Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Security Levels and Opt-In PvP

Hobson Fiffledown
Will there still be attacker flagging in low security hexes?
What if I want to come to your high security hex and strip-mine in front of you?
Maybe we just want to base our settlement siege two hexes away along a protected supply line.
Seems "high security" hexes come with a big security trade off. Just a misnomer?

It'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
This space for rent.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Bringslite of Staalgard
Duffy Swiftshadow
Hobson Fiffledown
So, say me and my (currently not feuded) merry band of n'ere-do-wells want to go ransack a T3 hex somewhere. We can travel safely along roads, npc hexes, and any High security hexes to get there, hop into the T3 hex (sometimes directly) to strip mine, boss kill, or PvP, and then hop right out to relative safety? Am I understanding that correctly?

Assuming you are not still flagged when you bail to the NPC High Security hex then yes you can leave in safety. If you are flagged it sounds like you need to wait for that to run out to be safe in NPC hexes.
Can someone chasing you and hitting occasionally keep you flagged?
If so, then it is all just about same as before, sans the penalties for starting a ruckus outside of Feuds. IMO anyway.

What I mean is that such persons usually get away if there is no PVP involved already anyway. Not that the changes are bad. So far I am a fan of them. smile

I'm not sure, but I think the somewhat exploitative behavior Hobson is pointing at may be plausible.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Hobson Fiffledown
What if I want to come to your high security hex and strip-mine in front of you?
Maybe we just want to base our settlement siege two hexes away along a protected supply line.
Seems "high security" hexes come with a big security trade off. Just a misnomer?

Yea there is some corner case oddness. I was assuming this feature was going to be based on the Blacklist/Ally stuff to determine whether to apply the Rep penalty, I didn't think they would go full on PvP restriction.
Hobson Fiffledown
(On a side note to the protected strip-mining issue, what if, one day, +4 and +5 holdings gave the owner the ability to set harvesting permissions for that hex. i.e. Allies=no rep penalty, Others=rep penalty.)

Somewhat exploitative, or by design? A settlement may now choose to automatically protect its common citizens, gatherers, and travelers withing its realm from "random" PvP. But doing so means putting other uncontrollable resources within their territory at greater risk. Sure, GW needs to make some safe areas for some of their players, but they also need to dust things up a little and have more conflict in the game. Are they trying to do both, or is that not the intent?
This space for rent.
Bob
Duffy Swiftshadow
Yea there is some corner case oddness. I was assuming this feature was going to be based on the Blacklist/Ally stuff to determine whether to apply the Rep penalty, I didn't think they would go full on PvP restriction.

We were generally trying to avoid turning blacklists into anything resembling a free, long-lasting feud.
Bob
Hobson Fiffledown

Flagging should still happen in low security hexes, it just doesn't make as much difference unless you move to another hex while still flagged.

The High Security name is really about how secure an individual in the hex feels about being attacked by random passersby, not about how much it contributes to the security of the hex's owners (or owners of nearby hexes). If someone wants to stop you from using a High Security hex, they either need to claim the hex and lower its security level (if possible), or feud you.
Flari-Merchant
Then there is the fact that it is a choice. A Choice with some possible costs/tradeoffs that already exist in any case.
With all of the possible ways to retaliate for strip mining such as Feuding, Blacklisting, reciprocal striping, and on maybe exploits will be no more than rare corner cases.

Soon, if I want to "claim" a T3 hex as Dominion Territory, I can insta attack and not suffer rep loss. Soon, if I set my security level to high, players will know they can safely dig materials in my lands. Maybe they will sell some to me.

Whatever choices that I make will have some potentially bad repercussions for some benefits, but I can dial down my setting once a week if needed.
Decius
Hobson Fiffledown

That siege camp is going to have to be in a hex you control. And if you're feuding or being feuded, that protection goes away for you but remain for nonparticipating (third-party) characters.
Decius
Will holding guards engage flagged unallied characters on sight in all three security levels?
Stilachio Thrax
Hobson Fiffledown

It looks that would be a trade-off, but the hexes most susceptible to strip-mining are the T3 hexes, which are open PVP anyway.
Virtus et Honor

Steward of Ozem's Vigil, Lord Commander of the Argyraspides Iomedais

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post