Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Social Companies and Tools for Interaction

Nihimon
First, I'm very encouraged by the Road Map. I think embracing PFO as a niche, indie game is exactly the right thing to do.

The one thing I think is missing that might be really high value is Contracts. I don't think I'm alone in thinking Contracts can empower the community to, in essence, create quest-like content. And I think community-created content is by far the most cost-effective content there can be.

Make it easy for players to answer the question "what can I do?" Show them the Buy and Sell Orders at remote Auction Houses. Show them the open Contracts they can take on. Maybe even show them which Escalations are active, or where they can harvest the Resources they need. And if at all possible, let us help you give them something engaging to do.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Duffy Swiftshadow
Even as a simple mechanic an in-game way to direct asynchronous effort is very helpful, especially as a method to clearly setup new players towards various goals.
Schedim
I always had the hope that at sometimes in the future there would be an option for players to "direct" minor escaltions/quests/Dungeons/whatever to further in-game goals and purposes. Like it was done back in the days of MUDs etc.

Social companies fullfill another direly needed function tho, one which I think every newbie I met ingame have asked for.
Schedim: Peddler and dealer in stuff easily transported, restless wandering the land of the River. Trying to find out how to reawaken the cult of Hanspur. To realise this ambition I created the company named Rats of Hanspur.
You can reach me on: pfo.schedim@gmail.com
Bob
Contracts (and other similar things) were on the list we discussed, very much for the kinds of reasons listed above. Unfortunately they're a little too complex to implement quickly, so they didn't make the cut. They'll no doubt rise again for reconsideration, but we'll have to focus first on the things that did make the cut to ensure that they all get completed on time. We've also left a little bit of time toward the end to consider possible additions, but we want to wait until closer to that time before thinking about what exactly to add so we can see just how much extra stuff we can tackle, and also to see if anything else of higher priority has come up along the way.
Lisa Stevens
I was pushing very hard for putting contracts into the game during this push, but keep running into problems when it came to implementation. I am continuing to think about it and hopefully I can come up with an idea that is less hard to implement than what we were originally planning. I think that giving players the ability to contract other players and provide content for the game would be a HUGE plus, so this will be something I come back to again and again until it is solved.
Edam
Having done an awful lot of contracts in EVE there are a few suggestions I can make for when contracts are eventually implemented.

Assuming we are talking simple basic instant sale/transfer of items rather than contracts that extend over time like transport contracts or manufacturing contracts etc:
  • limiting contracts to just instanteous transfer scenarios eliminates the need for escrowal
  • Initially assume a 1v1 personal contract arranged in chat the way trades are done ( whilst long term a searchable offers/requests contract database will be nice it is far from essential.)
  • ideally contracted items will need to be restricted to items in vaults. Anything else is going to be messy. As to wherever it needs to be restricted to personal vaults is another issue.
  • a record/history of past contracts is needed, even emailing the player will suffice but you need something
  • because items will change ownership but remain in the same settlement and need to be collected, it needs to be clear in the contract where the contacted items are located (a typical EVE scam is selling an item cheaply in a dangerous location so you can steal it back when the buyer tries to move it home). How clear you need to make it will depend on GW's attitude to scamming and "caveat emptor"
  • another typical EVE scam is announcing in chat you have an item for sale but actually contracting something cheaper with a very similar name or alternatively fudging numbers or inflating the buy price by a factor of ten or one hundred (announce you are selling 10,000 iron ore at 5 copper each but contract for 1000 or contract for 50 gold instead of 5. Again do you just say "caveat emptor" or find way sto make that sort of misrepresentation more obvious
  • where an item has durability it would simplify things if only full durability items can be contracted
  • there needs to be a way to offer a contract and have teh other party accept it at a later time. Among other things people will use this system to transfer items between characters on the same account.
Giorgio
I am heartened to know that Contracts is something that GW is interested in; the more tools we the player have to create our own content, the better this game will be. smile

(Also, a future with "writing" is something I'd like to see.)
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Flari-Merchant
Not to be a downer and not to dismiss how great it would be to have more complex contracts… but we already have lots of potential "contracts" in the form of Buy Orders in the Auction Houses. Maybe what we need is a better way to SEE them and/or get the knowledge that they are offered out to the "world".
Edam
Bringslite of Staalgard
Not to be a downer and not to dismiss how great it would be to have more complex contracts… but we already have lots of potential "contracts" in the form of Buy Orders in the Auction Houses. Maybe what we need is a better way to SEE them and/or get the knowledge that they are offered out to the "world".
Buy orders are not contracts and do not come even close to filling the multiple roles contracts fill in other games.
Flari-Merchant
Edam
Bringslite of Staalgard
Buy orders are not contracts and do not come even close to filling the multiple roles contracts fill in other games.
No they don't come close to filling all the possibilities of a separate Contract Feature. Yes they are so contracts none-the-less. A promise is made to pay for something that is provided.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post