Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Mage Tanks

Fiery
I agree that *now* may not be the best time to address it. As long as it's recognized as a potential issue to keep an eye on, I think I'm satisfied.
Duffy Swiftshadow
Lisa Stevens
Duffy Swiftshadow
Just for some personal context: I'll raid every night and lose (like no gains per night of losing) 6 out of 7 nights a week in your typical WoW themepark game trying to perfect execution on an encounter and pull off the win. But I will do everything in my power to avoid spending an evening doing a PFO escalation even though I will not die and I will get 'good' loot at the end. That where I stand on PvE content, PFO is ridiculously lacking and many of the things we're discussing are some of the reasons for it.

It will be very interesting to see if you think that PVE is so easy after this next build. The AI should be a little more unpredictable and every battle a bit more challenging.

In all honesty while I think the changes will be a good shakeup even if it just negates the separate party one man pull tactic and keeps some of the half out of it folks DPSing on their toes, I don't think it's gonna change much of anything outside of Nhur's potential crystal DPS race. I'll let you know what I think after we hit one of the T3 escalations after the patch.
Fiery
It's a significant increase in difficulty, IMO. I think some of the changes affects parts of our playstyles that we've developed over the years in ways not immediately obvious.
Mistwalker
Fiery
Mistwalker
Out of curiosity, how many of those saying that Devrourer's Caress should be nerfed are mages (besides Nihimon)?
I don't play a wizard on live, though I've started experimenting with them on the test server. I'm not sure if the implication is inexperience with the role, or personal interest, but I also think there are severely imbalanced things a rogue can do that need to be addressed, and I play a rogue as one of my two combat characters.

My question was more to see if those lobbying for the change had played a mage tank in game, seeing both the benefits and the downsides to the build. It looks like a fair number of those asking for the nerf haven't played a mage, are simply seeing it from the outside, so not seeing any of the limitations or weaknesses.
Mistwalker
Fiery
I agree that *now* may not be the best time to address it. As long as it's recognized as a potential issue to keep an eye on, I think I'm satisfied.

This is why I started my first post in this thread with "I am opposed to any tinkering with cantrips at this time."

All roles should be looked at once the current roadmap has been completed. And evaluated on how things are with more systems in place, and if any imbalance issues will be addressed by things in the next roadmap or if they need a temporary fix now.
You are a Troll
Mistwalker
Fiery
Mistwalker
Out of curiosity, how many of those saying that Devrourer's Caress should be nerfed are mages (besides Nihimon)?
I don't play a wizard on live, though I've started experimenting with them on the test server. I'm not sure if the implication is inexperience with the role, or personal interest, but I also think there are severely imbalanced things a rogue can do that need to be addressed, and I play a rogue as one of my two combat characters.

My question was more to see if those lobbying for the change had played a mage tank in game, seeing both the benefits and the downsides to the build. It looks like a fair number of those asking for the nerf haven't played a mage, are simply seeing it from the outside, so not seeing any of the limitations or weaknesses.

Yes a have a mage character that has Chill Touch and DC at level 6. Yes it should be nerfed for all the various reasons people have stated.
Dreggo
Recently ranked it up to 6 on my Evoker to try it out since I'd seen a lot of folks using it. I would ordinarily start off the fight with a big long range AoE and then spam glittering blast until I got into melee and then start kiting. Now I'm able to just stand in there and tank it. Fun, but yeah, seems not quite right.
Giorgio
Mistwalker

All of my PCs are either Fighters or Freeholders, so in general I want to see all Mages nerfed, and all Rogues treated as vile outcasts, you know, for "balance reasons". (Grin)

Clerics are cool though, they should definably get extra bonuses to buff/heal their Fighter and Freeholder mates, just saying. smile
First Elder Durin Steelforge; Leader of Forgeholm; Founder of Steelforge Engineering Company

PM Giorgo on Paizo Forums
PM Admin George on Commonwealth of the Free Highlands
Demiurge
Just stick a similar feat onto shields so the other classes can get in on the party and stop whining.
Paddy Fitzpatrick
If cleric heals were buffed then real tanking could become a thing, or at least you could have a primary and secondary tank. If shields added bonuses to resistance or defenses then again, tanking could be a thing. If heavy armor offered more than just physical resistance tanking could be a thing.

Right now, there is no way you can get tanking from any class in the way the term is understood in traditional MMOs.
Paddy Fitzpatrick - Rí Ruírec of Fianna, roaming bands of noble warriors!
Member of the Kathalpas Coalition and home of bandits, privateers, and anyone looking to get away from the shackles of law.
Find us on PFO Discord

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post