Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Protected hexes are another blob friendly feature.

Midnight
MidniteArrow
A large group will *always* be able to have a defended home with a projected force.

Automated defenses are necessary at current scale to prevent chaos. Although, I do think "months" is way too long for automated defenses to hold out.

Turning off a PvP window for a hex goes far beyond anything I'd term "automated defenses".

If we can't handle PvP at the current scale, turn off ALL PvP windows for everyone. Giving blobs a mechanical defensive advantage so they have more free time to offensively terrorize their enemies can't end well.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Duffy Swiftshadow
Decius
What exactly does "never participating in territory battles" look like?

If you gather and sell materials, you are participating in territory battles. If you sell loot from escalations, you are participating in territory battles. If you pay taxes to a settlement, you are participating in their territory battles.

Fielding bodies.
Fiery
You don't need to be a "blob" to steal escalations or strip resources (anyone at all can strip a he with the requisite skill). Even a group with considerably less activity and size can choose to be belligerent, and now they can have a 6+ week buffer before they need to deal with an attack. Although there are some settlements that have fewer geographic weaknesses, and thus scale better with more holdings and allies, many settlements have inherent geographic weaknesses that leave a path to taking a settlement's core six, and that path doesn't scale with holding spread.
Flari-Merchant
Midnight
If I don't have to defend, I can project power globally.

While the 3 day PvP window is ostensibly meant to allow folks a respite from structure defense, large active groups can use that respite to project power globally, like "stealing" far flung escalations, and strip mining far flung territory or even banditry.

Hex immunity, and the slow pace of any possible sieges, grant safety for far flung adventurism even DURING my PvP window.
I can already project power globally if I want to. I can do it with 3-6 players in any escalation that I like. Sure if I am a blob with 500 members, I can do it ALL OVER the map, anytime.

How would you limit a blob from being able to do that? Even with the systems currently active, it happens all the time.
Flari-Merchant
Fiery
You don't need to be a "blob" to steal escalations or strip resources (anyone at all can strip a he with the requisite skill). Even a group with considerably less activity and size can choose to be belligerent, and now they can have a 6+ week buffer before they need to deal with an attack. Although there are some settlements that have fewer geographic weaknesses, and thus scale better with more holdings and allies, many settlements have inherent geographic weaknesses that leave a path to taking a settlement's core six, and that path doesn't scale with holding spread.

To me it looks like GW is aiming for:
Lots more fighting in T3 hexes over resources and escalations. They want that.
Lots more fighting around holdings through raids.
Lots more options and areas that non PVP players can feel relatively safe outside of Feuds and maybe still.. factions. Despite any protected hex, there are Feuds which trump all such safety measures.

Yeah actual war is going to be slowed down to snail like progress, but there are still as many or more ways for lesser forms of PVP coming. These changes are better for both sides of the fence, IMO.
Fiery
I agree BL. I'm fully supportive of the changes. The key here is to make the holdings themselves valuable for more than just being a buffer from attack. Make the bulk they produce, or the rules they govern, valuable enough they choosing to ignore their defense so you can instead perform some other action is a meaningful decision.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
I generally like the changes overall as a step in the right direction. A few concerns I have…

First, the raiding for holdings must be able to take place in ANY holding, not just the outer layer. No one should be so completely safe that they can be insulated from having to deal with any sort of pvp warfare.

Second concern is that yes it doesn't take a blob to poach resources, though in a decent population it would be a lot harder due to simply having more manpower to patrol. The issue is a big enough blob can do more poaching at once. It does take at least a five or six man to poach an escalation if no one is there. If an opposing group is there then good luck.

However, that is only one escalation. A blob that is big enough can and probably will poach multiple escalations at once, with folks to spare in case they get resistance. Then you have a hi sec security area to hide somewhere and now you can do it with impunity. If somehow a sizable enough blob came into this game, got a settlement, and started running roughshod all over all the prize hexes, there ain't nearly enough of us to stop it. It won't feel good being on the other side of a blob that can steal everything in your area and then run and hide behind the hi sec system. Good luck.

Final concern is feuds as they are now are not sufficient enough or targeted enough to deal with high sec hexes. We need a mini feud mechanic down the line. If a feud somehow doesn't start a world war just to hunt down a few guys in hi sec, it is also highly inefficient and with the hour startup will be too late to act by the time it kicks in.

I propose making anyone who is in a low sec hex for more than say a half hour get pvp flagged. Let's face it if you are in say a T3 monster he for that long you are probably working the escalation or something. It increases risk and reward in a way that is more fair.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of Aragon Alliance and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord
Midnight
Bringslite of Staalgard
Midnight
If I don't have to defend, I can project power globally.

While the 3 day PvP window is ostensibly meant to allow folks a respite from structure defense, large active groups can use that respite to project power globally, like "stealing" far flung escalations, and strip mining far flung territory or even banditry.

Hex immunity, and the slow pace of any possible sieges, grant safety for far flung adventurism even DURING my PvP window.
I can already project power globally if I want to. I can do it with 3-6 players in any escalation that I like. Sure if I am a blob with 500 members, I can do it ALL OVER the map, anytime.

I agree. Which is why many of us have been calling for limits on force projection and getting militant against calls for teleport and fast travel. I'd like to see characters who die go into a ghost form that floats all the way back to their settlement shrine at walking speed to respawn (with no character control to limit spying as a ghost). We also need to make sprinting have a cost as originally intended. In an empty world where everyone is playing nice sprint helps the world feel less empty, but when we aren't all playing nice it allows force projection that is too easy/excessive.
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Fiery
Paddy Fitzpatrick
I generally like the changes overall as a step in the right direction. A few concerns I have…

First, the raiding for holdings must be able to take place in ANY holding, not just the outer layer. No one should be so completely safe that they can be insulated from having to deal with any sort of pvp warfare.

My impression is that this will be the case. You can raid any holding during any day, not even just the 3-day window.

Paddy Fitzpatrick
I propose making anyone who is in a low sec hex for more than say a half hour get pvp flagged. Let's face it if you are in say a T3 monster he for that long you are probably working the escalation or something. It increases risk and reward in a way that is more fair.

I do believe anyone who enters a Monster hex will automatically be flagged.
Flari-Merchant
Nothing works really well in a game where single 1000xp alts are the complete roster of a settlement, a BIG group is 12 players and the total server pop is less than what one settlement really needs to function well if all the buttons were set to "on". These changes are for larger player bases. Either the detractors or GW will be right about them and maybe even BOTH will be right and wrong.

I would have shot much more toward more PVE content and definitely UI improvement, but I don't have a driver's seat on this wagon. smile

We don't have details yet about raiding(even if it takes a feud), but since it is not a capture-takeaway mechanic, maybe even "protected hexes" will have to watch for them. Feuds make you vulnerable in ANY HEX, according to my understanding. You just can't take and burn structures in "protected hexes".

IMO, no matter what the territory capture rules end up being, with another several hundred active players in this game right now escalations would be like 1 day limited time opportunities at the very best. Probably more like 8hr. If you are not quick they will be gone. Whether I have to trot there or sprint. Once ammo is in, magic sprinting is going to be unaffordable. Let's not make the game "unfun" by nerfing regular sprinting.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post