Cookies Disclaimer

I agree Our site saves small pieces of text information (cookies) on your device in order to authenticate logins, deliver better content and provide statistical analysis. You can adjust your browser settings to prevent our site from using cookies, but doing so will prevent some aspects of the site from functioning properly.

Scrimmage:Tools and/or Better Methods than Sieges to Resolve Conflict

Flari-Merchant
What kind of debuff could be impactful enough but not too much that it makes players think twice before digging in your garden? What makes a vendetta a reasonable Risk to suffer for the Reward of getting away with whatever you might do to incur The Wrath?

Remember the original assassination mechanics debuffs were more about weakening aspects of settlements than direct character punishment.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Duffy Swiftshadow
Bringslite of Staalgard
What kind of debuff could be impactful enough but not too much that it makes players think twice before digging in your garden? What makes a vendetta a reasonable Risk to suffer for the Reward of getting away with whatever you might do to incur The Wrath?

Remember the original assassination mechanics debuffs were more about weakening aspects of settlements than direct character punishment.

I admit I don't have a good idea right now, maybe lowers support? Useful but maybe not super fun or fair. I sorta like the the 'drop your threaded' gear route I offered the more I think about it. Another perk, such a mechanic can also be used to finally engage crafters who never leave town.
The Eternal Balance
Maybe it takes away 25 influence from their company? Dropping threaded gear would be fun and interesting too, as well as economy stimulating.

Most important though, as Duffy points out, is being able to FIND someone in the game to carry out your assassination/grudge/vendetta.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Duffy Swiftshadow
The Eternal Balance
Maybe it takes away 25 influence from their company? Dropping threaded gear would be fun and interesting too, as well as economy stimulating.

Most important though, as Duffy points out, is being able to FIND someone in the game to carry out your assassination/grudge/vendetta.

Meh smaller amounts of influence is recovered in a few hours solo, less with people around. I also feel weird taking away influence that way as a 'punishment', most wouldn't really care and if they did it would be another affect the group for one person's actions thing. It would need to be big to have an impact but at that point it's an easier way to mess with holdings…not sure I like that as a solution to the problem.

Something else to maybe spitball, how much would this theoretical personal action cost? I'm thinking between 50-100 influence per individual target. More if it's a general group targeting. I do feel that if something like the dethreading idea was the result making it group targeted is sketchy, the single target sounds 'fairer' for the cost and effort.
Decius
For lookouts, suppose that there was an outpost that produced no/less bulk resource, but allowed authorized users to see if/number/reputation /settlement/company/name of whomever was in the hex, based on the lower of outpost or holding upgrade level?
Gross
Decius
For lookouts, suppose that there was an outpost that produced no/less bulk resource, but allowed authorized users to see if/number/reputation /settlement/company/name of whomever was in the hex, based on the lower of outpost or holding upgrade level?

+1 I don't like automatic things, rather things that assist active groups in managing things.
Mercenary monster hunter from Forgeholm
War priest of Angradd… patiently waiting on Goblinworks to deliver him (and greataxes, Dwarves need 2 handed axes).
Duffy Swiftshadow
Decius

While kind of neat I think it still unfortunately falls into the lucky bracket and is borderline worthless for actually finding anyone, you can cross a hex in less than two minutes. Historical data cold be useful but I'm leery of something like that as it's far too passive. We need an active mechanic that requires us to run around doing stuff but has enough range to point us in the direction of other people long BEFORE we stumble run into each other.

Think something like 3-5 hex range max that gives you a hot or cold in a direction and gives more specific info the closer you get until you have an approximate location in the neighboring hex. Something to get you to the point of trying to setup up some conflict and requiring folks to at least be on guard or aware a bit. This is one area I definitely think PFO needs to learn from EVE about creating incidental conflict.
Edam
Duffy Swiftshadow
Decius

While kind of neat I think it still unfortunately falls into the lucky bracket and is borderline worthless for actually finding anyone, you can cross a hex in less than two minutes. Historical data cold be useful but I'm leery of something like that as it's far too passive. We need an active mechanic that requires us to run around doing stuff but has enough range to point us in the direction of other people long BEFORE we stumble run into each other.

Think something like 3-5 hex range max that gives you a hot or cold in a direction and gives more specific info the closer you get until you have an approximate location in the neighboring hex. Something to get you to the point of trying to setup up some conflict and requiring folks to at least be on guard or aware a bit. This is one area I definitely think PFO needs to learn from EVE about creating incidental conflict.
… maybe

but this sort of thing (along with viewing remote bank vaults) is something that definitely should be a trained skill that only gets to maximum level after some non-trivial investment of XP

In particular I would want to avoid a situation where groups can monitor large slabs of territory by just logging in a scattering of untrained alts strategically positioned around the map.
Flari-Merchant
It all goes back to why tiny issues have to be full blown feuds that are at minimum attacks on Holdings. You just can't find the rascals that you want to find when you want to find them. A particular character's company affiliation and any holdings of that company are EASY to find. Where an individual is at any given moment is almost impossible if no one who knows will cooperate.

This patch will help a bit as far as what can be done to inconvenience a player that you want to punish and I think that it will be a powerful tool when used in concert with many settlements but a weak tool in general for this purpose.

I agree that skills for locating individual players should be trained skills. The more training, the better and more potent the efficacy. What I am really wondering is: can ways to accomplish this be done with a limited number of coding fingers and limited time? OR would it be worth the precious time to make happen?

IMO, yeah adding options to conflict resolution could only be a plus.
"I buy Azoth for 5sp/ea. I will trade Enchanting or other rare materials/anything for Azoth. Contact me if interested. GET YOUR COIN EASY!"
uotopia@msn.com
Flari-Merchant
The more that I think about this, the more that I can't shake the feeling that Reward for PVP needs to be addressed before any of this. Yes there is reward for attacking haulers and gatherers if you can catch them at the right time. There is pretty much NO reward on offer for winning against a RPK attack, except the reward of not losing your own stuff and sweet victory hormones.

Raiding will hopefully be a good answer for some gang sized Risk/Reward. I wish that the GW team had the time to look into our gear dropping in some semi random way. I think that will be an important missing aspect for OE if there isn't a good, well developed, PVP reward system.

Edit: Reward for Duffy's "vendetta" idea could be covered by a debuff, but a general system of gear loss would overall be better(IMO) because it could cover more cases and risk/reward scenarios.
uotopia@msn.com

You must be logged into an enrolled account to post