Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Bringing Back Support

Bob
For EE 12, we're bringing back support, but in a way that let's you keep some of your training even if your support level drops too low to fully support your trained ranks in all of your feats. Here's how it works:

For every feat you've learned, we first check your Trained Rank and your Supported Rank (the highest rank of that feat that's supported by your Support Level). If your Trained Rank is less than or equal to your Supported Rank, then your Current Rank is equal to your Trained Rank, since you're fully supported. If your Trained Rank is greater than your Supported Rank, then your Current Rank is equal to the average of your Trained Rank and your Supported Rank (add together and divide by 2), rounded up.

Here's a couple examples:

Trained Rank: 5
Supported Rank: 8
Current Rank: 5

Trained Rank: 8
Supported Rank: 5
Current Rank: 7
The Eternal Balance
Seems too generous. Characters belonging to a minimum level settlement should not be gifted level 15 training.

Edit: Perhaps I am not understanding what exactly determines the level of support a settlement provides? I have never seen a settlement with only level 5 support, so i must be missing something here.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Bob
The Eternal Balance
Seems too generous. Characters belonging to a minimum level settlement should not be gifted level 15 training.

Edit: Perhaps I am not understanding what exactly determines the level of support a settlement provides? I have never seen a settlement with only level 5 support, so i must be missing something here.

For the moment, Settlement Level and Support Level are identical. We tend to refer to them differently because we ultimately want to have other ways to provide support, but for now even the UI only shows Settlement Level. If you're not in a settlement, then we treat your Settlement Level as 8. If you're in a Settlement, then your Settlement Level is between 9 and 20, depending on what upkeep your settlement is paying. Currently, if your settlement fails to pay upkeep you can drop to a Settlement Level of zero, but for EE 12 we've changed that to drop you down to 9, since that's available without any upkeep cost.

You still can't train beyond what's available at your Settlement Level, so this only kicks in if you've had support at some point, trained up, then lost that support. It doesn't give you any training beyond what you've learned, just lets you keep some of what you've learned if you later lose support. The idea is to acknowledge that you as a character did learn these skills, and that they're a reflection of you as a character, not just of what settlement you're attached to, while still saying that you can't take full advantage of all your training if you don't have a settlement backing you up.

The reason the numbers in my examples go as low as 5 is that I'm talking about the ranks of individual feats, not your overall support level. Take Whirlwind as an example. Everyone has support for Whirlwind up to rank 3, but you have to have a Support Level of 9 to learn/support Whirlwind 4, a Support Level of 12 to learn Whirlwind 5, and a Support Level of 16 to learn Whirlwind 6. So with the new system, if you previously learned Whirlwind 5 while you had a Support Level of 12, but now you leave your settlement (Support Level smile, you'll still be able to use Whirlwind at rank 4. The old system would have dropped you all the way to rank 3 in that case.
Bob
As a side note, we've added some UI to make this issue clearer. In the Feat Window, the tooltips always include your Trained Rank, Supported Rank and Current Rank. On other tooltips, you'll see both your Current Rank and your Trained Rank (i.e. 5/6) if your Current Rank is being reduced, or just your Current Rank if not.
Smitty
So for now this is strictly a math based formula ?
meaning
A wizard that is attached to a settlement without wizard training- will only need to worry about the level of support,
and not the fact their settlement actually has no wizards to train them.
Duffy Swiftshadow
So now that PvP windows will be active in a narrower window of a few days meaning a conflict will probably span multiple weeks, you have to chip away holdings from the outside in, an individual holding's value to paying settlement upkeep will increase due to the changes to how bulk is produced, and DI may play some role here too; are you just accepting the snowball effect where losing holdings makes your settlement's characters weaker while your opponent stays the same strength? The fact that your losing holdings is already a sign you are probably gonna lose the greater conflict due to the numbers problem with stand and capture, but as you lose them you will start getting weaker without bulk reserves (tho depending on how DI works that might not even help) or outside help.
Flari-Merchant
@ Bob

•Let settlements select a 3-day period for their PvP windows to be open and require 48-hour minimum delay on feuds.
Does that mean a 72 hour window or a 3 day span of the same old window length by settlement level?
Probably a silly question(I hope) but you never know. smile
Midnight
Well, the nice thing about peeling the onion (chipping away at holdings from the outside in) is that players will have plenty of time to see the fail-cascade coming and evac. Basically one bad 3 days stretch of PvP windows could trigger an evac.

Will feuds still allow 23/7 targeting of companies? Will feuds ignore the PvP limitations that holding owners set in each hex?

Depending on those answers, it might be that each week leaves a 4 day window for evacuating safely.

I figure that by September all but one coalition will be living in Thornkeep. smile
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard
@ Bob

•Let settlements select a 3-day period for their PvP windows to be open and require 48-hour minimum delay on feuds.
Does that mean a 72 hour window or a 3 day span of the same old window length by settlement level?
Probably a silly question(I hope) but you never know. smile

Three day span of the current window time/length.
Bob
Smitty
So for now this is strictly a math based formula ?
meaning
A wizard that is attached to a settlement without wizard training- will only need to worry about the level of support,
and not the fact their settlement actually has no wizards to train them.

Yes, at least for now, we'll be continuing with settlements having an overall settlement level that defines how much support the settlement gives across the board. We'll talk more about any possible changes to that system when we get closer to implementing structure upgrades (EE 15).

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post