Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Protected hexes are another blob friendly feature.

Bob
Fiery
Paddy Fitzpatrick
I generally like the changes overall as a step in the right direction. A few concerns I have…

First, the raiding for holdings must be able to take place in ANY holding, not just the outer layer. No one should be so completely safe that they can be insulated from having to deal with any sort of pvp warfare.

My impression is that this will be the case. You can raid any holding during any day, not even just the 3-day window.

We'll get into the details on this once we move on to EE 13, but I'll admit it would be more work than originally planned to allow raiding every day.

Fiery
Paddy Fitzpatrick
I propose making anyone who is in a low sec hex for more than say a half hour get pvp flagged. Let's face it if you are in say a T3 monster he for that long you are probably working the escalation or something. It increases risk and reward in a way that is more fair.

I do believe anyone who enters a Monster hex will automatically be flagged.

We talked about this as a possibility in another thread for dealing with players who run off to a High Security hex, but we're still considering what this would take to do properly. I'm also not sure exactly how much good it would do, since if you're able to run away to another hex, odds are good that you can just keep running.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Bob
I'm also not sure exactly how much good it would do, since if you're able to run away to another hex, odds are good that you can just keep running.

As someone who has chased and been chased I will say that just because you can cross hexes does not mean you will ultimately get away. Between speed boosting moves, speed potions, obstacles (both terrain and mobs), and varied crowd control moves/expendables while someone good at running will usually get away it is not guaranteed. Most running fights resolve over 2-3 hexes, beyond that the runner usually escapes unless someone happened to be coming from the direction they are heading and can cut them off. If/when falling damage gets added it will be even harder to get away in some areas despite possibly crossing several hexes.

My first thought when I read about high sec was that it had the potential to invalidate all non-feud conflict outside of surprise alpha strikes, which pretty much never happens. Our group is Lawful based and should in theory want to use high security to prevent any non feud fighting, but due to the way the systems work we're gonna have to go low sec and rely on the alliance setting instead.
Bob
Duffy Swiftshadow
Bob
I'm also not sure exactly how much good it would do, since if you're able to run away to another hex, odds are good that you can just keep running.

As someone who has chased and been chased I will say that just because you can cross hexes does not mean you will ultimately get away. Between speed boosting moves, speed potions, obstacles (both terrain and mobs), and varied crowd control moves/expendables while someone good at running will usually get away it is not guaranteed. Most running fights resolve over 2-3 hexes, beyond that the runner usually escapes unless someone happened to be coming from the direction they are heading and can cut them off.

That's good to know. Sounds like some kind of flag with a 5-10 minute cooldown would cover most chases. We just need to see what's involved in implementing that properly.
Bob
Duffy Swiftshadow
My first thought when I read about high sec was that it had the potential to invalidate all non-feud conflict outside of surprise alpha strikes, which pretty much never happens. Our group is Lawful based and should in theory want to use high security to prevent any non feud fighting, but due to the way the systems work we're gonna have to go low sec and rely on the alliance setting instead.

There are no doubt still various holes in feuding and such that we'll need to fill. It will be good to see how companies and settlements decide to handle their security settings, then iterate on that and other features based on what works and what doesn't.
Fiery
I definitely agree that a chase will more often than not go over a hex border. Sometimes the chaser may be faster, but there's decision lag on whether to give chase to an unknown. Sometimes they just aren't as prepared as the perpetrator to run.
Flari-Merchant
Why not limit the number of hexes a settlement can control(maybe by level) in order to curb "Blob"… imbalances. That might also help keep settlements from raising and lowering their support levels all the time to min/max every piece of Bulk.
Decius
Midnight
MidniteArrow
A large group will *always* be able to have a defended home with a projected force.

Automated defenses are necessary at current scale to prevent chaos. Although, I do think "months" is way too long for automated defenses to hold out.

Turning off a PvP window for a hex goes far beyond anything I'd term "automated defenses".

If we can't handle PvP at the current scale, turn off ALL PvP windows for everyone. Giving blobs a mechanical defensive advantage so they have more free time to offensively terrorize their enemies can't end well.

The PvP window is not the time when terrorizing can happen. The PvP window is when outposts can. E raided or overrun and Holdings captured.

Protected hexes are not immune to PvP. They are immune from outposts being overrun or Holdings being caputured (and maybe raids?).

The boring job of capturing lots of holdings in a row to overcome settlement defenses is something that only people willing to put in the work to acquire and run a settlement, or participate in the top levels of competitive building, will try.

Measuring the accomplishment of builders on timescales of weeks or months is appropriate. Once the long-term game is implemented, people who enjoy the long game can start to play it.

The short game is still there. Banditry will be possible, feuds will trump security level even in places where it shouldn't, and fighting people for escalation bosses will be free.
Midnight
Decius
Midnight
MidniteArrow
A large group will *always* be able to have a defended home with a projected force.

Automated defenses are necessary at current scale to prevent chaos. Although, I do think "months" is way too long for automated defenses to hold out.

Turning off a PvP window for a hex goes far beyond anything I'd term "automated defenses".

If we can't handle PvP at the current scale, turn off ALL PvP windows for everyone. Giving blobs a mechanical defensive advantage so they have more free time to offensively terrorize their enemies can't end well.

The PvP window is not the time when terrorizing can happen. The PvP window is when outposts can. E raided or overrun and Holdings captured.

Protected hexes are not immune to PvP. They are immune from outposts being overrun or Holdings being caputured (and maybe raids?).

The boring job of capturing lots of holdings in a row to overcome settlement defenses is something that only people willing to put in the work to acquire and run a settlement, or participate in the top levels of competitive building, will try.

Measuring the accomplishment of builders on timescales of weeks or months is appropriate. Once the long-term game is implemented, people who enjoy the long game can start to play it.

The short game is still there. Banditry will be possible, feuds will trump security level even in places where it shouldn't, and fighting people for escalation bosses will be free.

Less time on defense means more time available for offense. Less time required for defense locally means more time available to exert power globally. When the largest groups get it (on top of their existing advantages) and the smallest groups don't, how can that end well for anyone but the blob?
He who wrestles with us strengthens our nerves and sharpens our skill. Our antagonist is our helper.
-Edmund Burke
Duffy Swiftshadow
Bringslite of Staalgard
Why not limit the number of hexes a settlement can control(maybe by level) in order to curb "Blob"… imbalances. That might also help keep settlements from raising and lowering their support levels all the time to min/max every piece of Bulk.

I actually think this is possibly an important step they will eventually need to take to make things interesting, however I had a hard time resolving how to do it and still maintain the possibility of independent companies holding territory. I tried to resolve it with a plan I posted before but it was a bit too complex in my own opinion. I think I have a better idea now based on some of the mechanics the road-map had laid out for us, but I need to mull it over a bit more.
Edam
Duffy Swiftshadow
Bringslite of Staalgard

I actually think this is possibly an important step they will eventually need to take to make things interesting, however I had a hard time resolving how to do it and still maintain the possibility of independent companies holding territory. I tried to resolve it with a plan I posted before but it was a bit too complex in my own opinion. I think I have a better idea now based on some of the mechanics the road-map had laid out for us, but I need to mull it over a bit more.

It is actually a concern that "no influence cap", whilst designed to allow newer groups to get a foothold, will actually allow very large but relatively inactive groups to spam +0 holdings across the entire map using threat of bringing back currently inactive players as a stick to stop people contesting them.

It is the old gamin adage that anything you do to assist newer players and smaller groups invariably somehow will advantage the larger groups more smile

Interesting times ahead smile

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post