Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Protected hexes are another blob friendly feature.

MidniteArrow
A large group will *always* be able to have a defended home with a projected force.

Automated defenses are necessary at current scale to prevent chaos. Although, I do think "months" is way too long for automated defenses to hold out.
Drakis [Arrodima] [Default Speaker] [PvE Soldier, Empyrean Legion ]
Nijah [Arrodima] [Leader, The Argent Defenders, PvE]
Jinh [Arrodima] [Leader, The Concordian Council]
Duffy Swiftshadow
MidniteArrow
A large group will *always* be able to have a defended home with a projected force.

That is not necessarily true, it can be true, but it is not inherently true. It's also skewed a lot today because what population we do have would mostly be described as 'hardcore' full participation players. But in reality any group over a few dozen players under a banner will run into issues with scheduling, ability, and play style preferences at any particular moment. Now the larger the group the better your odds and options, and the more you outpace your contemporaries growth the bigger that advantage can get, but it is by no means a 100% guarantee.
Decius
MidniteArrow

Automated defenses are necessary at current scale to prevent chaos. Although, I do think "months" is way too long for automated defenses to hold out.
How many battles do you think the largest possible territory should have to lose before entering the siege state? A lower limit of 6 (one week) exists simply to surround the settlement; in any realistic opposed attack scenario that would take 2-6 weeks to take. (If the attackers can win at six points at the same time it's because they aren't meaningfully opposed.
Flari-Merchant
Blobs again? One blob force limitation is that the larger they grow (size wise) the more territory they need to defend. Another is that your enemies don't really die. They just get more numerous as you evict them and as your borders push outward, these old enemies add to the force of new places that you threaten. At least these things Could become meaningful limiters.

If your recruitment level does not keep pace with your expansion policies… well you eventually find yourself as the "shrinking violet" on the map. At the very least you find youself hitting a "wall".

If you do recruit well and fight well at your expanding borders, why should you be unnecessarily artificially hampered much beyond limits that all share?
Duffy Swiftshadow
Bringslite of Staalgard
Blobs again? One blob force limitation is that the larger they grow (size wise) the more territory they need to defend. Another is that your enemies don't really die. They just get more numerous as you evict them and as your borders push outward, these old enemies add to the force of new places that you threaten. At least these things Could become meaningful limiters.

If your recruitment level does not keep pace with you expansion policies… well you eventually find yourself as the "shrinking violet" on the map. At the very least you find youself hitting a "wall".

If you do recruit well and fight well at your expanding borders, why should you be unnecessarily artificially hampered much beyond limits that all share?

Because it's way more complex than that. Using our quintessential comparison to EVE, they just made sweeping changes this past year to limit the logistical ability for blobs to dominate as easily because it ends up stagnating the game and cutting anyone who is not part of the dominating blobs completely out of some sections of the game. Their territory game got a lot more diverse and interesting after the major changes to force projection. That said EVE has no actual limits on what a particular size group can do (to my knowledge), if you can fund it you can try to do it. Good luck holding it against bigger combat fleet, but there's nothing that straight up prevents an arbitrarily size group from trying.

PFO on the other hand has hard restrictions due to how influence works which ties into these other hard mechanical system, which ultimately encourages blobbing, which we fear may lead to the stagnation or worse. Since joining a settlement is close to required for anyone sticking with the game past a few months, it means everyone has to go somewhere eventually which means even if 90% of your base kept to themselves and never participated in territory control the 10% doing it get to wield all that influence. Now that 10% might be equal to some other groups 80% in actual bodies fighting for territory, but the 10% still has a huge advantage. That's the kinda thing I want to see resolved. Effort should trump passive bodies.
Midnight
Bringslite of Staalgard

If your recruitment level does not keep pace with your expansion policies… well you eventually find yourself as the "shrinking violet" on the map. At the very least you find youself hitting a "wall".

Fighting anywhere across the map with no regard to defense (because you have hex immunity) is what I talked about. How did that become fighting well at your expanding border?
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Decius
What exactly does "never participating in territory battles" look like?

If you gather and sell materials, you are participating in territory battles. If you sell loot from escalations, you are participating in territory battles. If you pay taxes to a settlement, you are participating in their territory battles.
Flari-Merchant
Sure, groups with more bodies willing to PVP should be better at keeping or gaining territory. I don't think that my problem with concerns about "Blobs" denies that. That is mostly what you mean about Effort, isn't it? That those willing to PVP and having superior force through skill and/or numbers should have an advantage in war?

You do know that I am not real confident about the influence mechanic. The only real things that I do like about it are that it forces groups to do other ingame activities to get and maintain the ability to make war and currently there is a risk to aggressors to lose some ability to make war if they are successfully defended against. Both are still pitiful(cost wise) but they are pretty much the only redeeming qualities the way influence is set up and run.
Flari-Merchant
Midnight
Bringslite of Staalgard

Fighting anywhere across the map with no regard to defense (because you have hex immunity) is what I talked about. How did that become fighting well at your expanding border?
Only that when your border expands, your number of unprotected hexes also grows.

Edit: I don't disagree with you that warfare is heading towards WWI European theater style trench war.
Midnight
If I don't have to defend, I can project power globally.

While the 3 day PvP window is ostensibly meant to allow folks a respite from structure defense, large active groups can use that respite to project power globally, like "stealing" far flung escalations, and strip mining far flung territory or even banditry.

Hex immunity, and the slow pace of any possible sieges, grant safety for far flung adventurism even DURING my PvP window.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post