Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Restricting Output from Outposts to Upgrade Level of Holding

Starchild
Hmm, what putting this fix in now does to me, is to make everything more expensive in terms of influence at a time when available players are at a low ebb. I haven't done (and probably won't do) the maths but to maintain Carpe Noctem at level 18 (where it is currently stable) will require me to recruit a significant additional number of players (maybe 20 toons). If there were a lot of new players coming in, I would feel confident of doing this but is this reasonable at a time when there aren't many new players to recruit? Or is the intention that we just have less resources per 1000 influence and so we keep the towns at lower levels of development?

I realise it is tough to do things that fit both the current small population and still work in the future with a wider player base but suddenly making high training levels a lot harder to achieve seems a bit self-defeating. It reminds me of the infamous "hard is fun" quote smile
Doom! Nightstalkers, evil crafters and bandits, Oh my!
Flari-Merchant
Starchild
Hmm, what putting this fix in now does to me, is to make everything more expensive in terms of influence at a time when available players are at a low ebb. I haven't done (and probably won't do) the maths but to maintain Carpe Noctem at level 18 (where it is currently stable) will require me to recruit a significant additional number of players (maybe 20 toons). If there were a lot of new players coming in, I would feel confident of doing this but is this reasonable at a time when there aren't many new players to recruit? Or is the intention that we just have less resources per 1000 influence and so we keep the towns at lower levels of development?

I realise it is tough to do things that fit both the current small population and still work in the future with a wider player base but suddenly making high training levels a lot harder to achieve seems a bit self-defeating. It reminds me of the infamous "hard is fun" quote smile
Yeah, that is what I have been alluding to as a "Dust Storm" after the 1st Phase goes live. Some of us have enough Bulk to ride it out for awhile, some of us do not. Especially if we have to turn up the volume to 18, 19 or 20. We have possibly 2 months to wheel and deal for Bulk resources, though! <—Not meant as tongue-in-cheek
Flari-Merchant
Could someone be so kind as to put up the formula for calculating expected Bulk yield from hexes?
WxCougar of KOTC
Bringslite of Staalgard
Could someone be so kind as to put up the formula for calculating expected Bulk yield from hexes?

I second this request. I found the ratings per hex and so forth but don't know the formula that gives the number of bulk goods generated.
Keeper's Pass (NG) - Respecting life, protecting freedom, united against tyranny. We are a Crafting Settlement with friendly people and welcome many play styles including casual and Role playing. For more information check our Traveler's Guide to Keeper's Pass at https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/109/. If you wish to join with us in Keeper's Pass come visit us at our website at http://www.kotcguild.com/.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Edit: * = Multiplication for those that aren't used to coding conventions

As it stands today:

The formula per outpost per resource rating it uses:
(Resource Rating/800)*Effort*Resource%Output = Daily Bulk Amount

The Resource%Output is to cover outposts that split their output between two resources. In those cases set it to .5 and in all single resource outputs set it to 1.

Every outposts gets 20 effort plus scaling bonuses based on the plus as seen below:
+0: 0
+1: 8
+2: 16
+3: 24
+4: 32
+5: 40

So as an example, a perfect Woodland hex has an 800 Wood rating, with two +3 Lumberjack outposts it would result in the following: (800/800)*44*1 = 44 per outpost, so a total of 88 Wood per day for that hex's two outposts. What you can probably see is that perfect hexes result in outputting whatever your effort is, if you don't have a perfect hex you get some fraction of the effort based on how far away from a perfect hex rating you are.

Hex ratings are based on their neighbors, if all the neighbors have the same type of rating (note not necessarily the same type of hex though most work out better that way) as the center hex, it will have a perfect rating. If it's not, it has a fractional reduction based on the number that do not have the same type of rating. This is why most transitional region border hexes have mediocre ratings. Meteor hexes mess with this as they give a boost to ore ratings but nothing else, hence why near perfect Plains hexes next to Meteor hexes have better Ore ratings than a perfect Plains hex. This can be seen just west of Sigil.
Bob
Starchild
Or is the intention that we just have less resources per 1000 influence and so we keep the towns at lower levels of development?

The intention is definitely to lower the amount of resources produced per 1000 influence, so we do expect that some settlements will decide to run at a lower settlement level. We realize that's more likely to affect newer companies and settlements than on those that got stocked up on characters a while ago that have since gone inactive, but hopefully the impact won't be too large for reasonably active settlements. Dropping your settlement level by 1 would grant pretty significant savings and would have a fairly limited impact, and you can further reduce the impact by focusing on taking more territory using +0 holdings and outposts. You can also trade for resources, particularly with those settlements that may be producing a lot of bulk resources but aren't necessarily producing other resources at similar levels.
Flari-Merchant
Thanks for the formula and the walkthrough examples Duffy.
Flari-Merchant
Hate to seem cheap here(secretly love it) but how many of you Yard Bosses out there figure you will lose a lot when you switch over your Holding structures to more efficient models for the hexes, new calculations and due to the newer value of Bulk resources?

Edit: Save: "Not too bad since I built everything just perfect" ;P
WxCougar of KOTC
Thanks Duffy, that helped a ton!

There was a time that the main holding would eventually help raise numbers of certain bulk production (Trading Post Holding increasing production of Trade Goods for example). Will this still be a thing? And if so, would it kick in when all the holding/outpost changes go in?
Keeper's Pass (NG) - Respecting life, protecting freedom, united against tyranny. We are a Crafting Settlement with friendly people and welcome many play styles including casual and Role playing. For more information check our Traveler's Guide to Keeper's Pass at https://goblinworks.com/forum/topic/109/. If you wish to join with us in Keeper's Pass come visit us at our website at http://www.kotcguild.com/.
Bob
WxCougar of KOTC
There was a time that the main holding would eventually help raise numbers of certain bulk production (Trading Post Holding increasing production of Trade Goods for example). Will this still be a thing? And if so, would it kick in when all the holding/outpost changes go in?

It's still a thing, and we still intend to do it eventually, but it's not on the schedule yet.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post