Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Protected hexes are another blob friendly feature.

Bob
Ah, I see where my statement was problematic. I didn't mean to imply that influence will necessarily be returning in its current form, just that it would continue to include the aspect of growing less and less efficient as companies grow in size. It clearly needs to be tweaked, and we have some tweaks in mind that should make it scale much better so it will work both with the current population and as the population grows. We just weren't going to be able to fully flesh out those tweaks in time for EE 12, but we still hope to be able to do them soon. My warning really is meant just to cover the more obvious cases of overreach, where a relatively small group works like crazy to earn influence while it's unlimited and then banks far more of it than larger, but still reasonably-active companies. As long as you don't feel like you're straining to take advantage of this temporary state and take over as many hexes as you possibly can, everything should be fine. That's certainly the goal of all the tweaks we're discussing.
Flari-Merchant
Bob
Ah, I see where my statement was problematic. I didn't mean to imply that influence will necessarily be returning in its current form, just that it would continue to include the aspect of growing less and less efficient as companies grow in size. It clearly needs to be tweaked, and we have some tweaks in mind that should make it scale much better so it will work both with the current population and as the population grows. We just weren't going to be able to fully flesh out those tweaks in time for EE 12, but we still hope to be able to do them soon. My warning really is meant just to cover the more obvious cases of overreach, where a relatively small group works like crazy to earn influence while it's unlimited and then banks far more of it than larger, but still reasonably-active companies. As long as you don't feel like you're straining to take advantage of this temporary state and take over as many hexes as you possibly can, everything should be fine. That's certainly the goal of all the tweaks we're discussing.

For myself, it just seemed odd that the whole removing the cap thing was to help us be able to adjust to needing to bring in more Bulk and companies mostly already being stretched. Especially if you consider that some of many settlements Holdings are just THERE NOW without players to operate them due to declining interest in the game. They are gone. The companies are GONE. They have to be removed and replaced but there are simply no players to make companies to do so…
When you advise "Do not stretch much beyond what you can achieve in Influence right now"(paraphrasing) "because that is too far when we reintroduce the cap", it sounds like we will be dropped right back into the situation that we are already in. Most companies have been around long enough that they are capped and nearly fully "banked" as well.
Flari-Merchant
Oh and just to be clear, I am fine with the possibility that my alliance's territory is too large to realistically control. I would be fine with all non subscribed characters to cease counting for company influence pools. It is going to have to be addressed sooner or later, might as well be sooner. We Old Timers are controlling more territory than is realistic because of it. It will not be fair to new players.
Nihimon
Bob
I didn't mean to imply that influence will necessarily be returning in its current form, just that it would continue to include the aspect of growing less and less efficient as companies grow in size.

Maybe I made a bad assumption. I thought the primary reason the Influence Cap was being removed was to allow very small groups to go ahead and earn enough Influence to do something useful with Holdings and Outposts now, while the population is so low. Is that the case? Or was there some other reason that I missed?
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Duffy Swiftshadow
I'm a bit curious Bob, do you guys know how many active players we actually have (not accounts, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a ton more accounts doing nothing or being used as alts)?
Bob
Nihimon
Maybe I made a bad assumption. I thought the primary reason the Influence Cap was being removed was to allow very small groups to go ahead and earn enough Influence to do something useful with Holdings and Outposts now, while the population is so low. Is that the case? Or was there some other reason that I missed?

It was certainly done in part to help things work better while the population is low, but not just as something to do until population is high enough for the original system to work. We feel that the correct solution is to fix the system so that it scales better to handle both low and high populations. On top of that, we also wanted to rebalance things between those companies that had lots of inactive characters and those that don't. We ultimately want to fix both issues properly, but this was a very quick way to achieve both goals, and we figured it was okay to have no cap temporarily because at least everyone is somewhat limited by the rate at which they can earn influence. We couldn't do the proper fixes before EE 12, but we want to get them done before the lack of limits causes its own problems.
Bob
Duffy Swiftshadow
I'm a bit curious Bob, do you guys know how many active players we actually have (not accounts, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a ton more accounts doing nothing or being used as alts)?

We have a rough idea, but players having multiple accounts (or minimally-active accounts) certainly makes it difficult to be certain. Between that and the fact that we're planning for those numbers to grow, what we're looking to do is to make the system result in an appropriate/reasonable amount of influence availability for any number of active players, or active accounts, or active characters.
Bob
Bringslite of Staalgard
When you advise "Do not stretch much beyond what you can achieve in Influence right now"(paraphrasing) "because that is too far when we reintroduce the cap", it sounds like we will be dropped right back into the situation that we are already in. Most companies have been around long enough that they are capped and nearly fully "banked" as well.

I definitely don't want to give the impression that we'll be returning things to a state that feels limited much like the current situation is. We want there to be limits to influence use, but we want them to result in a world that feels reasonable at any scale. That doesn't necessarily mean that the results are exactly the same at any scale, just that they feel reasonable at any scale, and it's fair to say that the current method of limiting influence doesn't hit that goal at the current scale. Without the limits, we could very quickly find ourselves feeling unreasonable in the opposite direction, but between the limited pace of earning influence and the logistical problems of moving around too many bulk resources, there should still be at least some limits on overall development.
Decius
Like most problems, I feel like influence can be solved with math.

Having some kind of per-holding influence sink, and making each character's weekly contribution to influence increase exponentially or logarithmically with actions performed (in addition to the current reduction for having high achievement level) seems like it would have the desired effect. Companies with few people who were very active would have influence faucets roughly equal to moderate-sized companies of moderate activity, and we could finally get rid of the problem where having recruited well in the past is perceived as providing an unfair advantage, since completely inactive players would provide no weekly influence.
Nihimon
Thanks for the replies, Bob. I'm curious to see what the system looks like and will take you at your word that it will be reasonable at any scale.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post