Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

archers ammo and ranged attacks

Harad Navar
Bob
It's easy to create a believable rule that high-powered magical/divine attacks require ammo and low-powered ones don't without problematically defying our natural expectations of how things work, since after all they work "like magic," which is to say they inherently work in defiance of our natural expectations.

Star Slinger is a special problem…
Depending on the amount of ammo a quiver can carry, it might stretch belivability to have a quiver of daggers. Maybe a dagger bandolier?

Star Slinger, channel force, and channel smite could be seen as using the weapon as a non-destroyed focus to channel Stamina into non-physical damage. However, repeatedly using stamina to power feats like Star Slinger is self limiting when you have to wait for Stamina to recover to use a feat again. It will be interesting to see how the cool-down for using ammo will affect the pace of combat. In particular, in your thinking so far, how would an ammo holder with a limited amount of ammo compare to repeated use of a Stamina powered feat?

I was thinking that it might be possible to convert some feats where the use of ammo is questionable into ones that use Power rather than Stamina. (Unless there is some coding that makes all drains on Power a combat cool-down.)

Harad
Knowledge can explain the darkness, but it is not a light.
Decius
Stat Slinger is a special problem because the dagger isn't set up to use an ammo container at all. You probably won't be able to slot a charge gem and dagger because of that.

The weapons that use ammo cannot be dual wielded, because the ammo container will go in the secondary slot.
Maxen
Decius
Stat Slinger

The ultimate build for "Min/Max'ers"! smile
You are a Troll
So there is going to be an attack speed nerf with ammo too? Oy vei!
Bob
Harad Navar
Bob
It's easy to create a believable rule that high-powered magical/divine attacks require ammo and low-powered ones don't without problematically defying our natural expectations of how things work, since after all they work "like magic," which is to say they inherently work in defiance of our natural expectations.

Star Slinger is a special problem…
Depending on the amount of ammo a quiver can carry, it might stretch belivability to have a quiver of daggers. Maybe a dagger bandolier?

Star Slinger, channel force, and channel smite could be seen as using the weapon as a non-destroyed focus to channel Stamina into non-physical damage. However, repeatedly using stamina to power feats like Star Slinger is self limiting when you have to wait for Stamina to recover to use a feat again. It will be interesting to see how the cool-down for using ammo will affect the pace of combat. In particular, in your thinking so far, how would an ammo holder with a limited amount of ammo compare to repeated use of a Stamina powered feat?

I was thinking that it might be possible to convert some feats where the use of ammo is questionable into ones that use Power rather than Stamina. (Unless there is some coding that makes all drains on Power a combat cool-down.)

Harad

There are certainly ways to handle thrown weapons, but they tend to either get very complicated or require lots of suspended disbelief. For now, we've just focused on weapons that avoid those issues, or at least on feats that avoid using those weapons in problematic ways.

We haven't gone into the details on reloading and such enough to really talk about how that should feel. Best to hold off until we're closer to it and can focus on it properly.

It's probably technically possible to use power on attacks, but there are advantages to keeping things clean and reserving power for expendables. Still, something to keep in our back pocket if we really needed something like that for balance purposes.
Mistwalker
Bob, you have talked about how ranged characters should probably have a melee weapon as back up. This has a certain amount of sense for fighter, rogues and clerics. However, it doesn't make a lot of sense for a mage.

Most mages that I know of have a staff and a wand. Learning weapon feats will require yet more XP and raising another attribute to be able to use them.

Can I ask what your thoughts are on this?
Mistwalker
Maxen
This is one thing I've never understood. You give me two weapon slots, but I can only slot one weapon feat at a time as if I've 'forgotten' how to attack effectively with the other weapon. I have always enjoyed playing my 'rangers' even post-nerf. I attack from range until the monster closes and then I switch to melee, as this seems logical. I feel like I should be able to slot two weapon feats, paying the appropriate XP to level them individually, and benefit from the different attack bonuses when I switch weapons.

I like the idea of having two features, one for each weapon that you have slotted. Make is easier to manage switching back and forth during combats, and make a fair bit of sense for combining ranged attacks and melee attacks.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Mistwalker
Maxen
This is one thing I've never understood. You give me two weapon slots, but I can only slot one weapon feat at a time as if I've 'forgotten' how to attack effectively with the other weapon. I have always enjoyed playing my 'rangers' even post-nerf. I attack from range until the monster closes and then I switch to melee, as this seems logical. I feel like I should be able to slot two weapon feats, paying the appropriate XP to level them individually, and benefit from the different attack bonuses when I switch weapons.

I like the idea of having two features, one for each weapon that you have slotted. Make is easier to manage switching back and forth during combats, and make a fair bit of sense for combining ranged attacks and melee attacks.

I can see that getting horrendously unbalanced really fast depending on the combinations.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Mistwalker
Paddy Fitzpatrick
I can see that getting horrendously unbalanced really fast depending on the combinations.

Apparently I am missing something, could you elaborate and/or provide an example?
Maxen
Mistwalker
Paddy Fitzpatrick

Apparently I am missing something, could you elaborate and/or provide an example?

Right. I might get two or three shots off with the bow before the enemy closes. I'm not sure that's really unbalanced. That's just being smart with my available attacks. And in truth (and I don't know if this exists now or not because I've never checked my stats), there should actually be a penalty for using a bow in melee.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post