Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Thank You Lisa, for Hope and the Road Map.

Bob
Midnight
I question whether there even exists today "established alliances" deserving of such protection. What I see are hollow shells of previous organizations that would crumble the minute you kick unsubscribed characters out of companies.

Under today's rules I can feud folks and see if they actually have the numbers to keep their holdings when their PvP window occurs.

Under the EE12 rules there are going to be holdings completely immune from attack. The company owning that holding might not even have any subscribed players. And all the holdings around it may also be owned by companies without subscribed players.

If you want to reward "established alliances" with stability, at least make sure the established alliances you are coddling are subscribed to the game. I would strongly urge you to expunge all unsubscribed players from companies before instituting any rules granting holdings immunity from attack. Under the current rules, the hollow shells can, at least, be fairly challenged.

We do hope at some point to fiddle with the influence rules to help with those issues, but we don't have a plan for it yet and there are a lot of complications for us to work through.

Hex protection shouldn't really protect a less populated alliance from being taken down for all that long, even if they've spread pretty far. There are lots of unclaimable hexes that make it difficult to maintain a long border, so strategic targeting choices will often let you break through the lines a little more quickly. There's also only so far a border can spread before it starts to run up against non-allied settlements, so there's a limit on deep an alliance's protected territory can be.
Flari-Merchant
@ Bob
So…. Looks like I am not done with Phase 1 like I thought.

I may be an idiot but I am not sure I understand what is meant by "•Protect hexes that have at least 4 allied neighbors from attack."

First, using the term "hexes" and "allies" makes me think that 4 different Allies will need to have at least one of a hex's surrounding hexes as a border. I can't see that working very well even if you mean "allies" as in different companies from the same settlement. Like that it would seem difficult and a bit maddening when it is time to "bring home the bacon" or the bulk. Each company would have holdings all over the map/territory.

Alternatively, it would be even more messy if "Allies" means different allied settlement's Holdings that must touch the hex's borders.

Am I badly missing the meaning here?
Edam
I do believe "never subbed" trial accounts should be removed from influence first if any changes are to be made.

The next step would obviously be to start dropping accounts not subbed for more than "x" months/years.

The extreme step of dropping influence the instant an account is unsubbed is a bit of a can of worms. The current sytem advantages former large groups with no active players (Keepers currently has more active players as a single settlement then some large alliances) but going to far the other way means a small group of players wanting to create havoc and knock down settlements for lols, with no intention to stay in the game, could mess things up big time. It is a hard call.
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard
First, using the term "hexes" and "allies" makes me think that 4 different Allies will need to have at least one of a hex's surrounding hexes as a border. I can't see that working very well even if you mean "allies" as in different companies from the same settlement. Like that it would seem difficult and a bit maddening when it is time to "bring home the bacon" or the bulk. Each company would have holdings all over the map/territory.

Yeah, guess that wasn't the clearest wording. Perhaps this is better phrasing:

Two hexes are "allied" if they are owned by the same company or by companies that are allied to each other (members of the same settlement or of allied settlements). If on any given day a hex has at least 4 allied neighbors, then that hex can't be captured that day. There's an exception for hexes that neighbor an unallied settlement, so that you can always try to reclaim your core six hexes.

There's no requirement that the 4 neighbors are controlled by different allies, just that 4 neighbors are controlled by allied forces, possibly including your own.

Flari-Merchant
Thanks. No one else asked so I guess that makes me the slow student, hehe! smile

I think that this will make for some pretty interesting strategic placement and play.
Giorgio
Bob,

On my "PFO wish list" I would like to read a "Future of PFO post March 2017" blog, to hear what Goblinworks has in mind for the Aristocrat Class, the "Social Skills" of Soldier, Stonemason, Carpenter, and Officer; the topics of rivers, roads, walls, settlement upgrades to make things more "dwarfy", taxes, getting workers & manager production bonuses, how to make PFO a game PF RPGers would like to play, formation warfare, and an "Updated Vision" for the game and its intended audience. smile

You know, in addition to the usual topics of Feuds, Influence, PVP vs PVE, bugs, things not implemented, ranged attacks not fun, and all the other stuff I don't pay attention to unless I have too. smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Midnight
do you mean 2018?
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Midnight
doublepost
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Giorgio
Midnight
do you mean 2018?

No, 2017; as in between March 2017 to Open Enrollment period.

As in the time frame from the first Kickstarter till the company started laying off employees period (dusk), then from there to the "looking for investors" and loosing player due to lack of uncertainty of the games survivability period (darkness), up to the March 17, 2017 blog announcing a year of funding and the take over by Paizo period leading up to Open Enrollment(dawn).

So to me there is a big difference pre- and post- March 2017 blog, I'm interested in a post-March 2017 blog vision/outlook about the future of PFO, under the new administration, given was has already been said (and not) in the road map & recent forum posts; especially about whom this "indie game" is going to be targeted to.
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Flari-Merchant
Giorgio
Midnight
do you mean 2018?

No, 2017; as in between March 2017 to Open Enrollment period.

As in the time frame from the first Kickstarter till the company started laying off employees period (dusk), then from there to the "looking for investors" and loosing player due to lack of uncertainty of the games survivability period (darkness), up to the March 17, 2017 blog announcing a year of funding and the take over by Paizo period leading up to Open Enrollment(dawn).

So to me there is a big difference pre- and post- March 2017 blog, I'm interested in a post-March 2017 blog vision/outlook about the future of PFO, under the new administration, given was has already been said (and not) in the road map & recent forum posts; especially about whom this "indie game" is going to be targeted to.
For Pete's sake! Dwarves are already the Master Race…. smile

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post