Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

When can we expect combat balance changes/un-nerfing?

Huran
Another disadvantage archers have is the archer armor feat only offers a max of 12 keywords (it is currently impossible to gain 13 with the existing armors).

Also, if I want to take advantage of the final keyword 'light' I am required to do extensive training in a feat I will never use in order to get the light armor proficiency 3. In other words I will never use that last keyword and there is very little incentive to put max ranks in the archer armor feat.

I don't mind rooting for longbows though I often think shortbows should allow some mobility. Running Shot is completely useless with rooting.
"Circles of power, gathered by EARTH, welcomed by GOLD, in strife and in mirth. Focused by CRYSTAL, guided by LIGHT, showing the way, by day and by night. wrought in IRON, strengthened by STEEL, together we stand, in wrack and in weal. Hidden in SHADOW, explored by WOOD, we circle together, for the greater good." –Maxikyd– http://www.kotcguild.com/
Fiery
I think the solution to that, Huran, is to take away the ability to match 13 keywords. I don't recall the design intent ever being to allow more than a 12-keyword match.
Huran
Fiery
I think the solution to that, Huran, is to take away the ability to match 13 keywords. I don't recall the design intent ever being to allow more than a 12-keyword match.

Totally agree, the combat guide has all the armors as only 12 keywords and Stephen told me at PaizoCon many moons ago that if we ever benefited from more than 12 we should consider it a bug. I have no idea at what point it changed, but it was mentioned that it was changed to 13 somewhere along the line.
"Circles of power, gathered by EARTH, welcomed by GOLD, in strife and in mirth. Focused by CRYSTAL, guided by LIGHT, showing the way, by day and by night. wrought in IRON, strengthened by STEEL, together we stand, in wrack and in weal. Hidden in SHADOW, explored by WOOD, we circle together, for the greater good." –Maxikyd– http://www.kotcguild.com/
Fiery
I don't think that was ever mentioned. My supposition is that the team was laid off before we hit the point where putting the tech in to limit it to 12 became relevant.
Huran
Fiery
I don't think that was ever mentioned. My supposition is that the team was laid off before we hit the point where putting the tech in to limit it to 12 became relevant.

Bob mentioned it in a post where I specifically asked the question. I would have to dig a bit to find it again though but it is on these forums.

Edit:
Relevant link here: Keyword Clarification
Bob
I remember the archer conversation and do intend to look into it at some point. I might be able to just fiddle with the keywords a bit, or introduce a new set of armor (reusing existing art), but I'll have to do some research to see what the best choice is. I think I filed a bug on it during the first conversation, but I'll double-check on Monday to make sure. Basically, we use the bug lists to prioritize what to look at whenever some time clears up, or whenever we happen to be looking at a system in-depth and it would be convenient to fix a few things while we're there. Just pointing that out so y'all don't worry too much about reporting bugs even if you don't think they'd be our top priority at the moment. It's still good to know about them so we can get them listed for fixing at the appropriate time.
Edam
I see no big issue with 13 keywords so long as ALL armor feats can get 13 keywords. Otherwise it is unbalanced.

Note that one obvious side effect of the 13 keyword armors with max 12 keyword weapons is your buffs, heals etc from focuses, wands, melee attacks can never be "100%" even on a T3+3 focus etc. In reality this should only be an issue for anal retentive types that like to see "100%" on the mouse over as balance-wise 90% of a slightly bigger buff is mechanically identical to 100% of a smaller one.
Nihimon
There is a potential problem with 13 Keywords matching on Armor when it exacerbates another problem with extremely high Defense scores (like, over 350), where it becomes virtually impossible to apply enough stacking debuffs to lower the Defense score enough for normal attacks to start landing and being effective.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Nihimon
Also, there seems to be a problem with Rambler. I think the Truesilver keyword at 10 and the Shadowskin keyword at 14 should be swapped. As it is, rank 10 requires a recipe that can only be made by a Tailor 20, while Strapped Shadowskin is made by a Leatherworker (just like the best matches at Tier 1 and Tier 2) at rank 14.
Nihimon murmurs in sheer ecstasy as the magic courses through his veins
Edam
Nihimon
Also, there seems to be a problem with Rambler. I think the Truesilver keyword at 10 and the Shadowskin keyword at 14 should be swapped. As it is, rank 10 requires a recipe that can only be made by a Tailor 20, while Strapped Shadowskin is made by a Leatherworker (just like the best matches at Tier 1 and Tier 2) at rank 14.

True, though a +0 Truesilver Shirt does match Rambler 10 for 10 keywords.

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post