make all that much difference: Wiping to cleanse the "Alpha Aristocracy"(or The Perceived Super Advantaged) I mean. Not at least in placating the type of player that will not play unless he can feel he has to start with less than those who started first have. That is just a cycle for which there is never an end.

Exactly. at whatever point you reset you are going to get players 12 months later who want to be special snowflakes complaining they are disadvantaged. Any non-resetting game has that issue. Before you could buy SP with cash EVE got continual forum threadnauts about unfair 10 year old veterans being overpowered - even though virtually none of the 10 year vets still playing ever undock.

In PFO recently a batch of new players (the infamous "egg" of T3 escalation stealing fame is one example) have shown that you do not need to be a day one player to become well known and have a substantial influence.
Ravenlute
Oh, agreed. Wiping just to reset characters is silly in a game like this. I could see it for technical reasons though, changing to a new engine or altering programs in such a way that it would just be best for the game to start over. I may not like it but I am prepared for such an event.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Yeah I was originally thinking about a soft wipe, more wiping bulk resources and stuff like that at some point rather than a complete server reset. Only time I think it should be conaidered now is if one faction winds up monopolizing the entire server before the game reaches full release. In that case it dont matter if it came from an alpha fsction or a later one, at this point a one faction server would be the final death knell and even then I would only say wipe if there is no other way to break up the monopoly or make them mortal again.

Even with that I kind of backed off of my prior stance. Even if one group were to dominate or assimilate all others into themselves at this stage and all settlements belonged to them I wouod consider it s measure of absolute last resort.

The only other thing is if the game mechanics and engine changes so much that it is a completely different game. In that case it makes sense.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Edam
Wiping the bulks will just upset the people that have devoted 20 or more hours a week to running around with mules for a year.

If the current stockpiles of bulk is a GENUINE issue (not sure that it is as among other things its relatively easy to trade for bulk if you are short any type, even at a profit if you do the mule running) a better solution is simply rebalance the outputs and settlement/holding charges to a higher level so current stocks equal 6 months supply instead of 10 years. That will achieve the same results as a wipe without all the negativity.
Midnight
Bringslite
I do know that if I wanted a controllable/workable "bull session" with my player base, I would look for those that have been around for some long time and have real ideas about what is right and wrong with my game. I would, I suppose, sprinkle in some brand new voices to get their fresh perspective as well. Definitely I would want the size manageable if it was planned as an open discussion.

The last Outlaw Council meeting (about the bannable duping behavior) was held privately even though the entire playerbase of this game is incredibly small.

Anytime you want to limit the audience size to keep things manageable, just make it a requirement that only those who have logged in this week can attend.

only 1/2 smile
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Decius
If there are any genuine issues that actually create a major barrier to getting and retaining new players, fix them. Features core to the design of PFO are not barriers to getting new players of PFO, although they might mean that the market is smaller than expected.
Lifedragn
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Yeah I was originally thinking about a soft wipe, more wiping bulk resources and stuff like that at some point rather than a complete server reset. Only time I think it should be conaidered now is if one faction winds up monopolizing the entire server before the game reaches full release. In that case it dont matter if it came from an alpha fsction or a later one, at this point a one faction server would be the final death knell and even then I would only say wipe if there is no other way to break up the monopoly or make them mortal again.

Even with that I kind of backed off of my prior stance. Even if one group were to dominate or assimilate all others into themselves at this stage and all settlements belonged to them I wouod consider it s measure of absolute last resort.

The only other thing is if the game mechanics and engine changes so much that it is a completely different game. In that case it makes sense.

My suggestion has always been to add Resource Tiers. High level settlements will require X T1, Y T2, and Z T3 resources. At this point, outposts would immediately be updated to produce T2 and T3 resources at certain + levels to establish a new balance. Then we add a refinement ability to convert resources up-tier. This conversion process would hopefully help get high level settlements with years worth of resources to now have a couple of months worth of resources post-refinement. Still an edge, but not a reserve where they could withstand an indefinite siege.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post