Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Myth or History: Alpha Aristocracy

Decius
Lifedragn
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Yeah I was originally thinking about a soft wipe, more wiping bulk resources and stuff like that at some point rather than a complete server reset. Only time I think it should be conaidered now is if one faction winds up monopolizing the entire server before the game reaches full release. In that case it dont matter if it came from an alpha fsction or a later one, at this point a one faction server would be the final death knell and even then I would only say wipe if there is no other way to break up the monopoly or make them mortal again.

Even with that I kind of backed off of my prior stance. Even if one group were to dominate or assimilate all others into themselves at this stage and all settlements belonged to them I wouod consider it s measure of absolute last resort.

The only other thing is if the game mechanics and engine changes so much that it is a completely different game. In that case it makes sense.

My suggestion has always been to add Resource Tiers. High level settlements will require X T1, Y T2, and Z T3 resources. At this point, outposts would immediately be updated to produce T2 and T3 resources at certain + levels to establish a new balance. Then we add a refinement ability to convert resources up-tier. This conversion process would hopefully help get high level settlements with years worth of resources to now have a couple of months worth of resources post-refinement. Still an edge, but not a reserve where they could withstand an indefinite siege.
Are you suggesting adding tiers of bulk resource? That sounds like it would get unwieldy very quickly just from the 15 resources.

Some kind of tiered system could work, but I can't find a good way to create a marginal benefit for having the t3 bulk goods that is consistent with them being globally scarce.

Complicated ideas about support are arising as a result though. I'll refine those.
Bringslite
Good. Finally wandered into another topic!

My 2c on this would be to "de" complicate everything to do with settlement mechanics and management. I would rather see it get simplified than stay as is or get more complex. The focus for future work/design should be on the everyday player's behalf and for their benefit, IMO.
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Decius
Bringslite

My 2c on this would be to "de" complicate everything to do with settlement mechanics and management. I would rather see it get simplified than stay as is or get more complex. The focus for future work/design should be on the everyday player's behalf and for their benefit, IMO.
Choices should be more meaningful than they currently are. That means some of the redundant complexity should be cut and some of the simplicity should be cut.
Midnight
A silly idea to take some bulk goods out of circulation:

Devs create a cute eye candy pet. Each Saturday the person to bid the highest number of Bulk Goods gets the pet. Players can put the pets on the auction house for coin or use/give/trade the pet.

He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Bringslite
Decius
Bringslite

Choices should be more meaningful than they currently are. That means some of the redundant complexity should be cut and some of the simplicity should be cut.
So let's assume that a great deal of coding for settlement mechanics, tools and even "under the hood" algorithms have not been done yet. IMO, it could all be done(meaningful choices, diminishing returns, alliances, war, all of it) in a much less convoluted math heavy way and still get us what we want for those things. Essentially though, some serious focus needs to be made to make the game more appealing to the average Jane player. Grab them with compelling things to do right from the start. Some story and some little bit of "random" stuff: gushers, side adventures, PVP, low scale war maybe, temp cave systems or dungeons, etc… That does not include ferrying Bulk Materials to and fro…
Virtute et Armis
-Unknown
Ravenlute
Midnight

Devs create a cute eye candy pet. Each Saturday the person to bid the highest number of Bulk Goods gets the pet. Players can put the pets on the auction house for coin or use/give/trade the pet.

Since Bulk Resources are a Company resource and not an individual one, that would cause some issues.
Myl - Herald of Stone Bear Clan (Tavernhold)
"You can walk into Tavernhold but a horse will have to carry you out."
Midnight
Ravenlute
Midnight

Since Bulk Resources are a Company resource and not an individual one, that would cause some issues.

Indeed. smile

Throw in the fact that much of them are probably in Settlement Storage…

But I realized my idea is even sillier than I first thought because any dev effort towards pets is better spent generating revenue.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Lifedragn
Decius
Lifedragn
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Yeah I was originally thinking about a soft wipe, more wiping bulk resources and stuff like that at some point rather than a complete server reset. Only time I think it should be conaidered now is if one faction winds up monopolizing the entire server before the game reaches full release. In that case it dont matter if it came from an alpha fsction or a later one, at this point a one faction server would be the final death knell and even then I would only say wipe if there is no other way to break up the monopoly or make them mortal again.

Even with that I kind of backed off of my prior stance. Even if one group were to dominate or assimilate all others into themselves at this stage and all settlements belonged to them I wouod consider it s measure of absolute last resort.

The only other thing is if the game mechanics and engine changes so much that it is a completely different game. In that case it makes sense.

My suggestion has always been to add Resource Tiers. High level settlements will require X T1, Y T2, and Z T3 resources. At this point, outposts would immediately be updated to produce T2 and T3 resources at certain + levels to establish a new balance. Then we add a refinement ability to convert resources up-tier. This conversion process would hopefully help get high level settlements with years worth of resources to now have a couple of months worth of resources post-refinement. Still an edge, but not a reserve where they could withstand an indefinite siege.
Are you suggesting adding tiers of bulk resource? That sounds like it would get unwieldy very quickly just from the 15 resources.

Some kind of tiered system could work, but I can't find a good way to create a marginal benefit for having the t3 bulk goods that is consistent with them being globally scarce.

Complicated ideas about support are arising as a result though. I'll refine those.

I never claimed that T3 Bulk Goods would need to be globally scarce compared to T2 or T1. Fewer will be produced, as you need max level Holdings to get them. This makes them available, but requires significant Influence investment per hex to harvest it. Or you would use the refinement process to convert up lower tiers, providing two avenues of acquisition. Up-conversion would be expensive, requiring substantial lower tier resources to do so.

Overall, it would help add pressure for claiming and building territory tall over wide. Large companies would have narrower holdings producing higher level resources, rather than the current system of Hex Sprawl.
Decius
Lifedragn
Decius
Lifedragn
Paddy Fitzpatrick

I never claimed that T3 Bulk Goods would need to be globally scarce compared to T2 or T1. Fewer will be produced, as you need max level Holdings to get them. This makes them available, but requires significant Influence investment per hex to harvest it. Or you would use the refinement process to convert up lower tiers, providing two avenues of acquisition. Up-conversion would be expensive, requiring substantial lower tier resources to do so.

Overall, it would help add pressure for claiming and building territory tall over wide. Large companies would have narrower holdings producing higher level resources, rather than the current system of Hex Sprawl.

The current system of "hex sprawl" is not enough to make places to put holdings scarce enough to fight over. Yet. With the planned expansion sites it might be.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post