Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Pathfinder Online will be ending operations on November 28, 2021. For more details please visit our FAQ.

Fix Your Pricing Model

Flari-Merchant
Duffy Swiftshadow
That's just a complex bait and switch. If someone can't really progress without paying the equivalent of the sub what you're really asking for is some sort of capped low tier option like what EVE currently has. Which means the game is still really a sub based game unless you can 'grind' enough coin for the Azoth stuff, which again is a good solution itself for sub costs based on EVE's business model.

The low level account isn't a bad idea itself, but it would require tweaking some mechanics to avoid abuse and you need to curb players leveling accounts up to some limited specific goal then turning off the XP while they reap the benefits of the training forever, which translates to no sub = capped abilities.

Hmmm… that makes me wonder: "•Introduce Azoth, which can be used to improve crafting/refining output or converted into game time."

In what way will I be able to use Azoth if I have to be subscribed anyhoo?
Decius
Bringslite of Staalgard
Duffy Swiftshadow
That's just a complex bait and switch. If someone can't really progress without paying the equivalent of the sub what you're really asking for is some sort of capped low tier option like what EVE currently has. Which means the game is still really a sub based game unless you can 'grind' enough coin for the Azoth stuff, which again is a good solution itself for sub costs based on EVE's business model.

The low level account isn't a bad idea itself, but it would require tweaking some mechanics to avoid abuse and you need to curb players leveling accounts up to some limited specific goal then turning off the XP while they reap the benefits of the training forever, which translates to no sub = capped abilities.

Hmmm… that makes me wonder: "•Introduce Azoth, which can be used to improve crafting/refining output or converted into game time."

It would replace the suvscription billing and/or be available to spend without being in-game on character.
Smitty
Think we can all agree as a sub $15 is not going to deter the names we see frequently on the forums- But
New guy here - is well new- he is not vested in the game as most of us are..

So why not mix up the pricing?

Sure the folks still playing can get keep the lights on, but will it grow?

Will it bring back some of the folks that left?
So Why not cut the sub price to 7.50 for 6 months and see what happens?
Would all the vets that are month to month sub for 6 months to take advantage of the price?
Would folks that are paid for a year- add 6 more months at $7.50 per month?
Would new folks sign up for 6 months to get in on the deal?
Perhaps they can work any promotional pricing in around the time the marketing program Lisa brought up comes online.
They may be willing to give up 3 months of revenue from the current player base-
When they introduce the game to 5+ times the number of players.
If they get 10-20% of them to stick around for any amount of time they will probably break even if not make more.
Perhaps they could reduce the standard price to $10/ month afterward. to hold onto more of them.

I don't think its a horrible idea- hope they give it some thought..

Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard

For the initial implementation, our current idea is that you simply convert the Azoth into an account credit for a month of game time. You wouldn't be able to activate your account with Azoth, but you could effectively extend your active time using Azoth and avoid paying further subscription fees.
Flari-Merchant
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard

For the initial implementation, our current idea is that you simply convert the Azoth into an account credit for a month of game time. You wouldn't be able to activate your account with Azoth, but you could effectively extend your active time using Azoth and avoid paying further subscription fees.
Okay, so at implementation it will be the same thing as paying an existing subscription or parceled out someway to bump the reach toward a "+" (only one) above what you are able to achieve without using it. In addition, it will be tradable in-game so it might be possible (if there were players to trade with) to buy some with the idear of making some coin or trade for whatever?

I like the concept as I see it as a challenge. I do not see it being useful until there are some critical mass of players subscribed and playing. Exception being what the end cost comes to for bumping up refine/craft reach on BIG things like buildings, etc…

It "feels" like a good step overall. I think you would sell more if it could also be used to shorten craft /refine times.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Bringslite of Staalgard
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard

Okay, so at implementation it will be the same thing as paying an existing subscription or parceled out someway to bump the reach toward a "+" (only one) above what you are able to achieve without using it. In addition, it will be tradable in-game so it might be possible (if there were players to trade with) to buy some with the idear of making some coin or trade for whatever?

I like the concept as I see it as a challenge. I do not see it being useful until there are some critical mass of players subscribed and playing. Exception being what the end cost comes to for bumping up refine/craft reach on BIG things like buildings, etc…

It "feels" like a good step overall. I think you would sell more if it could also be used to shorten craft /refine times.

It's primarily a 'legit' route to buying in-game coin, do a quick google of EVE PLEX and you'll see what it's roughly based on, though they don't have the crafting component. I am a tad concerned over it having crafting value versus just being trade-able for sub time or acting as store credit.

You are correct tho that it will probably require some decent portion of critical mass to reallllly get going.
Edam
I subbed multiple accounts in EVE by dedicating maybe 10 hours a month to mission grinding and smuggling PI out of lowsec to sell in high and doing some low level manufacturing. I could probably have subbed with just mission running but it would have taken 15 hours per month.

BUT …
  • there was a huge demand on the markets for gathered PI and manufactured goods
  • flying the blockade runners for smuggling effectively and getting max skills on the high end frigatess need to do the lucrative "Burner" missions is not possible for newer EVE players. Your not really going to practically sub by in game means in EVE for your first 6 months to a year without grinding hours every night.
  • there was a large number of people (mainly PvPers) paying cash for PLEX
However the third point is probably the most significant, as for the system to be viable there need to be a large number of players paying real cash. The odd new player will fork out extra money to get established but the bulk of that comes form the weekend smallgang PvP crowd wanting to use their game time to go on roams rather than grind. For Azoth to work you need PvP.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Edam
I subbed multiple accounts in EVE by dedicating maybe 10 hours a month to mission grinding and smuggling PI out of lowsec to sell in high and doing some low level manufacturing. I could probably have subbed with just mission running but it would have taken 15 hours per month.

BUT …
  • flying the blockade runners for smuggling effectively and getting max skills on the high end frigatess need to do the lucrative "Burner" missions is not possible for newer EVE players. Your not really going to practically sub by in game means in EVE for your first 6 months to a year without grinding hours every night.
However the third point is probably the most significant, as for the system to be viable there need to be a large number of players paying real cash. The odd new player will fork out extra money to get established but the bulk of that comes form the weekend smallgang PvP crowd wanting to use their game time to go on roams rather than grind. For Azoth to work you need PvP.

Summarized we need gear churn and an economy smile
Edam
Duffy Swiftshadow
Edam

BUT …

Summarized we need gear churn and an economy smile

We have substantial gear churn (looking in my personal vault recently I had over 30 T2 Elemental Focus with 1 or 2 hitpoints left and several T3 in the same state) just no cash economy.

Keepers T3 crafters are flat out with bespoke orders from all over the map mainly direct bartering for mats but that is not going to benefit Azoth.

To be honest we need population.
Flari-Merchant
MMO players are fickle and flighty as anything. Why are we still here? That is the question. I believe partly because there isn't anything quite like this game out there. We get to rule territory, we have history and skull-sweat investment.
Are incoming players going to be able to get their "piece of heaven" land plot(really a major/important draw for this game) within a reasonable amount of time after they start playing? Will the "how to's" of what they need to do be ready to lay out in front of them?

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post