Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Restricting Output from Outposts to Upgrade Level of Holding

Bob
The bonus is currently implemented as a flat bonus, with the hex simply producing that amount of the listed bulk resource on top of anything else it's producing. I'd forgotten the potential detail of linking it to outpost production, though I'm not sure we'd ever finalized anything on that front, and I suspect we intended to debate the details a bit when we finally got around to implementing the bonuses. And now is that time.

Adding in a restriction that the hex's outposts need to be producing at least some of that bulk resource in order to get the bonus would certainly add an incentive to make holdings match the theme of each hex, but hopefully not so strong a bonus that every holding in an area will be exactly the same. It would also mean that there'd be a pretty big incentive to always match at least one outpost to the holding, which might lower variety a bit. However, only one outpost producing that bulk resource would be required, so the second outpost could still be just about anything that works acceptably with the hex's bulk rating.

Overall, I think that would be a good change, so I'll file a feature request to get it implemented. Not sure if we'll be able to get it in for EE 12, but I don't think it will be too difficult to get in eventually.
Flari-Merchant
I am a little bummed because I was not suspecting that to be fixed in this Roadmap. Having it happen after I have literally transformed ALL of a settlement's hexes to more efficient EE12 models, but I am not complaining per se. I still see good value in going with watchtowers pretty much exclusively in the mountains.

Still fully support getting that feature up and working.
Decius
Prior discussion was that it would be an effort bonus to Holdings which produced that resource, but effort isn't in yet and needs more players and more tech, so a flat bonus per outpost that produced that resources was used as an interim expected measure.

I don't have strong opinions about which it should be, but knowing what it will be next patch and the general idea of what the goal is helps with writing the spreadsheets for next month and planning for long term.
Bob
I considered going with effort (we don't use real effort now, but we fake it enough that this could be treated as an effort bonus and thus the amount of help it did would be based on bulk ratings just like outpost output is), but I like having the math work a little differently between the holdings and outposts. Outpost production already pushes you pretty hard toward choosing outposts that perfectly mesh with the hex's bulk ratings, so having the holding resource bonus be flat is at least a mild counterpoint that potentially makes choosing small inefficiencies more palatable.
Bob
Bob
Adding in a restriction that the hex's outposts need to be producing at least some of that bulk resource in order to get the bonus would certainly add an incentive to make holdings match the theme of each hex, but hopefully not so strong a bonus that every holding in an area will be exactly the same. It would also mean that there'd be a pretty big incentive to always match at least one outpost to the holding, which might lower variety a bit. However, only one outpost producing that bulk resource would be required, so the second outpost could still be just about anything that works acceptably with the hex's bulk rating.

Overall, I think that would be a good change, so I'll file a feature request to get it implemented. Not sure if we'll be able to get it in for EE 12, but I don't think it will be too difficult to get in eventually.

And we got this in for EE 12.
Decius
Fixing my spreadsheets again now.

To be sure, if either outpost is producing any of the resources the holding can, the holding produces the amount and type indicated for its plus?
Decius
Oh, and quarries still produce ore while mines produce stone?
Bob
Decius
Fixing my spreadsheets again now.

To be sure, if either outpost is producing any of the resources the holding can, the holding produces the amount and type indicated for its plus?

That is correct.
Bob
Decius
Oh, and quarries still produce ore while mines produce stone?

Nope, I changed the Resource bonus for Quarries to Bulk Stone and for Mines to Bulk Ore. I also changed Trading Posts to 2-12 Trade Goods (instead of 4-24) and Fisheries to Bulk Food (instead of Trade Goods).
Decius
I had already updated fisheries to 2-12 Food and trading posts to 2-12 tg. I knew that mines and quarries were backwards but hadn't seen a note that they were fixed. It's an easy spreadsheet change.

Would it be possible to arrange for a one-time swap from the negatively affected holdings without sacrificing the outposts, or should we plan to replace the outposts where a holding is enough worse that it needs to be replaced? The higher primary upkeep makes the difference between reasonable and unreasonable in several hexes.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post