Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Settlement Warfare is on the March

Fiery
Bob, how difficult would it be to have a proto-dueling system, where you run (daily?) events, involving passing out sets of equipment either with no durability or that don't take durability hits (not sure how easily something like this could be coded), allowing people to have proper t2/t3 duels, and you return the gear at the end or be banned?
Vakiri
Fiery
Bob, how difficult would it be to have a proto-dueling system, where you run (daily?) events, involving passing out sets of equipment either with no durability or that don't take durability hits (not sure how easily something like this could be coded), allowing people to have proper t2/t3 duels, and you return the gear at the end or be banned?

I'd rather Bob spend his time improving the game, especially since this can effectively be accomplished already since I'm pretty sure you could buy such gear from someone and arrange duels yourself, perhaps the same way the mule games have been arranged.
Fiery
T3 gear is prohibitively expensive, and I doubt many would be willing to have actual duels with it. Besides, whether or not it's something the community would like to see happen, I'd be interested in knowing how easily it could be done.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
Fiery

Yes, this. It has been something that has needed to happen for quite some time. How else do we expect to improve our PvP fighting capabilities?

Even if this can't be done, even just a feature to request and consequently t to a rep free duel which makes both people red to one another until one of them loses will do. The work around we have been trying now are becoming increasingly cumbersome and it don't need to be that way.

Add this to the list of things we can do on a day to day basis, up there with everything else.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Flari-Merchant
While I am all for activities that players would find enjoyable, I can't help be wonder if this idea is a little rough around the edges. You would need a GM to be present daily or weekly, hand out "special gear" to each participant and record the names and gear handed out, finally retrieve the gear at the end of the bouts- checking off all the names and items. This AFTER special non destructible gear is coded for a single recurring event with no idea how long it would be popular.
If there were enough population and enough wanted it, a special rules dueling arena would be the thing to ask for. Open PVP and no durability loss once you step onto the sands…

Why not push for some open PVP hexes instead and bite the bullet on the wear and tear OR do your dueling on the test server???
Zax
The designated Gladitorial Arena Hex sounds great. Tournaments could be held. Players who are not as PVE-centric can have something to do. Open PVP hexes sounds good as well, but sounds more like a Hunting Hex. That would be fun. A Hunt The Humanoid event! And not everybody has or wants access to the Test Server.

*Edit - I also feel that Siege Warfare, with certain fixes mentioned in previous posts, will be beneficial for those more inclined to smack one another
Bob
Fiery

It's probably possible to come up with a fairly simple initial dueling system along those lines that wouldn't be a ton of work, but I think there'd still be either a decent amount of work upfront to get something that just runs in-game, or a fairly small amount of work upfront with a lot of logistics work running it manually. Definitely not a trivial addition.
Fiery
If the upfront work is fairly small (I thought it might be, but couldn't be sure), what level of interest/participation would justify the logistics side of things for you to run it, say, once a week?
Mistwalker
As it is fairly easy to get access to the text system, I would rather that Bob give those interested in doing a fair bit of PvP there - gear is easy to get, so no additional programming needed.

Actually, XP is easy to get too, as Bob can give anyone there as much XP as they need. So you can recreate your character, try out combinations before spending XP in the main server, etc..
Fiery
I honestly think that's fundamentally different than it being done on the live server - I think it would be a much bigger affair on live.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post